PatrickvD

The Pixar Club

Pretty excited for The Incredibles 2! It was long overdue. And let's get that Cars trilogy done so Pixar can dump it sooner.Is the day of the dead movie still coming? It seems like there's been no update about for a very long time now.

I think it's on indefinite hiatus. The Fox/ReelFX film kinda preempted it.

The only thing I'm going to say is I'm happy about "Incrediables 2", it seems like Pixar is finally doing sequels the fans want, "Dory, Incredibles".  "Cars III" is nothing more than a cash grab obviously.  "Planes" did not do as well as the "Cars" Franchise.  But why is Pixar leaning on Sequels?  They became what they became off original content.  

The only thing I'm going to say is I'm happy about "Incrediables 2", it seems like Pixar is finally doing sequels the fans want, "Dory, Incredibles".  "Cars III" is nothing more than a cash grab obviously.  "Planes" did not do as well as the "Cars" Franchise.  But why is Pixar leaning on Sequels?  They became what they became off original content.  

...and a sequel

I've complained alot about Pixar cash grab sequelitis in recent years but I have to consider:

[*]Toy Story 3 was a sequel and it was fantastic [*]Brave was an original and it was Ok [*]After the next two Pixar movies, Pixar will have had 3 originals and 3 sequels in its last 6 movies. (TS3, MU, Brave, Cars 2, Good Dinosaur, Inside Out)

Counter-arguments:

* Cars 2 (meh) and MU (good but not great) 

* Yea but before TS3 there were 7 straight originals (Monster's Inc, Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up)

• Like 2

I've complained alot about Pixar cash grab sequelitis in recent years but I have to consider:

[*]Toy Story 3 was a sequel and it was fantastic

[*]Brave was an original and it was Ok

[*]After the next two Pixar movies, Pixar will have had 3 originals and 3 sequels in its last 6 movies. (TS3, MU, Brave, Cars 2, Good Dinosaur, Inside Out)

Counter-arguments:

* Cars 2 (meh) and MU (good but not great) 

* Yea but before TS3 there were 7 straight originals (Monster's Inc, Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up)

Yeah they've made their bread and butter off originals but their sequels have been hit or miss.  Honestly, Cars 2 and MU were underwhelming.  I think "Toy Story" was the only sequels they got right.  But "Incredibles" and "Dory" were two sequels fans have been screaming for over 10 years.  "Cars III" is being done cause despite what some of Pixar purist say, the franchise is huge with kids and the merchandising his massive.  "Planes" didn't do great enough to really carry what "Cars" does.  

• Like 1

Yeah they've made their bread and butter off originals but their sequels have been hit or miss.  Honestly, Cars 2 and MU were underwhelming.  I think "Toy Story" was the only sequels they got right.  But "Incredibles" and "Dory" were two sequels fans have been screaming for over 10 years.  "Cars III" is being done cause despite what some of Pixar purist say, the franchise is huge with kids and the merchandising his massive.  "Planes" didn't do great enough to really carry what "Cars" does.  

Not at all. In fact a lot of people think that a sequel to Finding Nemo is unnecessary. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Not at all. In fact a lot of people think that a sequel to Finding Nemo is unnecessary. 

Honestly, all of Pixar titles are standalone films.  None of these sequels are necessary but if they were going to do sequels, it should of been "Incrediables" and "Dory" over "Cars II" and "Monsters Prequel". 

Honestly, all of Pixar titles are standalone films.  None of these sequels are necessary but if they were going to do sequels, it should of been "Incrediables" and "Dory" over "Cars II" and "Monsters Prequel". 

No, just Incredibles. There's more potential. Making a sequel to Finding Nemo sounds absurd.  

Edited by Fancyarcher

No, just Incredibles. There's more potential. Making a sequel to Finding Nemo sounds absurd.  

I wouldn't go as far as absurd but I agree that fans weren't necessarily clamoring for a FN sequel. 

Fancy and filmscholar - do you blame Disney for the rash of sequels and 3D re-release gimmicks (something I predicted would happen when they bought Pixar years ago)?

Edited by lilmac

I feel Toy Story 4 is inevitable.  The franchise is to Big at this point.  The Halloween Special was great. 

I wouldn't go as far as absurd but I agree that fans weren't necessarily clamoring for a FN sequel. 

Fancy and filmscholar - do you blame Disney for the rash of sequels and 3D re-release gimmicks (something I predicted would happen when they bought Pixar years ago)?

I blame Cameron for the 3D obsession studios have.  The 3D re-release gimmick is also Cameron's fault but in Defense of George and Steven, "Episode I" and "Jurassic park" re-releases were a success and done to push them both over a Billion where they belong. I fully understand "Lion King" and "Beauty and the Best" re-releases, as well as "Toy Story 1 and 2".  Atleast Disney is re-releasing Classics and not just anything. 

I think Lion King deserves the blame for the 3D re-release surge. Regardless of what Avatar did Disney was probably going to re-release it anyway in anticipation of its Blu Ray release. That it was a huge success was what encouraged the other re-releases.

Toy Story 1 & 2, I think. It came out in 2009 and was probably the one that got them thinking it could work. The release dates of the others were probably too close to have the business of one affect the others in a positive way.

I feel Toy Story 4 is inevitable.  The franchise is to Big at this point.  The Halloween Special was great. 

Yeah, it is inevitable. I just pray it somehow manages to live up to the quality of 2 and 3, but that's such a tall order. And 3 was such a perfect cap to the franchise, I don't know how 4 won't feel unnecessary and cash grab-ish.

• Like 2

Yeah, basically I view Dory and Incredibles 2 as being for the fans, cause you're right fans have been clamoring for both for the better part of a decade, and Cars 3 is a quick cash grab, no two ways about it. Thankfully the Cars movies in general have been their only films that have felt just like cash grabs, so hopefully that stays exclusive to that franchise and Pixar doesn't do it with other sequels.

• Like 1

What better not happen is another one of their originals getting canned. That may just be the last straw for a lot of fans.

I don't think that matters so much if it's canned for the right reasons and a sequel is greenlit for the right reasons (ie which has the better plot). I'll take a  Toy Story 3 sequel over a Brave original any day.

• Like 1

I don't think that matters so much if it's canned for the right reasons and a sequel is greenlit for the right reasons (ie which has the better plot). I'll take a  Toy Story 3 sequel over a Brave original any day.

Can you ever convince people it was for the "right reasons"? Anything you say will be presumed to be towing the company line.

• Like 1