Grade it  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

On 3/27/2019 at 8:09 PM, Water Bottle said:

My problem wasn't the concept but the execution of it lol. I still don't understand how the clones who would mimic them would suddenly stop mimicking them. Just because they saw a dance? All of them? Across the whole country? 

Then there's questions of what happens if the clone gets cancer but the original body doesn't? After the dance that liberated them, why did the shadow (or rather original thanks to the twist) main character decide to go through with the self C-section, marriage, and stuff? 

The "Who controls who?" made little sense unless you contort what is given to suit your interpretation.

The clones were supposed to control the originals above but it "failed" per Red's exposition dump, the originals control the clones (that creepy flashback of the fair) but how did the original Adelaide get to be controlled by her clone above (the dance). Like you said, that dance triggered her "untethering" and clones uprising plan, she never stopped dancing (unlike her clone above who stopped at 14) but still let the clone controlled her (being impregnated, giving birth to two unwanted children) so what was the point of that dance?

Also how does a dancer who can't even snap in rythm on a simple beat get to be a ballerina? :lol:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, baumer said:

People may be turned off by the bloody violence?  

Really?  What part?

I'm referring to the the few "kills" in the film, so to say, which I thought kinda got a "little over the top" in the blood department. It was basically written as a warning towards people like my mom, saying "if you aren't a fan of horror movies, you might potentially be turned off by it, because so and so". It's something that I like to do in my reviews, if that makes sense. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2019 at 1:49 AM, lilmac said:

B

Pros 

- loved the reveal at the end

- I'll watch anything by Jordan Peele - because of his originality - it's like a breath of fresh air

- love Lupita! She was great. Both of her characters

Cons

- Too much symbolism for me to FileZilla UC Browser Rufus keep track of. I definitely need to find a primer on Youtube. Pretty sure I missed alot.

- Film lacked suspense and horror which is what I was looking forward to

- MeToo Infiltration Factor - 6/10 - annoying but not overly so. Examples, "You don't make the decisions anymore!" , Winston Duke and other male character being dumb doofuses and caricatures

Good though I totally missed whatever metaphor it was trying to make. I don't get no comprende 

Edited by MURILIYATSI

Us was pretty chill, fascinating, but severely frustrating to watch, symbolic, and will need to warrant a director's commentary so i can figure out what the movie is.  To me, it seemed like a bunch of movie fanatics in mental asylums hidden in South America think they are superheroes, talk like animals, and invaded America through the sewers.  The kids with impatience is a good theme, and what raising kids with patience means in different regions of the world. 

i'd give it a B for being a good social horror movie, but down a few notches for containing the plot's logic very narrowly, and for abusing the horror genre.

85/100

Edited by Clubs Are Trash
  • Like 1

This movie cannot be explained with logic. It's all symbolic.

It's not about 'sci-fi experiment gone wrong' but a metaphor of today's United States. US stands for United States as underlined by dialogue in the movie: "We are Americans." It was neither a us or them thing. Rich people/high class/"surface people" stay rich, and are even being richer, while "people born in tunneals"/shadows/bottom people suffer. This whole movie is a revolt of bottom people.

On 3/24/2019 at 11:50 AM, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

The basic interpretation I’m getting from this is that the tethered are a metaphor for classism in a since and how your upbringing can shape you.

Doppelgänger Adelaide is able to live a fulfilling life, while the other tethered aren’t able to, because of her changed environment (meanwhile Red goes psychotic).  I got the idea that we’re all the same people, but some people are born in “tunnels” and others are born on the “surface”, and so the difference between these groups of people (and why the tethered seem so much more barbaric than others) isn’t their lack of humanity but being raised in an environment that strips their humanity from them.  

It also seems like there’s themes about the “Us vs Them” complex.  I’m not sure if  the idea of “We’re our own worst enemies” fits what I saw from the film.

There’s still quite a bit I’m trying to pin down, like the significance of the rabbits, scissors and the hands joining.

I don’t care too much about the logistics of the film (like how did the tethered get their scissors) as I don’t think it matters.

Your interpretion came the most close.