AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

On 2015-11-08 20:23:01, Amadeus said:

I would not be surprised if the RT-score will be in line with Cars' score. I think critics will begin to get tired of the Pixar-formula with this one. Two friends get lost and need to find their way back home.... Stupid... But Inside Out did it really really well. 

I would like to quote myself now. I was right, stupid bis

That's really the most cursory sketch of the plot and doesn't do the movie much justice.

I know you had some of the same misgivings about IO that I did. Did you enjoy this better?

Yeah, I admit I'm only going to take "yes" for a real answer. I want at least one more Pixar movie to really transport me because I'm seriously doubting it'll happen again before I'm 30, tbh

I didn't really have many misgivings about IO... any concern was more a note of whether young kids could handle the more adult concepts. In large part, I realize some small part of my quibbles was due to dealing with a hyperactive 4-year-old while watching. :lol:

Now, of course, to be fair, the same might well be true with TGD. Even putting that aside, though, it didn't come close to IO (for me). Like I said, it felt more like A BUG'S LIFE (or maybe CARS). Or, going outside the Pixar pantheon to the larger Disney universe, this was more like a BOLT than a FROZEN.

• Like 2

I didn't really have many misgivings about IO... any concern was more a note of whether young kids could handle the more adult concepts. In large part, I realize some small part of my quibbles was due to dealing with a hyperactive 4-year-old while watching. [emoji38]

Now, of course, to be fair, the same might well be true with TGD. Even putting that aside, though, it didn't come close to IO (for me). Like I said, it felt more like A BUG'S LIFE (or maybe CARS). Or, going outside the Pixar pantheon to the larger Disney universe, this was more like a BOLT than a FROZEN.

At first I thought it was the same kind of thing with me regarding the themes, but after I saw it again alone I realized I really did have issues with the film. I don't want to turn this thread into a knock on it because there were a lot of things I really liked but almost immediately when the credits started to roll I started hoping I'd love this a lot more. I know I'm in a big minority, of course

• Like 1

I didn't really have many misgivings about IO... any concern was more a note of whether young kids could handle the more adult concepts. In large part, I realize some small part of my quibbles was due to dealing with a hyperactive 4-year-old while watching. [emoji38]

At first I thought it was the same kind of thing with me regarding the themes, but after I saw it again alone I realized I really did have issues with the film. I don't want to turn this thread into a knock on it because there were a lot of things I really liked but almost immediately when the credits started to roll I started hoping I'd love this a lot more. I know I'm in a big minority, of course

Nothing wrong with having an opinion different than the majority. :)

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I didn't really have many misgivings about IO... any concern was more a note of whether young kids could handle the more adult concepts. In large part, I realize some small part of my quibbles was due to dealing with a hyperactive 4-year-old while watching. :lol:

Interesting. Among recent WDAS films, I find Bolt to be severely underrated. I suppose it speaks to Pixar's track record that something like that would be merely "okay". But I suppose if it's not grasping at the depth that you'd see in IO or Up it might feel that way.

Still excited to see it.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Interesting. Among recent WDAS films, I find Bolt to be severely underrated. I suppose it speaks to Pixar's track record that something like that would be merely "okay". But I suppose if it's not grasping at the depth that you'd see in IO or Up it might feel that way.

Still excited to see it.

I liked BOLT, I just don't think it had much thematic depth.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

True, I just didn't think BOLT elevated itself in any way to be considered "great".

I agree, though I feel the same way about Frozen. 

I'm glad these reactions from everyone are happening so I get my expectations back in check. For the longest time I expected the worst from this, and then I went to expecting the greatest. So it sounds like it's probably somewhere in the middle. Just hoping to like it more than their bottom tier of Cars, Brave, and MU (not counting Cars 2 since it doesn't deserve to be counted). 

37 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I don't recall much of Bolt, though I resaw a couple of scenes not to long ago and it really fucking reminded of Deathly Hallows Part 1

I wasn't aware there was wizardry involved in Bolt? 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 2