baumer

Searching (2018)

Grade it  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

While I quickly grew tired of the gimmick of viewing everything through a computer, this movie is entertaining and an engaging ride from start to finish thanks to a solid performance from John Cho as the father searching for his missing daughter. Yeah, there are some implausibilities and plot holes with the investigation. However, don't let those get in the way of enjoying a good film.

8/10

Hard to find anything wrong with this movie. Superb acting by John Cho, novel use of the single screen format (which I love), engaging story with a nice twist. I give it a B because none of these qualities really stood out.  We haven't seen that truly memorable single-format film but it's still early days yet.

Quite liked this. From the emotional Up-esque prologue to the twisty conclusion, this is gripping and clever, with the "entire story shown through modern day technology" angle never coming across as a gimmick. John Cho is excellent, while Debra Messing is also very good (I did not expect that twist about her character at all). It's a surprisingly touching and very promising debut for filmmaker Aneesh Chaganty that might mark the start of an impressive career. B+

John Cho was so good and believable in this. Give him more lead roles, Hollywood.

Seeing this with a packed audience is great though. My entire theater had an "oh shit" moment whenever it was shown that the model on the Memorial website was Fish & Chips. Also, as someone with Norton Antivirus, I had to chuckle whenever that pop up showed up saying that it hadn't been updated in so long. :lol:

Edited by filmlover