chasmmi

Top 100 Animated Countdown. Reveal begins in 10-12 hours. Just hanging on for that last minute rushed top 20 list that changes everything...

88th - Batman: Mask of the Phantasm: 8 Votes, 1 top 5  152 points

Previous List - 135th

3 films in 4 that I haven't seen. This is a rough little section.

I've only seen one Animated DC film and it was The Killing Joke. I was not inspired to watch any more. This I know is the go to 'greatest' animated Comic book film, and deserves credit for I believe making a new foe and not picking whichever famous villain felt cool at the time. However, for whatever reason, I was just never drawn into the idea of watching animated Batman.

This is the only time Bats appears on this list, the next highest was (ignoring Lego Batman at 117th) Under the Red Hood in 147th and then Return of the Joker in 154th. 

• Like 7

87th - Treasure Planet: 12 Votes, 1 top 10  152 points

Previous List - Outside the top 150 (I think actually this time)

I am so happy this film made it. It is one of the more criminally overlooked Disney Animations. 

And I am one of the people to blame for it failing. I teenage me thought this sounded shit and didn't watch it (in fact I never watched another new Disney animation until seeing Tangled on DVD - actually that's a slight disservice as I never saw Dinosaur because I just sort of missed it [still have], trailers for New Groove looked rubbish and Atlantis just never got noticed, but it was the 2002 WDAS offerings that just made me give up on even looking out for animation for about 10 years).

I have since rectified that stance with everything but Dinosaur and pretty much on every occasion I was wrong. Take this film, the animation is really damn good, the story is more engaging than I thought and well it's just a really nice way to retell treasure Island in a cool space setting. I really felt bad for dismissing it so out of hand when I bothered to watch it 10 years too late and ya know, if Disney are going to throw money shamelessly turning everything into live action... I'd watch a $200M dollar film about Space Pirates even if it is a money grab. 

• Like 9

86th - Brave: 12 Votes, 0 top 10  153 points

Previous List - 60th

Continuing a theme of films that deserve better...

Yeah 60th last time around was maybe a touch high, but I actually rate this film. In some ways I think of it as Pixar's attempt at making a Ghibli film with the themes and visual style, and I think they are somewhat successful. Yes I wish there was less farting kings and triplet shenanigans, but the main mother-daughter angle is really strong and I can think off of the top of my head right now about 9 Pixar films not as good as this one.

I think the film was just a bit unlucky in that

A) it was the first original Pixar film in 3 years and so had a built up expectation that it was going to carry on Wall E and Up had left off. 

B) It was Pixar's Disney Princess film and that moniker carried a burden for it to be judged on an extra level, on top of merely just having to be better than Up and Toy Story 3

C) It had the misfortune that for the first time since 1998, WDAS produced a film in the same year that was worthy of challenging the Pixar brand for quality and so it wasn't automatically the best major Western Studio animated film by default like a lot of Pixar films got to be. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

You know what? Brave is a lot better than I remember. I remember being somewhat disappointed that the film won animated feature over Wreck-it Ralph, Frankenweenie, and ParaNorman back in 2012, but I think Brave, a film with a fleshed out world and intriguing characters, certainly has a lot of merit. It definitely deserves a place on the list, and I'm glad, in retrospect, that it placed higher than Cars.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chasmmi said:

88th - Batman: Mask of the Phantasm: 8 Votes, 1 top 5  152 points

Previous List - 135th

Shirley Walker is a goddess we lost too soon. The animation is great but that score MAKES the scene where Alfred sees Bruce batted up for the first time. How do you make the Elfman theme more epic? Walker did it with ease.

85th - Tale of Princess Kaguya: 7 Votes, 1 top 5, 3 top 10  163 points

Previous List - Outside the top 75 

Ghibli's other final film...

THis is one of the Ghibli films I haven't seen and it's kind of a shame as I decry people that haven't seen Marnie whilst continuously ignoring its sister release myself.

I will say that rather unfairly, I kind of judged this film on the visuals. I do not doubt that the choice of visual style is deliberate and more than likely works with the film, but you know... in my heart I always expect that immaculately done frame of colour and energy that comes out of screen with most Ghibli films. This dialed back style, just felt odd. Kind of like if Pixar produced a hand drawn animation, it could turn out to be their best story yet, but there would be something off about it. 

It is a completely stupid and probably wrong reason to not watch a film, but it is just what kind of happened. I will have to make myself watch it soon. 

oh and speaking of films I need to make myself watch... 

• Like 7

84th - Paprika: 9 Votes, 1 top 10  163 points

Previous List - Outside the top 105 

And it's that guy again.

Three films from eight entries all by the same guy is probably not going to be replicated too often on this list (especially if we are not including sequels). This is probably a strong sign that those of us that haven't seen these films should probably give them a go. 

I said earlier that at least 1 film both made and missed the list, so it is only fair I reveal a film that missed the list also. Memories finished in 124th place with 95 points thanks to a 2nd and a 5th placed ranking as its only two votes. It is obviously the highest rated film to only receive 2 votes (Ghost in the Shell 2 being the second highest in 132nd place followed by The Garden of Words down in 155th).

With Paprika's 9 votes, we now only have two films left on the list with sub 10 votes to reveal. When and what will they be...

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

84th - Paprika: 9 Votes, 1 top 10  163 points

Previous List - Outside the top 105 

And it's that guy again.

Three films from eight entries all by the same guy is probably not going to be replicated too often on this list (especially if we are not including sequels). This is probably a strong sign that those of us that haven't seen these films should probably give them a go. 

I said earlier that at least 1 film both made and missed the list, so it is only fair I reveal a film that missed the list also. Memories finished in 124th place with 95 points thanks to a 2nd and a 5th placed ranking as its only two votes. It is obviously the highest rated film to only receive 2 votes (Ghost in the Shell 2 being the second highest in 132nd place followed by The Garden of Words down in 155th).

With Paprika's 9 votes, we now only have two films left on the list with sub 10 votes to reveal. When and what will they be...

Memories is an anthology movie and only 1/3 Satoshi Kon though.   Alas, he only directed 4 feature films before his early death.

His films are all unique - wildly inventive and incredibly dense and rich.  Here's a great piece on his editing from Every Frame a Painting

• Like 1

83rd - Alice in Wonderland: 11 Votes, 1 top 5  164 points

Previous List - Outside the top 85 

Surprisingly this is only the 5th Disney animation on the list so far. 

And it's another classic (ish) era Disney film at that. The film adaptation of when Wendy from Peter Pan went on an acid trip and pisses off the Fairy Godmother. This is still for me the best job anyone has done of adapting the nonsense of Wonderland into anything approaching a film and thus it is a lot of fun both for child who can watch the pretty colours and adult who can enjoy the anarchy. 

This is one of my personal most middling Disney animations. It's not in the higher pantheon of the top 20-25 that I love, but it's not in that bottom group of about 10-12 that I either hate or just don't care for. It's good, it made the lower reaches of my personal list, but would also potentially be one of the more likely casualties if more of us watched foreign animation.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

82nd - The Simpsons Movie: 13 Votes, 0 top 10  164 points

Previous List - Outside the top 65 

The sequel is only 49 years away now guys. 

This film not only made Simpson's funny again, it kick-started a mini-resurgence in the quality of the TV show too.  This film showed that the creative minds behind Springfield still had what it takes to make a great piece of entertainment and what we got was one of the funniest films on this list. 

It would have been easy for many voters to forget this film was eligible, but that was not the case as we have our first 13 vote film. A record it's going to hold for about 7 places. It has one of the lower point per vote averages on our list though that suggests that this is a film that is liked by many but adored by few. 

I still love it though.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

83rd - Alice in Wonderland: 11 Votes, 1 top 5  164 points

We have finally reached the first film that I saw and left off the list because it's bad. A shame that this annoying mess beat such a fantastic film like Kaguya, but there are going to be even worse films coming later anyway.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tower said:

We have finally reached the first film that I saw and left off the list because it's bad. A shame that this annoying mess beat such a fantastic film like Kaguya, but there are going to be even worse films coming later anyway.

I don't think it's a bad film, I quite like it but it's not in the same stratosphere as Princess Kaguya.  It simply comes down to fewer people watching non US mainstream animation and when there are 40+ lists it's going to skew more populist.  There will of course be worse coming.  I expect an Ice Age or Madagascar or two to show up.

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

Kaguya is the only Ghibli film I own and it's not even my favorite. I love it (Especially the music);

But it's not my favorite. 

Now I don't think I remember if I put my favorite on my list 😧

Gorgeous score.  I think I nominated it in The Boffys. 

It was right out of my top 10. I have 2 Ghibli above it but the top of my list was splitting hairs and mood and day dependent.

81st - Wolf Children: Yuke and Ame: 6 Votes, 1 First, 1 top 5  165 points

Previous List - 125 

The last time in about 10 entries I have to find a way of explaining why or how I never watched a film. 

This is probably in the top 5 in the whole list on the points per vote scale. Scoring more points with 6 votes than all but two films have required at least 12 votes to reach. It is testament that this sits highest among the high in that pantheon of unwatched Japanese fare. 

Looking at the directors filmography and cross referencing it with my master list, I wonder if it is at all either fair or accurate to suggest that Mamoru Hosoda may be the heir to the non-Ghibli throne of Japanese animation once the property of Satoshi? 

Boy and the Beast, Summer Wars, and Girl who leapt through time all received 5-7 votes each and each placed in the 106th-159th are of the list. They seem to be building up a fan base that may one day rival the earlier greats (hell, somebody still needs to replace Ghibli as the go to gateway studio for those of us not versed in the deeper anime scene).

Maybe Mirai of the Future will be that film in a future list...  

• Like 4