Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

6 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

If the new openers will combine to 240m again on the second weekend of DR2 then they are in trouble. Otherwise the franchise is in the right place. McQ said that they have no idea how they end the film. I always thought that it will be done like a finale. And it will be bigger and better than DR1, which was just a set-up for the fireworks that are coming in DR2. Air combats will be back. Cruise will probably do other stuff and maybe a few years down the road he'll do one last mission to show everyone that he can still do stuns at the age of 70.

DR Part 1 was setup. But it was damm good setup.

• Like 2

What they can do to improve the box office is to bring along a few younger faces. TGM was obviously out of this world good, but Miles Teller and the younger cast really helped for that film to unlock the younger audience. They usually don't turn up in huge numbers for a MI film. TikTok is king atm when it comes to marketing.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

49 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

What they can do to improve the box office is to bring along a few younger faces. TGM was obviously out of this world good, but Miles Teller and the younger cast really helped for that film to unlock the younger audience. They usually don't turn up in huge numbers for a MI film. TikTok is king atm when it comes to marketing.

I wonder if the reason they do not team him up with a younger hot up and comer is because the conversation becomes all about that person replacing him and they do not want that. Jeremy Renner was supposed to do that in GP and they changed that most likely when Mcquarrie came in and did the massive rewrites. And even Renner was 40 at that time. 

9 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

8 hours ago, emoviefan said:

I wonder if the reason they do not team him up with a younger hot up and comer is because the conversation becomes all about that person replacing him and they do not want that. Jeremy Renner was supposed to do that in GP and they changed that most likely when Mcquarrie came in and did the massive rewrites. And even Renner was 40 at that time. 

MI7 actually had 55% over 35 compared to 59% for Fallout.

The problem isn't about attracting a young audience. The problem is that unlike previous MI movies and TGM which had great holds, MI7 is just flattening out.

Take Korea and China for instance. TGM opened much lower in Korea but it had insane holds and went onto make $67m while MI7 will do $35m at best even though it had a much better start.

In China, MI7 was one of the best Hollywood openings of the year but it came crashing down from the weekdays.

Same with the US. I agree that last weekend was always gonna be rough but even the weekdays didn't show solid holds. 

So while I'm still optimistic about things turning around and legs showing up finally and Japan doing for MI7 what it did for TGM and the movie ending above $650m, we simply need to acknowledge that it didn't connect with everyone else.

Again I'm pretty sure it's the overlong exposition and action which didn't have any 'newness' in it outside of the bike jump which looked better in the BTS videos..with DR2 doing action scenes which have never been done before, I definitely see DR2 being massive and challenge Fallout's B.O

Edited by Algebra

3 hours ago, Algebra said:

MI7 actually had 55% over 35 compared to 59% for Fallout.

The problem isn't about attracting a young audience. The problem is that unlike previous MI movies and TGM which had great holds, MI7 is just flattening out.

Take Korea and China for instance. TGM opened much lower in Korea but it had insane holds and went onto make $67m while MI7 will do $35m at best even though it had a much better start.

In China, MI7 was one of the best Hollywood openings of the year but it came crashing down from the weekdays.

Same with the US. I agree that last weekend was always gonna be rough but even the weekdays didn't show solid holds. 

So while I'm still optimistic about things turning around and legs showing up finally and Japan doing for MI7 what it did for TGM and the movie ending above $650m, we simply need to acknowledge that it didn't connect with everyone else.

Again I'm pretty sure it's the overlong exposition and action which didn't have any 'newness' in it outside of the bike jump which looked better in the BTS videos..with DR2 doing action scenes which have never been done before, I definitely see DR2 being massive and challenge Fallout's B.O

I see what you are saying but I still think it is overstated that the WOM is mixed or not great here. Audience metrics don't back that up.  A Cinema Score,  94 RT audience score and 8.2 on IMBD.  It is mostly the marketing and release date that hurt it. If this had Fallout and RN's clear schedule  in the following weeks, it would be doing the same I think. 

6 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

WoM is great. It had great holds in markets where there wasn't a BARBENHEIMER storm. It just got wiped out by a unique phenomenon. I think there's still a chance that it beats FALLOUT in a few markets.

that makes no sense, MI is an action film, the other are a comedy and biopic, MI should not struggle this bad, wom must just be ok, if they are not telling their friends to see it

18 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

that makes no sense, MI is an action film, the other are a comedy and biopic, MI should not struggle this bad, wom must just be ok, if they are not telling their friends to see it

It makes sense. Not sure if you are ridiculously naive or just a hater. You don't have to be a genius to understand what a behemoth does to the market. Plus MI obviously lost IMAX and PLF, the formats that it was marketed to people to see the film. Paramount blew this, there's no way back now unfortunately. The good news is, the film is great, reception is great, so all set for DR2 to succeed.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It makes sense. Not sure if you are ridiculously naive or just a hater. You don't have to be a genius to understand what a behemoth does to the market. Plus MI obviously lost IMAX and PLF, the formats that it was marketed to people to see the film. Paramount blew this, there's no way back now unfortunately. The good news is, the film is great, reception is great, so all set for DR2 to succeed.

Indy dropped 46% with poor wom last weekend, so MI had no excuse for falling 60%+ off a Wednesday release

13 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

13 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

In my opinion, it’s a mix of both Barbenheimer stealing all the attention and MI7’s own fault for looking like more of the same. I’ve been saying that for weeks before release, that the movie would probably disappoint because it looked repetitive, and post-pandemic audiences are rejecting theatrical releases that don’t feel like anything special. The competition from last weekend’s openers definitely hurt its chances of recovery with good word of mouth. It was hard for good reception to spread when everyone was already obsessed with Barbie and Oppenheimer, even if those were from different genres. But MI7 also underperformed in its own opening, so the movie had its own problems. That’s not to say it wasn’t well received by those who went to see it, well received movies failing to have great legs at the box office is not new.

Yes, we were expecting a higher OW domestically, but the reality is that even with RN legs it would have beat FALLOUT, so can't call that bad. The mix of Barbenheimer and SoF was just too much to deal with. If you look at overseas, it is doing FALLOUT numbers excluding China. So don't think they have to do anything drastic for DR2.

• Like 2

What the post pandemic B.O shows us you need to be creative in your marketing. Barbenheimer was organic and generated from the ground up + Barbie has a natural multigenerational fan base.

Unlike TGM which had Cinemacon, Cannes and countless viral videos, MI didn’t have anything partly because unfortunately all the Late night show hosts were on strike and that they and released the trailer and premiered the movie way too late after months of doing nothing and Barbenheimer rake in all the hype.

3 minutes ago, Algebra said:

What the post pandemic B.O shows us you need to be creative in your marketing. Barbenheimer was organic and generated from the ground up + Barbie has a natural multigenerational fan base.

Unlike TGM which had Cinemacon, Cannes and countless viral videos, MI didn’t have anything partly because unfortunately all the Late night show hosts were on strike and that they and released the trailer and premiered the movie way too late after months of doing nothing and Barbenheimer rake in all the hype.

Going a whole year without a new trailer was just so dumb. I know we keep blasting Paramount but TC is heavily involved in all aspects of these movies it seems so you wonder if he had a part in these marketing choices. 

16 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Going a whole year without a new trailer was just so dumb. I know we keep blasting Paramount but TC is heavily involved in all aspects of these movies it seems so you wonder if he had a part in these marketing choices. 

Who knows what the internal discussions were! But they have data analytics and social media people working out current trends and correlate with how such such trends have played out in the past…I can’t believe they failed to pick up Barbenheimer.

Heck, when you realised that you weren’t getting IMAX for over 10 days, they surely had to move and still didn’t. Wondering what was going on!

Edited by Algebra

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

In my opinion, it’s a mix of both Barbenheimer stealing all the attention and MI7’s own fault for looking like more of the same. I’ve been saying that for weeks before release, that the movie would probably disappoint because it looked repetitive, and post-pandemic audiences are rejecting theatrical releases that don’t feel like anything special. The competition from last weekend’s openers definitely hurt its chances of recovery with good word of mouth. It was hard for good reception to spread when everyone was already obsessed with Barbie and Oppenheimer, even if those were from different genres. But MI7 also underperformed in its own opening, so the movie had its own problems. That’s not to say it wasn’t well received by those who went to see it, well received movies failing to have great legs at the box office is not new.

agree that the “more of the same” aspect probably hurt DR a bit but I do think Sound of Freedom breaking out stole some of MI’s potential audience