cookie

CAYOM Y4 - Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, Rorschach said:

maxresdefault.jpg

To explain this without delving into spoilers (I'm still keeping behind a tag but I can assure everyone there are no spoilers):

Spoiler

I think TSW was just me overdescribing every scene and then not finding the time to trim it down because when you really look at it it's not that long. The only extended part imo is the opening. Heck I kinda calculated the runtime later (I think when you go past 140 minutes without credits you have to make sure every extra minute counts) and found it didn't really need to be 162 minutes, probably closer to 150. I'd apply the same thing to Voltron 2 which could've shaved off ten to fifteen minutes easy.

Reunion is... different, and I guess what has me worried about it is that it's basically a play in four acts.

You have the pre-title sequence prologue (longer than 2 but mercifully shorter than TSW)

The first act, which will probably feel similar in structure to its predecessors as it is one long setup to a major setpiece about 45-50 minutes in. That set piece btw (a variation of that is in the trailer I posted during the Oscars but that trailer is otherwise very out of date) is the big turning point, i.e the story takes a major left turn from that point on.

Then comes what I call The Second Act Part I, which is light on the action but heavy on character development, introductions, plot reveals and a bit of world building. Again, no spoilers.

Then comes The Second Act Part II, where most of the setup in Part I pays off as we hone in on one location and it's almost nothing but high-stakes action and drama. That fifteen-minute sequence I mentioned? That in itself is a little under 3k, I think. I finished a ten minute bit yesterday that's about 2k. Both will be trimmed but I'm not sure by how much.

Then there's a bit of a lull and we get to the third act, which in itself is in two pieces but each short enough so it doesn't take up more than one act.

Then the epilogue, which given all the shit that went down is surprisingly short.

(I don't usually consider prologues and epilogues part of the 'act' structure since the main plot begins and resolves within the 'acts')

And that's not even getting into that, while it has a beginning and an end, the story is far from over and we have a whole other movie to do stuff that didn't make it into this one.

I looked into long blockbusters like The Dark Knight RisesThe Last Jedi, Civil War and Infinity WarMission: Impossible - Fallout and even a little bit of the Lord of The Rings movies to see how they handled their structure. I think I came up with something that could reasonably be told within 165 minutes.

...I hope.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cookie said:

To explain this without delving into spoilers (I'm still keeping behind a tag but I can assure everyone there are no spoilers):

Reveal hidden contents

Mass Effect is kinda falling into a four act structure as well, in that there's two separate rises and falls in the middle before going into the third act showdown.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Looking at new memes for my grading system. Keeping the coveted Expand Dong as well as the Arthur roast and the Sonic one.

Since you're doing number grades, from what rank are you granted expanding ape genitalia?

• Like 1

Just now, Rorschach said:

You have my attention. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler