Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 2 (Title pending) | May 23, 2025 | Christopher McQuarrie to direct

It would be quite the story if this is a huge hit hit with at least 1.2 billion.  Granted I think 0.8 billion is the ceiling.  0.65B is likely.

Dead Reckoning still made 570 WW despite being steamrolled by Barbenheimer in week 2. And all the audience metrics  were good for it even if below the previous 3 movies.  It feels like groundhog  day always having to say that. 8 is not going below 400 m or 500 m unless it's terrible which is very unlikely  because they never are no matter how turbulent the productions are. 

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, BigBoxOfficeBucks said:

Everyone in this world knows this is going to be a bomb even before the filming is done. The crew/director must have known that. I feel so bad for them. It must be so demoralizing. 

all i can say is the franchise has been there before after MI3 , they upped their game with Ghost Protocol and audiences responded , can miracle #2 happen ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

all i can say is the franchise has been there before after MI3 , they upped their game with Ghost Protocol and audiences responded , can miracle #2 happen ?

This is different. This is Part 2, a continuation of Part 1. People who have not seen Part 1 are not gonna see Part 2. Few Part 2 movies break out after Part 1 flopped

Edited by Maggie

38 minutes ago, Maggie said:

This is different. This is Part 2, a continuation of Part 1. People who have not seen Part 1 are not gonna see Part 2. Few Part 2 movies break out after Part 1 flopped

I saw Deathly Hallows Part II in Theaters without ever seeing Part I.

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

You read the book first?

Nope.  I saw the film when it came out in Summer 2011.  I read the book in late 2016.  

It was not hard to figure out what I needed to from the first few minutes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

They might if they caught up to Part One at home in the following 2 years and this time there is not a phenom known as Barbenheimer distracting them from going to the theaters and maybe a better marketing campaign this time. Once again I feel like a broken record but it still made 570 WW and had pretty decent legs after it took that massive hit in week 2. If not for that it would have done typical Mission numbers. And yes people liked the movie even if not as much as the previous 3. Some Rando's on Letterboxed or where ever does not cancel out all the audience metrics from CS to IMBD rating to RT audience score.  Having said all that it's still a financial bomb most likely because it costs too much dam money and nobody is saying no to TC. I will concede that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

The question is why? Did you just go along with a Harry Potter Fan? 

Yes, I went with my sister.  She had previously shown me the first 4 Harry Potter movies, so I at least knew who the characters were.

• Like 1

As to nobody says no to Tom Cruise, studios are going to start doing just that if Cruise's demands cost too much money.

And in the meantime Paramount is trying to cash in on  Top Gun Maverick without waitning for a sequel by greenlighint a remake of their other megahit film about US Navy pilots from the 80's ,1982's "Officer and a Gentlemen: about a group of pilot candidates trying to survive the first state of Officer training which main job is to find and wash out those who don't have "The Right Stuff" for Naval Aviators. They can do it for a lot less and quicker then a TG sequel because there are no expasive aviation scenes involved. (You don't get near a trainer just until AFTER you graduate from the first stage of officer training".

Irony is that Top GUn got greenlit in hopes of Paramount getting another "Officer and a Gentlemen". Oh, the irony.

Now who will they get to  play Gunnery Sergeant Foley, the tougha s nails DI , which the late Lou Gossett won his Oscar for.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 4:09 AM, BigBoxOfficeBucks said:

Not in this post-covid /streaming age.

And not with Tom Cruise reaching the age where he can no longer play the hero.

And I am under the impression this is widely seen, even it is not officially announced, that it will be Cruise's awan song for  Ethan as the hero of the IM films. They could keep him on by kicking Ethan upstairs to be head of IMF and have him be like "M" in the Bond films  but if the fracnhsie contiunes they have to give the big action scenes to other actors.

• Like 1