grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They didn't get any more political than they've always been but hey, you do you.

and you said for years the Oscar show was going perfectly fine yet the desperate attempts by the academy show otherwise...

I disagree, it seems the Oscars are more politics than about movies in the 2010s and it makes sense as the target audience is less casual now.

It seems to me that all these Desperate attempts by the Academy lately is trying to get more casual viewers back to watching or caring about the Oscars. 

I think that in this fragmented media landscape, the Oscars has their target audience and should stick to appeasing them instead.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

I disagree, it seems the Oscars are more politics then about movies in the 2010s lol

lol then you clearly haven't been watching the Oscars in years. The past few Golden Globes ceremonies have been much more overtly political and no one gives them any flack for it (then again, they also keep things moving with both film and TV sides and don't bog things down with unnecessary tributes and unfunny skits).

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Of course you did not read my post as always...

I said the Oscars got more political in the 2000s and ever since have lost ratings and relevance.  The Oscars have always been political but it is now a greater part now and I think you can understand to a lot of people they dont have an interest in that regardless of their politics.

Nope

3 ACTORS THREATENED WITH OSCAR BAN

By Yardena Arar, Los Angeles Daily News

Oscar telecast producer Gil Cates has threatened to ban Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins from future awards shows he produces because they departed from their scripted speeches Monday night to make political statements about Haitian refugees and Tibet.

Noting that past performers George C. Scott, Vanessa Redgrave and Marlon Brando have used the Academy Awards as a political soapbox, Cates said, "If a nominee wins an award and chooses to spend the 45 seconds in accepting the award to say something silly, that's their prerogative, because they won the award and it's their 45 seconds."But for Richard Gere and Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, who were presenters - that means they were invited by the show to present the awards, they were guests of the show - for them to then get on the show and espouse their own political beliefs is rude and inappropriate and unacceptable behavior." 

Other Oscar attendees chose to make their political statements with an increasingly diverse collection of multicolored ribbons.

Most in evidence were the red ribbons, including a tiny enamel pin worn by Elizabeth Taylor, which stand for AIDS awareness. But Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman wore purple ribbons, which Washington's publicist said stood for the fight against urban violence, and Geena Davis said a pink ribbon she was wearing stood for breast cancer awareness.

An estimated 76 million viewers in the United States tuned in to all or part of ABC's telecast on Monday, according to the ABC research department. One billion viewers worldwide tuned into the broadcast from the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles, the network said. A rating of 31.2 and a 51 percent share were the largest for the Oscars since 1983, making it the third highest rated program of the 1992-93 TV season.

Critics across the country weren't as kind as viewers. Pundits lambasted the 65th annual Academy Awards show as "more self-asphyxiating than usual" and "not Oscar's finest moment."

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The difference is the avg person in 1993 likely knew Unforgiven won Best Pic while I doubt hardly anyone knows Shape of the Water won the best pic this year...Therefore regardless of that story you brought up, Unforgiven became a very popular best pic winner. 

My point is regardless of the politics, the movie that won was the main story usually in the past while last year the Oscars were all about #metoo. There is nothing wrong about that, it's just a smaller and changing demo that is watching the show. As a result, winning the best Pic has nowhere near the impact it did ten years ago as the show is less about movies and glamour. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

44 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The difference is the avg person in 1993 likely knew Unforgiven won Best Pic while I doubt hardly anyone knows Shape of the Water won the best pic this year...Therefore regardless of that story you brought up, Unforgiven became a very popular best pic winner. 

My point is regardless of the politics, the movie that won was the main story usually in the past while last year the Oscars were all about #metoo. There is nothing wrong about that, it's just a smaller and changing demo that is watching the show. As a result, winning the best Pic has nowhere near the impact it did ten years ago as the show is less about movies and glamour. 

No lordmandeep, you didn't say that. You said oscars have gotten more political. 

50 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Image result for keep telling yourself that gif

13 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

You really think the oscars are as mainstream and relevant as 5, 10 20 years ago even after the recent desperation from the Academy?

Keep telling yourself that I think 

First it was people are tuning out of Oscars because they've become political (BS since they're no more political now than they've always been). Now it's because the Best Picture winner doesn't make oodles of money even though TV ratings are cratering in general and you know it. You need to decide which argument you want to stick with.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

First it was people are tuning out of Oscars because they've become political (BS since they're no more political now than they've always been). Now it's because the Best Picture winner doesn't make oodles of money even though TV ratings are cratering in general and you know it. You need to decide which argument you want to stick with.

They fell by like 20% this year, that is far more than the general trend of TV ratings. Also, the argument falls flat as ratings climbed for years until 2014. 

At the current trend its heading for a nearly 40-50% reduction in ratings in 4-5 years.  I do not see any news that social media interaction is increasing at the same rate or there are millions of people streaming the show either.

That clearly is a sign of people losing interest for whatever reason and is why the Academy is making or musing about such rash changes. Things are not all right as you and many of you have claimed for years.

Frankly I think the Academy has its crowd and such cater to it and doing stuff like a popular award will just piss off the people who still care for the oscars. 

closerlook_oscars2-3_-_embed_2018.jpg

Edited by Lordmandeep

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure nonsense like this:

Is what has been causing people to lose interest in watching the Oscars live, not because the Best Picture winner is a low-budget movie in which Sally Hawkins fucks a fish.

Lol how do people know before the Oscar shows starts that is going to be lame and have stupid sketches?

Would they have to be interested in the first place? 

Wow you guys are really grasping for straws.

No doubt Ellen in 2014 helped a lot but there is clear evidence that rating spike when the films nominated include films that are not only big box office hits but have a storyline that is appealing to a wide audience. For example 12 years a Slave is far more interesting to people than a film about having sex with a fish. 

I would bet money that the 2018 Oscars can have the same stupid gags and Sketches but would see a Ratings Spike if Black Panther had a real chance at Best Picture.

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Lol how do people know before the Oscar shows starts that is going to be lame and have stupid sketches?

Have you ever watched an Oscar show before? Or an Oscar show since the year Hugh Jackman hosted (the last time we actually had a great Oscar show IMO even though that one also had its share of moments that felt like padding)? Judging by most of your posts here, I'm guessing no. 

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Have you ever watched an Oscar show before? Or an Oscar show since the year Hugh Jackman hosted (the last time we actually had a great Oscar show IMO even though that one also had its share of moments that felt like padding)? Judging by most of your posts here, I'm guessing no. 

You are saying the Oscars ratings have fallen due to bad gags and hosts, but are you willing to say the ratings would decline again by 10-20% if Black Panther was nominated this year?

Yes or no? 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

You are saying the Oscars ratings have fallen due to bad gags and hosts, but are you willing to say the ratings would decline again if Black Panther was nominated this year?

Don't ask me, I can't predict the future of TV ratings. Though I'm hard-pressed to think who would watch a three-hour show in this day and age just because they only saw one movie out of 9. American Sniper being a box office monster didn't prevent a nearly 20% decline.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Don't ask me, I can't predict the future of TV ratings. Though I'm hard-pressed to think who would watch a three-hour show in this day and age just because they only saw one movie out of 9. American Sniper being a box office monster didn't prevent a nearly 20% decline.

From a decade high...

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

People stopping watching the show mid course affect rating I think. But yes, the actual show cannot have that big of an effect.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

No doubt Ellen in 2014 helped a lot but there is clear evidence that rating spike when the films nominated include films that are not only big box office hits but have a storyline that is appealing to a wide audience. For example 12 years a Slave is far more interesting to people than a film about having sex with a fish. 

I would bet money that the 2018 Oscars can have the same stupid gags and Sketches but would see a Ratings Spike if Black Panther had a real chance at Best Picture.

And some would go the interesting storyline about those 2 movies politicial ;)

If Black Panther gets nominated for Best Picture, that alone should help the Oscars see a noticeable spike in viewership compared to this year. It would most likely annoy a number of film snobs, but it’s not like there’s no precedent for big budget blockbuster movies getting nominated for that award. 

Edited by WittyUsername