PatrickvD

The Pixar Club

Brave sucked. Wreck if Ralph was robbed of the Oscar. There I said it. :P

Not really a controversial statement. Although I think the films are far closer than most people make it out. Brave isn't nearly as bad as most people make it out to be. It's flawed, but it attempts to do a lot of new things, especially for a four-quadrant film. WiR isn't as good as the fans would like. It's got a middle act that meanders a bit and loses sight of the core concept.

Should WiR have won? Probably, but it's not clear cut. Brave isn't even close to the least deserving Oscar winner.

• Like 2

Brave sucked. Wreck if Ralph was robbed of the Oscar. There I said it. :P

I think Brave won for that last act, which admittedly is very strong Pixar film-making, but still doesn't excuse the first two thirds from being extremely mediocre and forgettable. WiR was far and away superior on the whole.

• Like 1

I think Brave won for that last act, which admittedly is very strong Pixar film-making, but still doesn't excuse the first two thirds from being extremely mediocre and forgettable. WiR was far and away superior on the whole.

I agree that it probably won for the last act, but I don't think the first two thirds were mediocre. 

WiR was better though and should have won. However, I like Brave, so I am okay with it winning.

Frankenweenie was the most deserving out of the "snubs"

Frankenweenie was MAYBE the fourth best animated film in 2012. Maybe. And I'm only saying that because I'm not sure  how I'd slot it against Pirates: Band of Misfits. It was definitely worse than Paranorman.

• Like 2

It was definitely worse than Paranorman.

ParaNorman's first half was a turgid bore, imo. It slightly picks up in the second half but aside from its ballsy gay joke at the end it left me shrugging.

Edited by tribefan695

Frankenweenie was MAYBE the fourth best animated film in 2012. Maybe. And I'm only saying that because I'm not sure  how I'd slot it against Pirates: Band of Misfits. It was definitely worse than Paranorman.

Yeah Frankenweenie was a bit disappointing, I think it really worked better as a short than a feature film.

ParaNorman's first half was a turgid bore, imo. It slightly picks up in the second half but aside from its ballsy gay joke at the end it left me shrugging.

"turgid bore" is a perfectly valid way to describe Frankenweenie. (I enjoyed it, but it's damn slow.)

It was nothing to write home about either. 2012 was all about WiR in animation for me. Madagascar 3 takes runner up for sheer vibrant summer fun.