chasmmi

Top 100 Animated Countdown. Reveal begins in 10-12 hours. Just hanging on for that last minute rushed top 20 list that changes everything...

71st - Whisper of the Heart: 9 Votes, 3 top 5, 1 top 10  202 points

Previous List - 106th 

One of the biggest climbers in our list, we have our first Ghibli film in 13 entries and probably one of the ones that I know least about. 

From the trailer I can deduce that this is the classic love story between a young couple and the talking flying cat that helps them realise how they both really feel. So it is clearly one of Ghibli's more realistic based films. It also has Country Roads in Japanese for some reason.

Joking aside, there is a clear level of love for this film as 4 of its 9 votes were top 10's with 3 of those top 5 choices. Along with Millenium Actress this is the only film outside of the top 20 to have 33% of its votes or more be top 5 votes. 

This is also our first film to break 200 points and the final film on the list that received less than 10 votes. That is a lot of records for the one film to have.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I found Dory to be really annoying in the original, but at least her role was limited enough that the film overall was still fine. In the sequel though it was just horrible. 

Whispers Of The Heart is a indeed very realistic for Ghibli, but also very good.

7 hours ago, chasmmi said:

72nd - Finding Dory: 15 Votes,  198 points

Previous List - 58th 

I'm not sure if I am more happy about this dropping 20 places, or disappointed it is still in the top 100.

Dory is for me one of the most annoying characters created by animation, let alone by Pixar. I just find her so grating to listen to and this film has its fair share of annoying stupidity that was pretty hard to bare. The speaking whale stuff is nothing short of horrible in my opinion and it is the weakest Pixar sequel from the entire filmography in my opinion. (Although there are 2 Pixar originals/first films worse than it is, one of which is still to come)

This film does have some positive points, I kind of liked the octopus for example. But overall, I feel like this is one Pixar film too far on this list (something that others can fairly/unfairly say about Disney, Dreamworks, Ghibli and a couple of other houses tbh).

:gold:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

70th - The Wind Rises: 12 Votes, 1 top 5,   203 points

Previous List - 51st 

Pipping Whisper of the Heart is Miyazaki's final film and (whisper it quietly) I've never considered him the source of Ghibli's absolute best works.

Don't get me wrong, some of them are very very good indeed, but there are others I do not care for so much at all. And then there is this one, which is to me, a film that happened. It is well made, animation is fantastic as expected, but the story is just sort of... nice. It is a nice story of a man and his dream, but I never felt an emotional hook in the same way as things like Marnie and a few others. 

Don't begrudge its place on the list at all, but for me out of the 8 Ghibli films that I have seen, I rank this one in 6th.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

69th - Team America: World Police: 10 Votes, 1 First, 1 top 5,   207 points

Previous List - 111th 

Is this the funniest film on the list... it may be. It may be,

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are a gift to the cinematic world that we never deserved. Two filmmakers a lot brighter than some give them credit for, their blend of puerile stupidity and cutting satire creates a viewing experience that very few others can match. 

Team America is such a funny film and the songs are some of the best that any film or musical has produced. I expect that a couple of people here will hate the fact that this is here as humour is the most subjective topic among a sea of subjective topics that is cinema genres. 

However I am very happy that this film has now broken the top 100.  

• Like 7

68th - Sleeping Beauty: 14 Votes, 207 points

Previous List - 59th 

The first of Disney's original trilogy of princesses to appear on the list. 

A slight drop since the last time around, but another solid showing for one of Disney most popular villains to this day... wait did I say villain? I mean the relationship between Aurora and er... whatisname is just so dynamic and fresh the way they sing the song and then just...

ah screw it, Maleficent turns into a fecking dragon. That is all that matters with this film. This is the film that potential began audiences' love affair with the villain of the story over the hero or protagonist (well maybe Captain Hook was first).  

For me, I've only ever really watched this at an age where it was one of the 'cartoons for girls' and so it never really drew me in like it may have some other voters here. 

• Like 4

67th - Persepolis: 12 Votes, 208 points

Previous List - 74th 

oh, a non-Japanese foreign film...

Hands up, I know nothing about this film. I assumed it was Japanese when it started getting vote after vote and it surprises me that something I do not know beat out a decent number of more famous foreign offerings. 

It also lacks the other hallmark of most foreign animations that make these lists in that it made the list without the help of a couple of super high placements that help rocket it up the standings despite lacking voter numbers. 

This very much has the appearance of a film that carries a strong message and thus I am also prone to assume that the viewership and votes perhaps came from people who are fans of watching cinema for the stories and emotions delivered as opposed to being a darling among those that love animation (obviously those two groups can have a lot of crossover) but that is just the uninformed guess I am assuming until it is confirmed/rebuked.  

• Like 6

66th - Dumbo: 15 Votes, 1 top 5,  208 points

Previous List - 46th 

And back to golden age Disney we go

and another Disney film slipping a little in the rankings. Time will still tell if they are replaced by diferent studios or just different Disney, but there is definitely a slight shift occurring on this list so far. 

Dumbo is a film that has moments of absolute delight and greatness for an animation, yet the overall story in the end sort of just pans out into something that is good but not great. Maybe in the same way that an Up or Wall E is remembered mostly for the spurts of brilliance scattered in the film that perhaps overshadow the rest of the film (even if those overshadowed bits are also pretty darn good). 

Right now though I just need to know whether I am still allowed to like, "When I see an elephant fly"

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

65th - Rango: 15 Votes, 1 top 5,  209 points

Previous List - 45th 

And onto a film that just puzzles me.

Rango? Why Rango? I've never seen the hype. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching the film. It was a fun watch, but so was Rio, the first Madagascar and The Croods, and none of those are making the top 100, let alone threatening the top 60.

It just feels like a good solid outing of an animation, not a film that belongs in the company of the Dumbo, Team Americas and so on. So yeah, I am consistently intrigued by the love that this film receives. 

I reiterated, I think it is a good film, I really do. I just also think that over 100 animations in history have been better than good. 

• Like 4

64th - Robin Hood: 14 Votes, 1 top 5,  216 points

Previous List - 64th 

This film is rotten on Rotten Tomatoes and that just makes me sad... then furious, then mystified, and then back to sad.

Seriously, I mean it look:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/search/?search=robin hood

This may actually be the lowest rated film on the list RT wise (although I have no research to back that up with). I can't understand it at all, as for me this is so close to being top 10 Disney.

It has one of the most underrated soundtracks of any animated Musical (every song is great), it has Baloo the Bear as Little John and essentially the whole film is a miracle. It is a whole bunch of redrawn frames and shortcuts spliced together to make a film at a time when there was no budget to make a film and the result is possibly the 3rd most watched Disney film of my youth.  

• Like 6

63rd - A Bug's Life: 19 Votes,  223 points

Previous List - 54th 

The closest thing to a forgotten Pixar film.

Even though 19 votes means it is not forgotten at all. In fact 19 votes in the new record (nothing until this point had got more than 16 votes) and [spoiler alert], we won't break 20 votes until we hit the top 40. 

Bug's Life is mid tier Pixar and as such is on the cusp of being top tier animation (which means it is about placed where it should be). The film suffers from being forever tied to Antz and the Katzenberg nonsense (Antz finished in 130th). It's nice to see that it still finds some love. 

• Like 9
  • Astonished 1

4 of the next 5 films are ones I have never seen, so I will stop here for the moment just in case I decide to watch one tonight. (Happily after these 5 entries, there are only 3 other occasions maximum where I'll need the play the 'didn't see it' card.  

• Like 2

Sleeping Beauty- Haven't seen, but based on the kind of movie it is, I probably would not like it.

Persepolis- Really good, should be higher than this

Dumbo- Like most old Disney, Badly paced and boring and just isn't on the level of modern animations.

Rango- another really good one that's a little lower than it should be.

Robin Hood- Same as Sleeping Beauty, although I would probably like it more than that.

A Bug's Life- This one is fine, and I like it better than about half of the Pixar movies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

And onto a film that just puzzles me.

Rango? Why Rango? I've never seen the hype. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching the film. It was a fun watch, but so was Rio, the first Madagascar and The Croods, and none of those are making the top 100, let alone threatening the top 60.

It just feels like a good solid outing of an animation, not a film that belongs in the company of the Dumbo, Team Americas and so on. So yeah, I am consistently intrigued by the love that this film receives. 

I reiterated, I think it is a good film, I really do. I just also think that over 100 animations in history have been better than good. 

You have it the wrong way round, Rango is a great film that manages to draw inspiration from the Western genre while still keeping an identity of its own. It has really good characters and plot and still manages to be legitimately funny.

Dumbo has none of that, it's short and yet manages to feel really slow and has a bunch of pointless filler. I don't think it has a place on this list at all and certainly shouldn't be anywhere near Rango.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

62nd - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: 12 Votes, 2 top 5, 1 top 10  225 points

Previous List - 87th 

It is time to hit this block of personal ignorance head on then...

One of the older Japanese films on our list (maybe the oldest?), this is pre-Ghibli Miyazaki and the clip above shows that this has the hallmarks of a Miyazaki film, but possibly without some of the polish that the latter films were made with. 

With two top 5 votes and a further top 10 vote, this film has a lot of big fans and along with the film that is coming up next, is the last of the 12 vote films on our list.

Once I have breezed through this mini-block, I may conduct a straw poll as to which film is the most essential viewing. 

• Like 8

61st - Castle in the Sky: 12 Votes, 1 top 5, 2 top 10  227 points

Previous List - 103rd 

And from the final non-Ghibli Miyazaki film to the first official Miyazaki Ghibli film. 

So is this like a Japanese Iron Giant? This film has an almost identical voting pattern to Nausicaa. I think the difference in top 5s and top 10's literally came down to one person placing Nausicaa 5th and this film 6th. 

What I will say is that, if I do watch this, it will certainly only be if I find a subtitled version as the dubbing above was pretty hard to listen to (but so was 99% of dubbing of Japanese media in the 80's, 90's and beyond. 

This is obviously the 2nd film on my upcoming list of 4 films I possibly need to see...

• Like 8