Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

I caught this movie, while looking for Asteroid City Tickets. Pleasantly surprised that this "Walmart" viewing starting on time without any trailers. As for the movie itself, it would appear Maggie was right, unfortunately. 

It's extremely long, exposition heavy, and has a extra contrived & convoluted plot ( worse than previous installments ). This, in conjunction with the fact that there wasn't much action as I expected, leads me to believe the legs won't be long this time around. Everything had a better rhythm and flow in Fallout and even Rogue Nation. i definitely see what the script writers were going for, but it didn't work out for me. Despite my criticisms, It's overall actually a pretty action movie, but It didn't live up to the hype after Fallout. I do appreciate that it's a Part 1 Movie that it's ACTUALLY a complete movie, unlike some other summer installments.  

Side Note:

Spoiler

I found it weird for most of her screen time, Pom Klementieff literally had one line. A defacto Ruby Rose in John Wick character for her.  

• Disbelief 1

Just came back from the IMAX midnight screening that was 60% full. I don't get the issues regarding the plot, it is pretty straightforward and simple to follow. There are just more characters involved as usual. They all get their moment to shine hence the longer run time. The film flies by. The pace is relentless. There are plenty of action. It's just not as explosive, rather smartly choreographed, nail-biting stuff, paying homage to old school spy movies. Probably the most action-packed MI film actually. At first viewing it's the 2nd or 3rd best in the franchise. I do accept that WoM won't be as great as FALLOUT. Still going to top it at the box office and puts PART TWO in a sweet spot to increase.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The first film was about a street racing family and an undercover cop.

By the 7th film, cars were literally jumping from one skyscraper to another.

The 8th film featured a remote-controlled car army, and a car chase with  a nuclear submarine.

In the 9th film, they went to space.

But yeah, let’s draw the line of believability at Mia learning how to fight.

That's not even my point but I see this is going nowhere productive so whatever.

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Saw one of the Walmart early screenings today, it wasn't packed but decently full. Incredible action sequences and I really liked the Grace character with Ethan. My theater seemed really into it throughout.

Reveal hidden contents

Is Rebecca Ferguson good in the movie? It seems she doesn't have a lot of screentime from what I'm hearing.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GOGODanca said:

8.3 rating on IMDB with 4.5k ratings fwiw

IMDB isn't really good until after a film's run is over since it can get review bombed or whatver the opposite of review bombing is very easily

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Just came back from the IMAX midnight screening that was 60% full. I don't get the issues regarding the plot, it is pretty straightforward and simple to follow. There are just more characters involved as usual. They all get their moment to shine hence the longer run time. The film flies by. The pace is relentless. There are plenty of action. It's just not as explosive, rather smartly choreographed, nail-biting stuff, paying homage to old school spy movies. Probably the most action-packed MI film actually. At first viewing it's the 2nd or 3rd best in the franchise. I do accept that WoM won't be as great as FALLOUT. Still going to top it at the box office and puts PART TWO in a sweet spot to increase.

maybe people might be conflating the big set pieces the franchise is known for with just simple action, and getting disappointed when there's more of the latter

• Like 1

That is exactly right. WoM might slightly suffer because of that. To me action doesn't have to be mindless gigantic explosion that destroys half a city that happens in many SH films. DR is by far, I repeat by far the most action-packed MI film. Not spoiling anything as you can see it from the trailer, but we've got foot chase, desert shooting, car chase, bike chase, hand-to-hand combat, parachuting, speed-flying, train fighting and more.  It has a great humour. The chemistry between Hayley and Tom is outstanding. It feels organic and genuine, like they were having a blast shooting this film, which bodes well for Part Two,

1 hour ago, Flip said:

maybe people might be conflating the big set pieces the franchise is known for with just simple action, and getting disappointed when there's more of the latter

The Halo Jump Scene easily bests anything from the sequel imo.

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

That is exactly right. WoM might slightly suffer because of that. To me action doesn't have to be mindless gigantic explosion that destroys half a city that happens in many SH films. DR is by far, I repeat by far the most action-packed MI film. Not spoiling anything as you can see it from the trailer, but we've got foot chase, desert shooting, car chase, bike chase, hand-to-hand combat, parachuting, speed-flying, train fighting and more.  It has a great humour. The chemistry between Hayley and Tom is outstanding. It feels organic and genuine, like they were having a blast shooting this film, which bodes well for Part Two,

I give up if this gets mixed WOM because there is not enough action when it sounds like there is plenty but short attention spanned peabrains thinks it is slow because it is not the type of action that they think they want. 

I'm just outside Vancouver, and anecdotally I went to book tickets for and early showtime on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday and 70% of seats are gone. Doesn't usually happen in my area for something during the week.

Edited by HesAPooka

Spoiler

Didn’t like it tbh. Biggest problem is that the machinations of the plot force us to pay attention to the writing, and I think it’s very poorly written, forcing me to ask questions I didn’t want to ask, and the actual setpieces aren’t good enough for those questions to wash away

Hayley Atwell’s character feels poorly written on purpose so the plot could get to where it needs to get to for everything to play out as the movie needs it to, and she makes a really dumb decision that unravels the threads that hold the movie together imo

And to me it feels like the movie is running in place. The ending feels like it should be the cold open, and then we can pick up from there, but sitting through an entire movie to get to that cold open just to wait for another movie to get to the good stuff felt tedious

Also… the train setpiece is a masterpiece, but the rest of the action felt a tad underwhelming, and if that’s what the movie is trying to hang its hat on, then I couldn’t help but pay attention to the script because I wasn’t getting what I needed to from the action

(And from a plot perspective, making the villain an A.I algorithm is genius, but it feels like everybody is just running through the motions and I didn’t really care about most of it)

Just now, The GOAT said:
  Reveal hidden contents

who

• Like 2

Tom Cruise join with Anya (SPY X FAMILY) for Strongest SPY Collaboration!

F0q-Kw-Ioa-QAAXRfi.jpg

This collaboration is said to be the most powerful collaboration since 2019 "Avengers: Endgame" X "Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire

Spoiler

firefox-2019-04-09-16-32-15-1024x724.jpg

Spoiler

SPY X Family is next gen Demon Slayer whose popularity ranked higher than Jujutsu Kaisen! It's upcoming film "SPY X FAMILY: CODE: WHITE" is expected to be the next $200M in Japan!

• Like 2