WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

By the way I do not believe scoopers on the quality of films. I hate test screening reports as much as I hate budget scoops. Both of them only have the effect of inane pot stirring.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Most comments I am reading are other mocking the trailer song choice or saying “Gladiator doesn’t need a sequel!”. Not a good start.

Tons of hidden dislikes on the main channel as well.

20 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Ok, i just read some reactions on youtube and people are straight up hating on this trailer. I'm so shocked, i thought the trailer was not bad at all. I still think the curiosity will get people to theaters

Curiosity evaporated after this trailer it seems.

51 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Poorly edited trailer that makes what seems like a straightforward story look confusing. Bad visuals. No nostalgia hooks. Unknown lead.

30/95

it's not like russel crowe was tom cruise before gladiator 😅. I would say Mescal has already a bigger audience then Crowe at the time. It's already an oscar and emmy nominated actor. 

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

it's not like russel crowe was tom cruise before gladiator 😅. I would say Mescal has already a bigger audience then Crowe at the time. It's already an oscar and emmy nominated actor. 

Russel was already Oscar nominated before Gladiator, plus he was one of the leads in LA Confidential. They wouldn't have given him a lead role in Gladiator if he wasn't established enough.

6 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Russel was already Oscar nominated before Gladiator, plus he was one of the leads in LA Confidential. They wouldn't have given him a lead role in Gladiator if he wasn't established enough.

Mescal has been nominated too

The trailer looked good, but that shitty rap music took me out of it. What the hell kind of choice was that?

Also, this is a genuine question I'm asking from a historical perspective...were black people given the same rights in Ancient Rome? I assumed they were all slaves then. So much so that they could wield as much power as Denzel's character does?

I'm shocked that the song actually worked for me. Or at least it wasn't off-putting. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm usually nitpicky about.

Judging the trailer is difficult because I'm coming at it from two angles. On one hand it looks like an amazing spectacle, but on the other hand as a Gladiator sequel.... Well there's just a lot going on. Gladiator was big in scope but also small at the same time. At the end of the day Gladiator was a Roman epic about a general who is also just a farmer and family man who wants to go home and all of a sudden has his life destroyed and becomes a slave/gladiator. The sequel doesn't look like it'll have the heart of that movie.

But yeah as a spectacle, it got me hyped for sure. I really do believe it will deliver, at least if the trailer is anything to go by.

32 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Ok, i just read some reactions on youtube and people are straight up hating on this trailer. I'm so shocked, i thought the trailer was not bad at all. I still think the curiosity will get people to theaters

My feeling is that it is because while what is in the trailer looks great, the construction and tone of the trailer is off. I went back to watch the trailer for the original film, and the disjunction between that and this trailer is odd, at minimum, IMHO. We can also already see recent comments on the original trailer from folks saying "who's here after watching the terrible Gladiator 2 trailer?".

I'm certainly not trying to be hyperbolic. I'm optimistic about the film, and there's still plenty of opportunity between now and release to put out better trailers/clips/etc, but it really does feel like a missed opportunity in presenting this first look of the movie. All IMHO. :)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

People complaining about the rap song in the trailer....that's not gonna be in the movie, so calm down.  it was used to generate hype

But had the opposite effect.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Noctis said:

The trailer looked good, but that shitty rap music took me out of it. What the hell kind of choice was that?

Also, this is a genuine question I'm asking from a historical perspective...were black people given the same rights in Ancient Rome? I assumed they were all slaves then. So much so that they could wield as much power as Denzel's character does?

No I believe there were people in high places from all over the Empire, which was obviously vast. I believe one emperor was Libyan, but I could be very wrong about that.

Either way I do buy it in this context. As for slaves they came in all colours too. Ethnic Roman citizens of low stature were slaves.

Edited by Insomnia

Posted (edited)

Oh and also, I don't give a crap about comments on YouTube. Bots are all over social media. So much shit talking on all platforms is generated by people who aren't even real.

Not suggesting all the negative comments are bots. Just saying I don't care about YouTube comments. I showed this to my dad, who is the classic example of a boomer who doesn't care about movies anymore and adores the original, and he's plenty enthusiastic about it. He said he's going opening night and that will likely be his only trip to the theatre this year. To me, that says a lot.

Edited by Insomnia
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

I forget about denzel nomiantion.

Btw nothing of this made It a movie star at the time. Seems a very similar situation to Mascal. He has a very big young female fanbase (because of the very popular TV series Normal people, he won for the role a BAFTA award).

It also already won a Laurence Olivier awards as actor of the year...like the Tony awards of Britain. Plus oscar and Emmy nominated. 

He's not a movie star but a kinda of popular name.

He can actually help to sell tickets to a female audience wouldn't be so involved.

I think the casting is kinda smart like the dune one. Young actors are really popular on social Networks and can make the movie talked on Tik tok etc...and actors can sell tickets to traditional audiences like Denzel. 

Edited by vale9001

1 minute ago, Insomnia said:

I showed this to my dad, who is the classic example of a boomer who doesn't care about movies anymore and adores the original, and he's plenty enthusiastic about it. He said he's going opening night and that will likely be his only trip to the theatre this year. To me, that says a lot.

My 69 year old dad had a similar reaction. Denzel in a sequel to Gladiator, he’s there opening weekend. 

If the reviews are at least decent and there’s plenty of spectacle, it’ll do well, especially over Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

My feeling is that it is because while what is in the trailer looks great, the construction and tone of the trailer is off. I went back to watch the trailer for the original film, and the disjunction between that and this trailer is odd, at minimum, IMHO. We can also already see recent comments on the original trailer from folks saying "who's here after watching the terrible Gladiator 2 trailer?".

I'm certainly not trying to be hyperbolic. I'm optimistic about the film, and there's still plenty of opportunity between now and release to put out better trailers/clips/etc, but it really does feel like a missed opportunity in presenting this first look of the movie. All IMHO. :)

Peace,

Mike

I think the trailer would flow a lot better if they completely cut the gladiator 1 connections (save for pretending historically an emperor was killed by a gladiator). However, they need to stay in for IP reasons.

4 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Should've been more considering all the pre-release hype. And even those views are not because of rap song.

5M in 10 hours on YouTube is a good number for a film like this. It was never going to do Marvel trailer numbers…