chasmmi

Top 100 Animated Countdown. Reveal begins in 10-12 hours. Just hanging on for that last minute rushed top 20 list that changes everything...

80th - Basil, The Great Mouse Detective: 12 Votes, 1 top 5  165 points

Previous List - 68th 

Of all the Disney animated films that I have seen, this is the one that has stuck in the memory the least for whatever reason.

So forgotten in fact that I personally couldn't justify even giving it a nostalgia vote in  my personal list. I should really rewatch it to be honest as it is a film that seems to have built a fanbase over time and some even credit it as the film that created enough of an uptick in Disney quality and fortunes to enable The Little Mermaid and thus subsequently the renaissance to happen. 

I don't have a lot to say here sadly, so I am going to move on as we are about to hit the first in the top 100 that I personally pretty much hate...

• Like 3

79th - The Princess and the Frog: 12 Votes, 170 points

Previous List - 50th 

I spent most of my time watching this film not knowing enough about New Orleans or Cajun culture to know if I thought some of the voicework in this was borderline racist, or just innocently terrible.

Okay let's get the positive part out of the way, the songs in this are really good. I will give it that credit and I wonder if a couple of the votes here are because it has a good soundtrack. Or maybe it's because some people miss the hand-drawn style, or maybe somehow, someway, some people actually like this. 

Of all the films I watched in my binge of catching up on Disney Post Lion King to Tangled, this was the only one that I thought was bad. I thought the story was empty the vocals grating, and only the songs gave me any respite. 

Feel free to tell me what I missed :)

• Like 3

78th - Lady and the Tramp: 12 Votes, 1 Top 10,  172 points

Previous List - 36th 

And with double standards of a champion, I am not going to dwell on the Siamese song here at all. 

Instead, let's just enjoy a song by the horniest character in Disney. Lady and The Tramp is a tale from the grand old times of yore and I will say that it still has a fond place in my heart. Yes it is true that by now I remember scenes and characters more than the overriding plot. But what scenes they are: The spaghetti scene especially is all time classic Disney. 

It is notable that this is the 2nd straight Disney offering to plummet well over 20 places since the previous list. Maybe this suggests a change in the animated landscape is brewing...

• Like 4

77th - Despicable Me: 12 Votes,   175 points

Previous List - 47th 

Okay not Disney, but a third straight film to fall steeply from the previous list.

It is possible that the more negative reception of the sequels and spin offs have hurt the reputation of the original film a little. We are no longer smiling in memory of a time when minions were quirky side character distractions and the dynamic between Gru and the girls was what drove the story. 

The other two Despicable films ended the vote in 157th and 282nd respectively, with the Minions film creeping in at 276th, showing that the more recent films are not charming people even to the extent of Madagascar sequels (each madagascar film outperformed its Despicable Me film of the same nuber [oh and Penguins beat Minions in the spinoff showdown too]). 

Will we ever love this series again, or is it destined to be fine-meh from here on out.

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I think Princess and the Frog had a strong start and a strong ending, but the middle of the film drags on and on, ultimately holding the film back substantially. But the film is an anomaly for sure as a hand-drawn film in a largely 3D landscape. That alone is a triumph. And I do agree, the songs are very good, especially "Almost There".

• Like 1

76th - Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Wererabbit: 15 Votes,   183 points

Previous List - 79th 

Finally something that hasn't collapsed...

Wallace and Gromit was the first introduction to the world of Stop Motion for a lot of Brits (and maybe Americans) in their 20s and 30s. The Wrong Trousers and A Grand Day Out were winning Oscars (I think) for a good reason and so it was an exciting day when this film was announced. 

I will say that for me, a little of the series' charm did not transfer so well to feature length, but we were still given a really solid, funny, stop motion film that deserves its place on this list and will likely.

It also takes over the record with most votes on the list, which also by extrapolation makes it one of the lowest points per vote entries we will see in this rundown with an average placement of about 47th place from those that picked it.  

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

I really like Princess & The Frog.  Tiana is probably the most admirable Disney "Princess" with her strong work ethic, dreams and ambition not centered on a man.  The Prince is feckless but charming and he grows up - also gorgeous doesn't hurt.  The villain is scary and effective with an all time great villain song that's only one of several wonderful songs and the animation is beautiful.

• Like 3

Princess and the Frog is amazing, you guys! It's got gorgeous 2D animation (really, some of Disney's best), great songs, an iconic villain, a wonderful role model of a lead character, and very fun side characters! I personally consider it the start of the modern Disney revival.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chasmmi said:

81st - Wolf Children: Yuke and Ame: 6 Votes, 1 First, 1 top 5  165 points

Previous List - 125 

Nice to see it increase as much as it did, hopefully it continues to improve with each list until it takes its rightful spot in the top 5.

• Like 1

75th - Peter Pan: 13 Votes, 1 First   188 points

Previous List - 77th 

The second film in a row to pretty much not move at all. 

We're back in the realm of classic Disney now. We also have our second film on the list to have received a 1st place vote. I will admit that I do not see this film in enough regard to understand placing it that high, but I can see why some would hold this very high stead. 

Peter Pan is a great story. It has some really strong musical numbers (even if one of them has aged very very badly to put things at its mildest). And as with a lot of Disney adaptations, it's been 65 years and we are still waiting for a live action version that can do the story better.  

• Like 6

74th - Ice Age: 15 Votes,  196 points

Previous List - 108th 

We knew that one of these films was coming.

I will say that the first Ice Age was pretty decent though, and its position on this list is pretty much down to a large chunk of voters agreeing that it was indeed pretty decent, but nothing to create a shrine for. 

It is easy to hate on a series like this or a Madagascar or a Despicable Me etc. for being shallow and not in the same league as the best of Disney, Pixar, Japan and so on. But this opening film of a lot of these series are actually strong films with good messages and stories. They suffer a lot from the serious diminishing returns in quality that a lot of these films create. Ice Age is a prime perpetrator in this regard as the films devolve from a pretty sweet story about a baby and creating family and so one, through a couple of serviceable sequels in 2 and 3, down to a fine but uninspired 4th, before rounding things off with an unwatchable 5th installment. 

Ice Age 2 came 181st, Ice age 3 was 196th, Ice Age 4 was 295th, Ice Age 5 received zero votes of any kind.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

73rd - The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: 12 Votes, 1 top 10  197 points

Previous List - 91st 

It was confusing at times trying to differentiate which Winnie the Pooh film was being voted for by whom at times. All the titles seemed to revolved around Pooh and some form of adventure. 

However, it was always going to be Kaa the Snake Pooh that topped that mini-battle. Pooh is an ageless character that is going to charm children centuries after we are all dead. And even then when great-grandson of chasmmi is doing the 75th incarnation of this list, I think this will still be on the list and still be the top Winnie the Pooh offering.

You can't hate this character and these stories. THey are just animated innocence and it is lovely to watch whether you are 4 or 74 years old. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

However, it was always going to be Kaa the Snake Pooh

Damn, these entries just make me realize that I need to make a better effort to get lists in early because I think I forgot a LOT of movies I like 

• Like 1

72nd - Finding Dory: 15 Votes,  198 points

Previous List - 58th 

I'm not sure if I am more happy about this dropping 20 places, or disappointed it is still in the top 100.

Dory is for me one of the most annoying characters created by animation, let alone by Pixar. I just find her so grating to listen to and this film has its fair share of annoying stupidity that was pretty hard to bare. The speaking whale stuff is nothing short of horrible in my opinion and it is the weakest Pixar sequel from the entire filmography in my opinion. (Although there are 2 Pixar originals/first films worse than it is, one of which is still to come)

This film does have some positive points, I kind of liked the octopus for example. But overall, I feel like this is one Pixar film too far on this list (something that others can fairly/unfairly say about Disney, Dreamworks, Ghibli and a couple of other houses tbh).

• Like 5
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1