aabattery

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018)

GRADE IT  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

For a movie about such a miserable and lonely person to be around, Can You Ever Forgive Me? is a drama that delights. It's an engaging experience even for those with little interest in the topics of authors and writing. It also allows for audiences to see another side of Melissa McCarthy that has been largely undiscovered: while this isn't her first dramatic performance, it's the first time anyone will really notice that she can truly act, as Lee Israel an individual for the audience to be highly sympathetic towards despite her off-putting nature. She is no less matched by the great character actor Richard E. Grant - I could've watched these two play off of each for hours more. Definitely recommended, and I hope McCarthy continues to pursue projects in this vein to balance out the broad comedy for which she's a box office draw for. B+

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Can You Ever Forgive Me? is more than the sum of its parts. For a decent chunk of the runtime, I found myself thinking that was a merely functional biopic that was elevated by two strong central performances. Only by the ending did I realize how marvelous the film truly is. Subtly tackling themes of the cycle of loneliness, expectations of women’s artists, and the artist’s inherent fear of critique, Heller’s film is easily one of the most quietly complicated of the year. Its main characters most definitely would not be considered good people, but they are sympathetic in the sense that life has failed them despite their best efforts otherwise. McCarthy and Grant both deliver remarkable performances, both which utilize their personas well despite clear inhabiting their characters. The script is a strongest point though, weaving a fascinatingly niche crime tale within its character study of an outcast and her only friend. Can You Ever Forgive Me? works as a biopic, but by its surprisingly emotional climax, it transcends the trappings of that designation to be an absolutely remarkable character study. Excellent. A-

• Like 1