Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

Paramount are a bunch of idiots. Yes, nobody saw this coming from BARBIE a year ago, but that film was never a problem, different demo. They underestimated Nolan, which is criminal. You market the film to be watched in PLF which gets 37% of the business and then you lose all of that a week after. Maybe they were gamling that Universal would move the film. Summer release is perfectly fine for MI, it just needed a different date. Then suggesting to move it to September when the SAG strike is happening is also criminal. 

6 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Paramount are a bunch of idiots. Yes, nobody saw this coming from BARBIE a year ago, but that film was never a problem, different demo. They underestimated Nolan, which is criminal. You market the film to be watched in PLF which gets 37% of the business and then you lose all of that a week after. Maybe they were gamling that Universal would move the film. Summer release is perfectly fine for MI, it just needed a different date. Then suggesting to move it to September when the SAG strike is happening is also criminal. 

Nolan's B.O has been steadily declining since Inception tbf. Nobody expected an R rated drama from him to reach these heights. Everybody underestimated Barbenheimer.

Paramount probably even thought The Flash and Indy would be huge.

But having said that, when it was clearly known that Nolan had IMAX locked for almost a month, Paramount should've moved specially considering that they started their marketing campaign pretty late 

Edited by Algebra

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Remember when Paramount had a Star Trek movie (Beyond) coming out during a Star Trek anniversary and like did nothing with that free marketing opportunity? 

I think this movie in June does SO much better. Even without the PLF lost, Barbieheimmer hype just meant people were going to pick one or both of those movies instead. June 20th though? You easily beat out No Hard Feelings and Indie wasn't a real threat. GIves the movie more time to have it's own hype.

• Like 2

All Nolan films were doing great in IMAX and PLF. Always. Also this is the first film ever to be filmed 100% IMAX. It was always going to have a good run in that format. So sticking your tentpole the week before is just daft. They should have switched dates with TRANSFORMERS.

19 minutes ago, Algebra said:

Mcquarrie is doing a Spoilers podcast with Empire on the 26th..looking to hear his thoughts if any on the release date fiasco

I expect him to be upbeat, because he believes DR2 will be even better, bringing out all the fireworks. He sleeps well with 96% RT and A cinema score. Wondering if Cruise and McQ being too good is actually what hurt the film. What I mean by that is that they delivered another amazing action flick and maybe after seeing it Paramount got a bit too cocky and thought that Universal and Nolan will move out of the way. Talking about not reading the room. They underestimated OP big time. Disney didn't have faith in THE MARVELS and moved it out of the way of Barbenheimer. Smart move. 

Edited by The Dark Alfred

7 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Wondering if Cruise and McQ being too good is actually what hurt the film.

No, it was absolutely the release date

8 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Disney didn't have faith in THE MARVELS and moved it out of the way of Barbenheimer. Smart move. 

Very unlikely since that wasn't nearly a thing at the time they moved it. It was coming off of Igers return and the VFX crunch stuff which almost certainly were much major factors. Getting out of the way of Barbenheimer was a lucky happenstance.

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I expect him to be upbeat, because he believes DR2 will be even better, bringing out all the fireworks. He sleeps well with 96% RT and A cinema score. Wondering if Cruise and McQ being too good is actually what hurt the film. What I mean by that is that they delivered another amazing action flick and maybe after seeing it Paramount got a bit too cocky and thought that Universal and Nolan will move out of the way. Talking about not reading the room. They underestimated OP big time. Disney didn't have faith in THE MARVELS and moved it out of the way of Barbenheimer. Smart move. 

Yeah…Cruise and McQ also love to show their movies on IMAX, so I can’t for the life of me imagine they were remotely okay with Paramount slotting the movie with just one week of IMAX play.

But DR2 should by all means be an explosive action movie like Fallout and have a sense of finality that DR with ‘Part 1’ in the title just didn’t have and as the 7th entry in the series, if you don’t have a finality element to it, it feels dreary and gives the impression  of the series being milked. Fallout had the finality gravitas in all its marketing.

And if somehow they pull off TGM level marketing, DR2 will reach a billion, I’m confident in it

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

No, it was absolutely the release date

Very unlikely since that wasn't nearly a thing at the time they moved it. It was coming off of Igers return and the VFX crunch stuff which almost certainly were much major factors. Getting out of the way of Barbenheimer was a lucky happenstance.

Maybe so. Surely more things factored into the decision. I might give them too much credit for it, but I think once the BARBIE trailer hit the reaction was evidently super positive and they realised that its targeting the same demo, so got out of the way. 

4 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Sound of Freedom is projected to earn more, in the domestic market, than this movie......

:apocalypse:

It’s fine. Domestic is not a strong play for these action movies. The last Bond, F&F and Wick movies have all stopped well under $200m. Top Gun 2 is an outlier

China is the biggest disappointment by far

Edited by Algebra

1 minute ago, Algebra said:

It’s fine. Domestic is not a strong play for these action movies. The last Bond, F&F and Wick movies have all stopped well under $200m. Top Gun 2 is an outlier

China is the biggest disappointment by far

It got smacked by the competition in both DOM and China. 

Just now, Algebra said:

China is bewildering. Opened alright, was holding decent over the weekdays, had god WOM and then boom! all screens gone

On it's OW, I don't think they even had another movie that premiered that weekend......