Seto Kaiba

Lilo & Stitch | Live-action | Dean Fleischer-Camp (Marcel the Shell) directs

1 hour ago, Eric is Trapped said:

I would think this is going to be their big Memorial Day release. Stitch is both a huge brand and can probably play well all throughout the summer.

In fact, next year will be a big summer for Chris Sanders productions. Hoping he's getting good royalties from these remakes.

Not sure they'd risk Memorial Day against MI8. I think if they release it in August, they get basically get no competition for ages. May 30th could work though.

HTTYD I think will end up moving from June, I think May could work for that as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Not sure they'd risk Memorial Day against MI8. I think if they release it in August, they get basically get no competition for ages. May 30th could work though.

HTTYD I think will end up moving from June, I think May could work for that as well. 

I think Stitch easily beats MI8. In fact, think domestics Stitch could be the biggest remake since TLK2019. It’s like Disney’s most beloved 2000s thing they made by themselves (excluding the Pirates). Guessing Dragon moves to July 2nd with Jurassic being a holiday slot.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, YM! said:

I think Stitch easily beats MI8. In fact, think domestics Stitch could be the biggest remake since TLK2019. It’s like Disney’s most beloved 2000s thing they made by themselves (excluding the Pirates). Guessing Dragon moves to July 2nd with Jurassic being a holiday slot.

Still think 30th May would work for Stitch although a bit close to Elio.

Jurassic World I think might try and move a bit earlier, June 20th would be good or even June 27th. HTTYD in early July would be an option or even November could work.

Edited by Jonwo

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Still think 30th May would work for Stitch although a bit close to Elio.

Jurassic World I think might try and move a bit earlier, June 20th would be good or even June 27th. HTTYD in early July would be an option or even November could work.

Tbh Mission and Stitch could be a Barbieheimer of sorts. Don't think either has to move Mission gets IMAX and Stitch does Dolby.

It’s not entirely unprecedented for a live action remake and an animated film releasing weeks apart for Disney. 

2019 had Aladdin in May and Toy Story 4 in June

2023 had The Little Mermaid in May and Elemental in June. 

2025 can have Lilo and Stitch in May and Elio in June. I’m more worried about Elio though. How To Train Your Dragon is seriously going to eat into its audience. It’s way too close. 

On the topic of predictions for the movie, the original made 270m DOM (145m in 2002) adjusted for inflation. I think 300m domestic is very possible. 35m opening weekend for the original adjusts to about 61m today. It had 4x legs. I think 75m opening weekend (And 90m+ Memorial Day 4 day weekend) would translate to 300m. 500-550m WW

The reception of the puppet was absolutely great indeed

Now it just need to work in a realistic environment ... i do think a more cartoonish aesthetic overall would suit it. Hawaii looking too realistic would probably made the CGI creature look weirdly integrated. 

If it looks good, i also think 300M DOM is happening

I'm gonna be bullish on this and think it'll be the highest grossing film of the 2025 Summer DOM. While the original Lilo & Stitch didn't make huge amounts of money compared to the Disney Renaissance 2000s nostalgia is at its peak + they nailed Stitch's design for live action which will be enough to overcome any remake fatigue. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I'm gonna be bullish on this and think it'll be the highest grossing film of the 2025 Summer DOM. While the original Lilo & Stitch didn't make huge amounts of money compared to the Disney Renaissance 2000s nostalgia is at its peak + they nailed Stitch's design for live action which will be enough to overcome any remake fatigue. 

Is there any other 2000s Disney animated movie that would even be worth doing a cynical nostalgic remake for? The only potential one I can think of is Princess and the Frog, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney steers clear of that out of fear of backlash. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Is there any other 2000s Disney animated movie that would even be worth doing a cynical nostalgic remake for? The only potential one I can think of is Princess and the Frog. 

The Emperor's New Groove is the only other one from that era that maintains a strong following, but given that its manic, joke-every-30-seconds energy is part of its appeal, it might be difficult to translate to live-action and also wasn't a massive hit at the box office in its day (it finished as the 26th biggest movie of 2000).

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Emperor's New Groove is the only other one from that era that maintains a strong following, but given that its manic, joke-every-30-seconds energy is part of its appeal, it might be difficult to translate to live-action and also wasn't a massive hit at the box office in its day (it finished as the 26th biggest movie of 2000).

Yeah, that definitely wouldn’t work in live action, especially without Patrick Warburton as Kronk. 

Said this in another thread, but I've had two separate people at work come up to me and mention how excited they were for this. If Snow White can get 120M trailer views, this is for sure going to reach some crazy high metrics.

19 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Emperor's New Groove is quite hard to cast as well in live action as well.

It's tricky because of the ERB estate but Tarzan would work brilliantly in live action and it's the most successful adaptation of the character financially.