sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - JW: $60.91M - I2: 46.42M - Sicario: $19.00M - Uncle Drew: $15.24M

11 minutes ago, Mulder said:

No one's calling JW:FK's international take bad. But it's domestic run is definitely a sharp decrease from the first.

Big time, yes.  Good thing North America is only one market.

Just now, baumer said:

Big time, yes.  Good thing North America is only one market.

Yeah which doesn't bode well for the next one or the rest of the world. Look at what happened with Age of Extinction vs The Last Knight.

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Also international eventually runs out too. Look at The Last Knight. You can't solely look at international to determine success.

Funny I always read this about films that people don't seem to care for.  Transformers ran out after 5 films.  The first four were massive hits.  I get that this is technically the fifth film as well, but it's only the second of the new trilogy.  So I think it's done just fine.  

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Yeah which doesn't bode well for the next one or the rest of the world. Look at what happened with Age of Extinction vs The Last Knight.

You can't use Transformers in the same breath as JW.  

Just now, baumer said:

Funny I always read this about films that people don't seem to care for.  Transformers ran out after 5 films.  The first four were massive hits.  I get that this is technically the fifth film as well, but it's only the second of the new trilogy.  So I think it's done just fine.  

Well yeah because those are the ones that tend to decrease though you could apply this to Justice League, Solo etc etc.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

You can't use Transformers in the same breath as JW.  

Yes you can they're very much the same breed. Big action movies made as popcorn films with kid appeal.

• Like 1

Jurassic World has one more film left in its franchise with Pratt as the lead (I don’t see them make a fourth) so I don’t see why folks are freaking out over the decrease in Fallen Kingdom. Its decrease is nothing to worry about when you look at it from that point of view. Fallen Kingdom is going to make $1.2B. Even if it’s sequel decreases by another $400M, it’s still going to make $800M. $800M on a budget under $200M is essentially what the MCU (apart from the team up and BP) movies are doing now a days so even if Jurassic World franchise sees another drop off in the third film, it’s still going to be a success no matter what. And a trilogy that ends up with $3.6B (if we use $800M for the third film which it’ll prob do more) off of budgets that cost less than $600M. Im sure any studio would take that pay off any day of the week so yea not sure why folks keep insisting that there’s something to worry about when it comes to this franchise. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yes you can they're very much the same breed. Big action movies made as popcorn films with kid appeal.

No, they aren't.  Transformers had a film that everyone pretty ....you know what, forget it.  Think whatever you want.  I can't explain it to you.  It's not going to matter anyway.  Bottom line is this is going to decline by about 25% from the last film WW.  It'll be massively profitable for Uni.  And those are facts.  The rest is all speculation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Jurassic World has one more film left in its franchise with Pratt as the lead (I don’t see them make a fourth) so I don’t see why folks are freaking out over the decrease in Fallen Kingdom. Its decrease is nothing to worry about when you look at it from that point of view. Fallen Kingdom is going to make $1.2B. Even if it’s sequel decreases by another $400M, it’s still going to make $800M. $800M on a budget under $200M is essentially what the MCU (apart from the team up and BP) movies are doing now a days so even if Jurassic World franchise sees another drop off in the third film, it’s still going to be a success no matter what. And a trilogy that ends up with $3.6B (if we use $800M for the third film which it’ll prob do more) off of budgets that cost less than $600M. Im sure any studio would take that pay off any day of the week so yea not sure why folks keep insisting that there’s something to worry about when it comes to this franchise. 

Except Trevorrow's hinted a few times that they have plans beyond Jurassic World 3.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Stop making sense.  You'll offend some of the posters here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 2

No, they aren't.  Transformers had a film that everyone pretty ....you know what, forget it.  Think whatever you want.  I can't explain it to you.  It's not going to matter anyway.  Bottom line is this is going to decline by about 25% from the last film WW.  It'll be massively profitable for Uni.  And those are facts.  The rest is all speculation.

Yeah but ignoring the vastly different picture JW:FK's domestic take is doing isn't looking at both sides of this. Worldwide yes it's done very well ((Thanks to Asia mainly)) but at the same time you can't ignore the domestic drop it's had.

9 minutes ago, Mulder said:

But Americans mostly watch superhero movies, Star Wars and cartoons now - it has become a very peculiar market. Look at the Resident Evil series, it became ever more successful while dying domestically.

Edited by MrGlass2

Just now, Mulder said:

Yeah but ignoring the vastly different picture JW:FK's domestic take is doing isn't looking at both sides of this. Worldwide yes it's done very well ((Thanks to Asia mainly)) but at the same time you can't ignore the domestic drop it's had.

That's all that needs to be said.  

Stop making sense.  You'll offend some of the posters here.

I think this is kind of a weird thing to say when in your round up post you were the one who acted like people saying anything negative about FK's box office at all were making things up rather then just looking at a different side of the equation.

That's all that needs to be said.  

Not really? Could one not say the same about Batman v Superman or The Last Jedi? Look where those lead. Hell the same thing happened with Age of Extinction. Everyone assumed it'd be fine even if domestic decreased because of how well it did overseas.

Just now, Mulder said:

I think this is kind of a weird thing to say when in your round up post you were the one who acted like people saying anything negative about FK's box office at all were making things up rather then just looking at a different side of the equation.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

But Americans mostly watch superhero movies and cartoons now - it has become a very peculiar market. Look at the Resident Evil series, it became ever more successful while dying domestically.

The worldwide Top 5 and the Domestic Top 5 are the exact same rn so the tastes seem to be aligned. Not to mention Quiet Place did incredibly well domestically, way better then it did internationally.

Just now, Mulder said:

Not really? Could one not say the same about Batman v Superman or The Last Jedi? Look where those lead. Hell the same thing happened with Age of Extinction. Everyone assumed it'd be fine even if domestic decreased because of how well it did overseas.

Everyone knew that AOE was the nail in the coffin for TRF.  Not the extent that TLK ended up doing but AOE was shit and everyone said so.  JWFK is still really well liked by many and the wom is pretty split, not horrid like AOE was. 

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Except Trevorrow's hinted a few times that they have plans beyond Jurassic World 3.

Okay and even if they do have plans beyond JW3, if they right the ship with JW3 then I don’t see the issue. What kills franchises is when you put out bad movie after bad movie. I haven’t seen Fallen Kingdom so I can’t say what kind of film it is but it seems to me that WOM is mixed. So right now JW as a franchise doesn’t fall into the bad movie after bad movie territory. 

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Everyone knew that AOE was the nail in the coffin for TRF.  Not the extent that TLK ended up doing but AOE was shit and everyone said so.  JWFK is still really well liked by many and the wom is pretty split, not horrid like AOE was. 

No a lot of people ((including yourself)) said TF as a franchise would be fine because of how good the international take was, which back then was a sensible take, but it's clear now that international won't lap up bad sequels like The Last Knight or Pacific Rim: Uprising and even more divisive ones like Batman v Superman: DoJ or The Last Jedi impact international takes as well, like JL and Solo. FK also had sharp 2nd weekend drops in Europe as well so it's not limited to just America.

Just now, Nova said:

Okay and even if they do have plans beyond JW3, if they right the ship with JW3 then I don’t see the issue. What kills franchises is when you put out bad movie after bad movie. I haven’t seen Fallen Kingdom so I can’t say what kind of film it is but it seems to me that WOM is mixed. So right now JW as a franchise doesn’t fall into the bad movie after bad movie territory. 

I mean it's possible they do, but it's clear there's fatigue with the Jurassic Franchise and the reviews for FK are as bad as JP3 with a 60% audience rating on RT. That's not exactly something to aim for and with Trevorrow writing JW3 I don't see it changing.