Rorschach

Y4 - The Academy Awards (Odyssey 3 takes gold with 9 awards including Best Picture, Fortnight in Silver with Ensemble and Actor, Spark 3 in Bronze with VFX and Cinematography nods)

Awards Predictions  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What film will win Best Picture?

• By The Balls
    • Can You Imagine?
    • Fortnight
    • The Odyssey: Homecoming
    • Spark: Beyond the Sky
  2. 2. What film will take home the most technical awards?

• Fortnight
    • Kingdom of the Sun
    • Mass Effect
    • The Odyssey: Homecoming
    • Pillars of Eternity: The Hollow Vale
    • Resonance
    • Spark: Beyond the Sky

"Please welcome to the stage, singers and actors Janelle Monae and Justin Timberlake!"

Monae: Songs, both in film and media, can bring out the same amount of emotion from someone as a two and a half hour film can.

Timberlake: Combining the two together can produce the twice the amount of feelings you would get from enjoying both separately.

Monae: Well the six nominees this year did just that!

Timberlake: True that! Here they are!

Spoiler

“Coda” from The Odyssey: Homecoming

Spoiler

“Grab Back” from By The Balls

Spoiler

“Let the Sunshine Rain” from Kingdom of the Sun

Spoiler

“Maybe You Never Left” from Starlit Highway

Spoiler

“Never Fade Away” from Spark: Beyond the Sky

Spoiler

“Sir Thymes Time” from Sir Thymes Time

Monae: And the Oscar goes to…

Spoiler

“Coda” from The Odyssey: Homecoming

Springsteen: Thank you Lager Pictures and Matt Reeves for allowing me the opportunity to be the ending voice for your trilogy. It really means a lot to me, thank you.

Spoiler

(44) “Coda” from The Odyssey: Homecoming 

(30) “Grab Back” from By The Balls 

(36) “Let the Sunshine Rain” from Kingdom of the Sun 

(33) “Maybe You Never Left” from Starlit Highway 

(39) “Never Fade Away” from Spark: Beyond the Sky 

(28) “Sir Thymes Time” from Sir Thymes Time 

Please welcome the presenters for Best Ensemble, Academy Award nominee Taissa Farmiga and Academy Award winner Sasha Lane!

Lane: You seem more jittery about this than I am.

Farmiga: I just wanna get to the preview, that’s all!

Lane: Well, patience is key isn’t it?

Farmiga: I suppose.

Lane: This award celebrates the large cast of actors and actresses who manage to create memorable characters and memorable moments too.

Farmiga: Will Aera be with you guys on stage if you guys win the award?

Lane: Um… best not to say...

Farmiga: Alrighty then. Here are the nominees for Best Ensemble:

Spoiler

Olivia Cooke, Jimmy Tatro, Awkwafina, Jacob Tremblay, Sam Neill , A'ja Wilson, Brigette Lundy-Paine, Kylie Bunbury, Peyton List, Eden Sher, Shannon Purser, Lana Condor, Laura Harrier, Seimone Augustus, Skylar Diggins-Smith, Brittney Griner, Mike Golic , Mike Greenberg, Ryan O'Flanagan, Lisa Kudrow, LeBron James, Bradley Cooper

By The Balls

Spoiler

Jason Clarke, Damian Lewis, Alden Ehrenreich, Domhnall Gleeson, Armie Hammer, James Marsden, Tom Holland, Ben Mendelsohn, Sean Harris, Sebastian Koch, Thomas Kretschmann, Andrew Lincoln, Kevin McKidd, Tobias Menzies, Jimmi Simpson, Shea Whigham

Fortnight

Spoiler

Algee Smith, Daisy Ridley, Bill Murray, Emma Thompson, Jack Whitehall, Jason Schwartzman, Henry Goulding, Eric Chase Anderson, Hugh Laurie, Joan Chen

A Month at Belmond Lane

Spoiler

Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet, Dacre Montgomery, Lena Headey, Ian McShane, Luke Evans, Henry Cavill, Charlie Hunnam, KJ Apa, Janelle Monae, Riley Keough, Sebastian Stan, Hugh Dancy, James Purefoy, Julie Andrews, Malcolm McDowell, Ian McDiarmid, Jason Isaacs, Marton Csokas, Timothy Spall, Sean Bean

The Odyssey: Homecoming

Spoiler

Sasha Lane, Charlie Heaton, Olivia Cooke, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Octavia Spencer, Aubrey Plaza, Matt Bomer, Rinko Kikuchi, Freida Pinto, Laura Dern, Justin Theroux, David Strathairn, Kyle Maclachlan, Anthony Gonzalez, Sarah Paulson, Michelle Pfeiffer

Spark: Beyond the Sky

Lane: And the Oscar goes to… huh. Another tie. Whattya know?

Farmiga: Damn Academy.

Spoiler

Fortnight/The Odyssey: Homecoming

Winners: Well this was unexpected.

Spoiler

(24) By The Balls 

(44) Fortnight 

(24) A Month at Belmond Lane

(44) The Odyssey: Homecoming 

(25) Spark: Beyond the Sky 

• Like 2

Jason Clarke, Damian Lewis, Alden Ehrenreich, Domhnall Gleeson, Armie Hammer, James Marsden, Tom Holland, Ben Mendelsohn, Sean Harris, Sebastian Koch, Thomas Kretschmann, Andrew Lincoln, Kevin McKidd, Tobias Menzies, Jimmi Simpson, Shea Whigham, Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet, Dacre Montgomery, Lena Headey, Ian McShane, Luke Evans, Henry Cavill, Charlie Hunnam, KJ Apa, Janelle Monae, Riley Keough, Sebastian Stan, Hugh Dancy, James Purefoy, Julie Andrews, Malcolm McDowell, Ian McDiarmid, Jason Isaacs, Marton Csokas, Timothy Spall, Sean Bean...

can the stage fit this many people

Commercial Break #9

900&key=72cf97fccf947a829ee87f68b29c44d3

Black screen.

LUCINA (MEW): I've failed him...

Open to an injured Lucina sitting in a cramped space pod talking to her superior, Admiral Helms (Laurence Fishburne), who's seen staring out a window into empty nothing, his arm resting against the glass.

LUCINA: I've failed them...

Lucina hangs her head in shame. 

LUCINA: ...I've failed everyone.

Helms turns to look at her.

HELMS: Nothing good lasts forever. I fear this has been a long time coming before our two worlds even met...

Cut back to black.

HELMS: We just didn’t see it before it was too late.

(0:00-0:10)

- COOKIE PICTURES -

We seem to flash back to a point earlier in time, where we see Tamara, Queen of Khouga (Letitia Wright mo-cap) gazing out a balcony at night, as a Scavenger elder named Torann (F. Murray Abraham mo-cap) walks up to her.

TORANN (V.O): It's been five years... Are you still waiting for him?

Tamara continues looking out, pondering.

TAMARA: No... and I haven't been for a long time.

(0:10-0:21)

We shift to see Lucina slumped against the side of a bed, looking weary, drunk and tired when she's found by Helms and two others: Captain Julia Hemphill (Holly Hunter) and her husband Arthur (Kenneth Branagh).

HELMS (V.O): You took upon a responsibility you shouldn't have...

The drowsy Lucina looks up at Helms, who stares at her back frustrated and concerned.

HELMS (V.O): What happened wasn't your fault.

LUCINA (V.O): I want to believe that...

We see a cracked picture frame of Commander Barks (Harry Lennix) and his two adaptive children Joel (Daniel Henney) and Kira (Naomi Scott) spread across the floor.

LUCINA (V.O): ...But I can't shake it.

(0:22-0:32)

We pan across the various H.F.F ships in quick flashes, each showing increased wear and tear from the last film.

HEMPHILL (V.O): I'm afraid this fleet can't hold us for much longer...

The same drowsy Lucina, followed by Helms and Hemphill, inspects cracks forming on parts of the H.F.F Milky Way.

HEMPHILL (V.O): We need a place we can call home.

Lucina is overlooking the Milky Way city with Hemphill standing next to her.

HEMPHILL: And I don't believe for even a second you can lead us there.

Lucina gives Hemphill a glare.

(0:33-0:43)

We transition to seeing Lucina in casual wear board a small spaceship that an overhead display says is heading for Khouga.

HELMS (V.O): Take some time and clear mind. See the universe.

She finds herself seated next to a Scavenger woman staring out the window. She turns to look at Lucina with suspicion and disgust.

LUCINA (V.O): What is there even to see? It's all the same.

Lucina tries to reach out for a handshake, mentioning her name in the process, but the Scavenger woman simply says her name is Sal (Sasha Lane mo-cap) without returning the handshake.

(0:44-0:52)

The two are distracted by shining light coming out of the window, and they both move over to see what it is.

HELMS (V.O): I think you'll find that time has changed all of us.

Both their eyes widen in amazement.

(0:54-1:04)

The spaceship descends from the clouds and reveals a new Khouga, one of grassy, flowery fields and valleys instead of rough deserts. With waterfalls running and life blossoming all over. We get a quick glimpse of a human/Scavenger settlement living in seeming harmony.

We cut to Lucina and Sal on the ground, Lucina standing barefoot in the grass lifting her left foot to stare at the mud and dirt stuck on it. Tamara arrives, smiling at the two.

TAMARA: How'd you like my home?

(stop)

LUCINA (stirred): There's...th-there's real grass beneath my feet... and... and there's lots of them... buh... buh...

While Lucina runs around dazzled and hollering like mad, Sal turns to Tamara annoyed.

SAL: Please tell me they're not all like this...

TAMARA: Mmm... Some get quicker used to it than others.

(1:04-1:15)

Lucina's introduced to Reese (Terry Notary mo-cap), remade to resemble a robot wolf instead of his humanoid form from the last movie. Lucina and Sal then look up to see running down a hill of flowers towards them is another Scavenger girl named Luna (Taissa Farmiga mo-cap). She stops a few feet short and gives them a wide, warm smile which Tamara returns.

(1:16-1:25)

LUCINA (V.O): It's like your world's born anew...

Overhead shot of Luna diving into a pool of crystal clear water in a spring somewhere and peeking her head out to look back at Tamara, Lucina and Sal.

LUCINA (V.O): A wasteland turned into a paradise...

Lucina meets Luna's sister, a similar-looking if a bit shorter Scavenger girl named Sunn (Bex Taylor-Klaus mo-cap) in the same location, and in a somewhat mocking fashion taps her nose going "boop" much to her annoyance.

We see Lucina and Tamara sitting together in a field outside. Tamara suddenly appears concerned.

TAMARA: I don't know if that's as true as it seems...

(1:26-1:35)

Montage of Tamara showing Lucina around her world, letting her see the sights and experience the culture and introducing us to more characters, many appearing hostile to Lucina and others like her.

TAMARA (V.O) Some wounds just refuse to heal...

We see a Scavenger named Jarek (Ben Foster mo-cap) holding a political rally, smirking as the crowd before him cheers him on.

TAMARA (V.O): And I fear it's all going to come crashing down...

We abruptly shift to Tamara and Lucina reacting in shock and distress to the settlement we saw earlier up in flames against a night sky.

(stop)

SAL: You may be right.

Tamara and Lucina turn to see Sal standing behind them.

LUCINA: ...About what?

SAL: That it’ll all come crashing down. And I don't think you'll be prepared for when it does.

Tamara looks away in concern.

(1:35-1:43)

We shift to seeing Ares (Andy Serkis mo-cap), a humanoid creature with stretched skin, a metal prosthetic leg dragging across the floor and body armor that seems to keep its torso together, standing before a massive window overlooking outer space.

ARES (V.O): We have stood idly by for far too long...

We move to see him from the front, snarling at something off-screen.

ARES (V.O): The course of history... is decided only by the victor.

Helms and Hemphill look out a window to see apparently the same thing.

HELMS: ...My god.

(stop)

In one long shot, an army of small spaceships descend on the H.F.F fleets, firing at them and causing damage before joining together like a swarm of bees and descending on one H.F.F ship in particular, BURSTING RIGHT THROUGH IT OBLITERATING IT IN AN INSTANT, before turning their attention back to the remaining fleet.

Cut to black.

JAREK (V.O): I won't deny times are changing...

We see Jarek putting a choke hold on Tamara as loyal Scavengers cause havoc around him.

JAREK: ...But maybe not in the way you wanted.

(1:44-2:15)

Tamara frees herself from Jarek's grip as Sal, brandishing a spear, comes in to help fight him off.

We get quick flashes of various action bits:

• Sal leading Tamara and a frightened Luna across a rioting city
  • Lucina being jumped on by a pack of Scavengers in a long hallway
  • Tamara trying to save civilians in the burning settlement
  • Reese being chased across the landscape by Scavenger pursuers
  • Human ships engaging in combat with Ares' warships... and losing badly

SAL (V.O): You've brought this on yourself!

Tamara attacks a Scavenger continually setting the settlement ablaze with a flamethrower.

SAL (V.O): And now everyone you've ever loved is going to pay for it!

Tamara and Sal are seen meeting up at a shooting range.

SAL (V.O): I only want to save what you have left!

An angered Sal fires a rifle at a target without even looking, hitting bullseye.

LUNA (V.O): I've seen things... terrible things...

Luna and Sunn press their foreheads together in sisterly solidarity, Luna seeming more distressed than Sunn.

LUNA (V.O): Tamara, I’m scared...

A crying Luna rushes to hug Tamara which startles her at first, but she returns it.

(2:16-2:23)

THIS DECEMBER

We see the main characters in a still arid part of Khouga, being chased by a massive sandworm.

THE SAGA ABOUT THE END

Sal readies a sniper rifle and aims it at something off-screen.

CONTINUES

Tamara finds herself in a duel with another Scavenger, sustaining injury but managing to hold her ground.

(2:24-2:32)

• Helms tries to navigate through a crowd of panicking humans as their vessel is being attacked by Ares' ships.
  • Sal fires her rifle at a target in the far distance.
  • Lucina, sporting an entirely metallic axe, swings it at her opponents. She attempts to hold them back as they drive her towards an edge.
  • Luna tries to comfort Tamara by placing her hand on Tamara's cheek, and the two meet in a loving gaze.
  • Lucina, seemingly trapped in a dark void, floats down towards something glowing in green beneath her.

(stop)

Seeing Tamara in danger, Reese lunges at the Scavenger attacking her, showing off his massive sharp metal teeth before striking him down.

Cut to black.

HELMS (V.O)If there's one thing I've learned is that peace is only ever temporary. We can try to prevent it all we want...

(2:36-end)

We're back in the same scene as the first part of the trailer. Helms crouches down and places his hand on Lucina's shoulder.

HELMS (V.O): ...But the storm always comes back around.

THE ETERNAL STORM

T H E  S C A V E N G E R  W A R S  P A R T  I I

???: How's the world up there?

Tamara, in the same black void as we saw Lucina in earlier and illuminated by a reddish glow, sees something off-screen. She attempts to stay calm as we hear heavy footsteps approaching.

???: Was it everything you hoped for?

Out of the void steps Packer (Jason Isaacs), looking exactly like he did at the moment of his death in the first film.

Packer: Or should you just burn it all down?

Tamara tries to look away as Packer closes in on her. His smirk turns into a devilish grin.

DECEMBER 17TH

In theaters, Cinerama and IMAX

• Astonished 1

Please welcome to the stage Academy Award winning actress Meryl Streep!

Streep: Having worked with many directors in my lifetime, I’ve come to know many different styles they have implemented to get the best performances out of their actors. The five nominees tonight each have their own signature styles that they used to bring out the best of their entire crew. Here are the nominees for Best Director:

Spoiler

Martin McDonagh, The Square Mile

Spoiler

Matt Reeves, The Odyssey: Homecoming

Spoiler

Steven Spielberg, Fortnight

Spoiler

Tony Yacenda, By The Balls

Spoiler

Jennifer Yuh, Spark: Beyond the Sky

Streep: And the Oscar goes to…

Spoiler

Matt Reeves, The Odyssey: Homecoming

Reeves: I didn’t expect to be up here two years in a row but here we are! Thank you to the whole wonderful cast and crew for their tremendous efforts since day one of filming. Thank you Lager Pictures for helping me to bring this film to the masses. This is such a tremendous moment for me. Words cannot express how I’m feeling right now. Thank you, thank you oh so much!

Spoiler

(24) Martin McDonagh, The Square Mile

(42) Matt Reeves, The Odyssey: Homecoming

(39) Steven Spielberg, Fortnight

(29) Tony Yacenda, By The Balls 

(31) Jennifer Yuh, Spark: Beyond the Sky

• Like 1

I'm honestly dreading TSWII because I will 100% need to re-read the first one to have any idea what's happening or who these people are, and that means I'll pretty much be dedicating a whole weekend to this double feature doorstop :P

1 minute ago, Xillix said:

I'm honestly dreading TSWII because I will 100% need to re-read the first one to have any idea what's happening or who these people are, and that means I'll pretty much be dedicating a whole weekend to this double feature doorstop :P

at least you've read the first one once... i'm gonna be totally lost in every sense in both lmao

1 minute ago, Xillix said:

As a new player, I have to read it. I'm sure it's great... but if others' comments are anything to by, I'm sure it's really long.

"Please welcome last year’s winner for Best Actress, Anna Kendrick!"

Kendrick: The five nominees in Best Actor brought their main characters to life in extraordinary ways that no one else could. Their performances are the best of the best, bar none. With that said, here are the nominees for Best Actor:

Spoiler

Jason Clarke as George Washington in Fortnight

Spoiler

Chiwetel Ejiofor as Inspector Chester Lawrence in The Square Mile

Spoiler

Paul Giamatti as Wallace in Resonance

Spoiler

Charlie Heaton as David in Tulpa

Spoiler

Hugh Jackman as Odysseus in The Odyssey: Homecoming

Kendrick: And the Oscar goes to…

Spoiler

Jason Clarke in Fortnight

Clarke: Oh wow, I didn’t expect this! Well, anyways, it was a great privilege to portray America’s first president in a film. That was a very surreal experience for me but so overjoyed that it payed off in the long run! Thank you to Steven, the rest of the cast and crew, and everyone at Numerator Pictures for your support!

Spoiler

(42) Jason Clarke, Fortnight as George Washington

(35) Chiwetel Ejiofor, The Square Mile as Inspector Chester Lawrence 

(30) Paul Giamatti, Resonance as Wallace 

(18) Charlie Heaton, Tulpa as David 

(40) Hugh Jackman, The Odyssey: Homecoming as Odysseus

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slambros said:

As a new player, I have to read it. I'm sure it's great... but if others' comments are anything to by, I'm sure it's really long.

It isn't that bad really. The paragraph breaks help a lot. But yeah, definitely slot some time out to read it because it is fairly long.

3 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Yes sir yes sir, over 30K words.

"Please welcome to the stage last year’s winner of Best Actor, Hugh Jackman!"

Jackman: Very well deserved win for Mr. Clarke. One Oscar is enough for me… for now anyways. *shifts eyes back and forth*

Jackman (cont.): I kid, I kid. In my humble opinion, Best Actress is even better than Best Actor. All five of the nominees in this category could probably act circles around me if they so choose to do so and I would be okay with it. Why? Because they’re that awesome: that’s why.

*huge applause from the audience

Jackman: Here are the nominees for Best Actress:

Spoiler

Olivia Cooke as Jordan Richards in By The Balls

Spoiler

Jane Fonda as Lisa Henck in Starlit Highway

Spoiler

Sasha Lane as Alex Spark in Spark: Beyond the Sky

Spoiler

Daisy Ridley as Elizabeth Silvette in A Month at Belmond Lane

Spoiler

Naomi Watts as Inspector Elizabeth Montgomery in The Square Mile

Jackman: And the Oscar goes to…

Spoiler

Olivia Cooke for By The Balls

Cooke: I didn’t expect to win for Jordan. Girls like Jordan rarely win at anything. But this is for her, this amazing character that Tony and Dan and Jess created and allowed me to help shape with my own experiences. You’ll never know how much it’s meant to me for you all, especially Tony, to hear me and let me be myself on screen. Thank you Bradley for treating me like shit on set everyday we were rolling and then being the most caring, wonderful individual as soon as the cameras stopped. You are nothing like Thomas. Thank you Jimmy and Nora for making me laugh every day and putting up with me even after I ruined take after take watching you. Thank you A’ja for joining our set even though you’ve never done something like this before. You are the most genuine and talented woman I’ve ever met and I’m so happy to call you my friend. Oh, okay I’m running long. Okay. Thank you Adam, Jacob, Sam, Shannon, Lisa, Lebron, all of my teammates and friends. My family, my mum, my dad. And lastly my sister, Eleanor. I hope you follow your dreams in this crazy, unpredictable world and make it your own. I love you!

Spoiler

(46) Olivia Cooke, By The Balls as Jordan Richards

(24) Jane Fonda, Starlit Highway as Lisa Henck

(23) Sasha Lane, Spark: Beyond the Sky as Alex Spark

(33) Daisy Ridley, A Month at Belmond Lane as Elizabeth Silvette 

(39) Naomi Watts, The Square Mile as Inspector Elizabeth Montgomery 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

It isn't that bad really. The paragraph breaks help a lot. But yeah, definitely slot some time out to read it because it is fairly long.

I do almost all my post-write editing on tablet these days so expect paragraph breaks to be generous for all my films as I'm working on making them mobile-friendly.

Edited by cookie