grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

7 hours ago, grim22 said:

They were honest to god discussing audience voting

That would be hysterical. Imagine, since in their ill-thought out rules, one could be nominated for BP and Popular Film, the stans voting five thousand times for Star is Born and Beautiful Boy!

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

She was the nice, obedient little soldier of the oppressive male patriarchy on set.

Until she started to read Feminism Litterature 3.0 when she started her Lucasfilm Gig.

from now on when you quote my posts try to not be weird. thanks in advance.

And the winners are....non-negotiable list based on World Wide Box Office Gross, I know 2018 isn't over but nothing is touching Avengers for this year. 

2018 - Avengers - Infinity War 
2017 - Star Wars - The Last Jedi
2016 - Captain America - Civil War
2015 - Star Wars - The Force Awakens
2014 - Transformers - Age of Extinction
2013 - Frozen
2012 - Marvel's The Avengers
2011 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
2010 - Toy Story 3
2009 - Avatar 
2008 - The Dark Knight
2007 - Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End
2006 - Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest
2005 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
2004 - Shrek 2
2003 - Lord of the Rings - Return of the King
2002 - Lord of the Rings - Two Towers
2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
2000 - Mission Impossible II
1999 - Star Wars - Phantom Menace
1998 - Armageddon
1997 - Titanic
1996 - Independence Day
1995 - Toy Story
1994 - The Lion King
1993 - Jurassic Park
1992 - Aladdin
1991 - Terminator 2 - Judgement Day
1990 - Ghost

1989 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1988 - Rain Man

1987 - Fatal Attraction

1986 - Top Gun

1985 - Back to the Future

1984 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

1983 - Star Wars - Return of the Jedi

1982 - E.T.

1981 - Raiders of the Lost Ark

1980 - Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back

Edited by Deuce66

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, Warmaster506 said:

Disney backed out because they competition is starting to get fierce. 

Nice way to try to get around that your whole "Disney is behind this" conspiracy theory has just fallen apart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

And the winners are....non-negotiable list based on World Wide Box Office Gross, I know 2018 isn't over but nothing is touching Avengers for this year. 

2018 - Avengers - Infinity War 
2017 - Star Wars - The Last Jedi
2016 - Captain America - Civil War
2015 - Star Wars - The Force Awakens
2014 - Transformers - Age of Extinction
2013 - Frozen
2012 - Marvel's The Avengers
2011 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
2010 - Toy Story 3
2009 - Avatar 
2008 - The Dark Knight
2007 - Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End
2006 - Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest
2005 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
2004 - Shrek 2
2003 - Lord of the Rings - Return of the King
2002 - Lord of the Rings - Two Towers
2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
2000 - Mission Impossible II
1999 - Star Wars - Phantom Menace
1998 - Armageddon
1997 - Titanic
1996 - Independence Day
1995 - Toy Story
1994 - The Lion King
1993 - Jurassic Park
1992 - Aladdin
1991 - Terminator 2 - Judgement Day
1990 - Ghost

1989 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1988 - Rain Man

1987 - Fatal Attraction

1986 - Top Gun

1985 - Back to the Future

1984 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

1983 - Star Wars - Return of the Jedi

1982 - E.T.

1981 - Raiders of the Lost Ark

1980 - Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back

Great proof of why this award was such a bad idea.

Well, audience voting would have been the least problematic definition for "popular"

I guess it might be worth considering separating movies that have already had a box office run from ones that are riding on Oscar attention to support their own, but that still feels potentially too complicated to set concrete parameters for. 

Edited by tribefan695

2 hours ago, GirafficPark said:

Audience voting right now would be horrible. The world has never been so polarised. BP might get a LOT of votes, but there would without doubt be an organised counter voting strategy doing on.

Can't wait till all the alt-right nerds try to get Dinesh D'Souza's documentary nominated for an Oscar

Edited by Alpha

39 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Can't wait till all the alt-right nerds try to get Dinesh D'Souza's documentary nominated for an Oscar

that would be the most epic troll job in history

Just watching someone on stage having to read off a nominee like Dinesh D'Souza's Hillary's America would be a sight to behold

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm pretty sure the political spectrum of people who actually care about the Oscars leans far to the left

It probably does but as soon as you add a viewer participation component you're creating what some will view as a platform.  What you'd end up with is the prestige normally associated with an Academy Award crossed with the shenanigans of the RT audience score.

12 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm pretty sure the political spectrum of people who actually care about the Oscars leans far to the left

Oddly I dont think that was the case in the 90s, it sort of changed around the late 2000s I think.

I think that explains why the Oscars ratings and relevance has gone down. Not because Conservatives are boycotting it, more people a lot of people don't want to hear a 4-hour circle jerk of Hollywood elites morally grandstand on issues.

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Oddly I dont think that was the case in the 90s, it sort of changed around the late 2000s I think.

I think that explains why the Oscars ratings and relevance has gone down. Not because Conservatives are boycotting it, more people a lot of people don't want to hear a 4-hour circle jerk of Hollywood elites morally grandstand on issues.

lol saying that the Oscars were barely political before the Obama/Trump era is one hell of an attempt at revisionism. Sacheen Littlefeather or Michael Moore getting booed for dissing Bush Jr., anyone?

Besides, if some random celebrity making statements about real world events triggers you, it says more about you than it does about them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Alpha said:

Kind of akin to Bristol Palin sticking around via audience vote week after week on Dancing With The Stars even though she danced like an aged truck stop waitress who'd been on her feet for 24 hours.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol saying that the Oscars were barely political before the Obama/Trump era is one hell of an attempt at revisionism. Sacheen Littlefeather or Michael Moore getting booed for dissing Bush Jr., anyone?

Besides, if some random celebrity making statements about real world events triggers you, it says more about you than it does about them.

Of course you did not read my post as always...

I said the Oscars got more political in the 2000s and ever since have lost ratings and relevance.  The Oscars have always been political but it is now a greater part now and I think you can understand to a lot of people they don't have an interest in that regardless of their politics.

You just simply cant accept that the world cares about the Oscars less and less each year it seems

Edited by Lordmandeep