Eric Prime

The Color Purple | December 25, 2023 | Warner Bros. | Based on the Broadway musical

2 hours ago, Becker said:

Has anybody here actually seen the movie? If so, Is it worth going to the theaters for it? 

it's a wholesome story, right? Haven't seen any trailers, so I plan to go in blind. 

I guess it has wholesome moments in there, but the story rather infamously covers some pretty difficult topics, albeit presented here in a PG-13 rather than R rated way.

Seeing this within weeks of American Fiction was a trip. By the end of the movie, I understood where the promo was coming from by talking about the joyfulness, but it doesn't really cut the brutality leading up to that. Strong cast and musical numbers, though at times it felt like the connective tissue of the story was missing.

I feel like Taraji is really letting loose now that she doesn't seem to be getting nominated anywhere and the movie is flopping.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Has anybody here actually seen the movie? If so, Is it worth going to the theaters for it? 

I really liked this, but this is not a wholesome story at all. Actually, I would urge you to read a brief summary somewhere. The singing and acting was great. Directing could have been better considering the various pacing issues. I still recommend it though (but I would not recommend going in blind).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I feel like Taraji is really letting loose now that she doesn't seem to be getting nominated anywhere and the movie is flopping.

I've caught up on her comments in recent weeks and can see where she's coming from but as someone who was into Empire until it became completely unwatchable, which didn't take very long (I gave up on it during season 3 when even her meltdowns and insults, which were always a highlight, became predictable and rote), she should probably be more angry that Hidden Figures within less than two years after that show's premiere clearly didn't result in an explosion of offers even though she still appeared in a number of high-profile film projects while the show was quickly falling out of the pop culture conversation. Think even she knew she was above the garbage that series had become (she is, quite frankly) but what she was getting outside of it presumably wasn't enough to force the producers to write her out of the series (especially if she was under contract). It really is too bad that Best Actress was so packed in 2016 because she would've made for a worthy nominee.

• Like 4

What was going on with this film’s production? First Henson said production had the actors drive themselves to set rental cars, and now Danielle Brooks said that they didn’t have dressing rooms (or even food) until Oprah stepped in. I hope the scorched earth route leads to actual change.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/taraji-p-henson-and-danielle-brooks-deride-the-color-purple-set-conditions

• Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

It doesn't sound like it was far from a great production, especially for a movie that cost so much, but I'm not sure this is actually going to change anything. The film is something of a flop and that will automatically lower the amount of people reading or caring about articles like this unfortunately, perhaps unless one of the ladies is nominated for an Oscar. 

Even people who like the film and like Taraji P Henson have been saying things like "well producers were right, it's performance doesn't justify a huge salary". Doesn't justify the budget either but that's a slightly different issue. 

The musical numbers and production value were top notch and best of the best. Certainly better than the likes of Wonka, but something about how the story progressed felt janky and rigid. There were also a lot of controversial elements in that film that I assume dissuaded audience members from making this a breakout hits. 

My Score: High Matinee

I finally caught this and I thought it was great.

If it did cost $100m, I actually think it is on screen. The cinematography and production design were two of the most impressive things about it. 

It’s too long and none of the songs are memorable, but the performances are stellar and the last 10 minutes or so are incredibly touching.