charlie Jatinder

International Gross of $2 Billion films at Current Exchange rates.

As we all know that in overseas box office grosses, exchange rates are a major variable that can affect the overall gross of a film considerably. In an attempt to remove this variable and see closer to the actual image, I am compiling the local currency grosses of four 2 Billion dollar films, Avatar, Titanic (including 3D), Avengers: Infinity War and Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and converting them to dollars at current exchange rates of the respective countries.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EeD1sXigLMJpYL4lCufDkuGM_zcI5jDH77io-GykQrE/

The sheet is still work in progress, and I would like help from you all. You can contribute, by sending the local currency gross or correct dollar gross (Since these figures are from Mojo they will be bit incorrect) of your country or countries you track.

You can send your entries by commenting here or mail me. Thanks and let's hope we get the objective done soon.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for starting this, @Charlie Jatinder

I love this kind of exercises. I tried to do something similar some years ago. But I am too lazy to mantain it:

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/18043-adjusting-exchange-rates-first-post-updated-with-jasons-new-list/

Concerning the data you have asked for:

SPAIN

Avatar: €77,032,767 (includes Special edition released in September 2010)

Titanic: €41,615,692 (includes 3D re-release)

The Force Awakens: €33,274,236

Infinity War: €20,503,973

I can not open the link. What kind of data would you need to check?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, peludo said:

I love this kind of exercises. I tried to do something similar some years ago. But I am too lazy to mantain it:

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/18043-adjusting-exchange-rates-first-post-updated-with-jasons-new-list/

SPAIN

Thanks for sharing the Spain numbers. Besides, in case you aren't able to open the sheet, what's the error that you are facing?

25 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Thanks for sharing the Spain numbers. Besides, in case you aren't able to open the sheet, what's the error that you are facing?

Forget it. I have already been able to open it.

Edited by peludo

Chile 

In Local Currency 

• The Force Awakens: 5.904.553.772 
  • Infinity War: 9.054.135.123

Only the 3d re-release is available for Titanic

Titanic 3D: 393.792.360 

At current ER:

• TFA: $8,683,167 USD
  • Infinity War: $13,314,904 USD
  • Titanic 3D: 579,195 USD

Doing a simple conversion by ER to Titanic in 1998 I get 4,1m USD.

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, peludo said:

SPAIN

If you can help with other European countries, check if dollar values I put there are correct or need correction.

28 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

If you can help with other European countries, check if dollar values I put there are correct or need correction.

There is a lot of info about European admissions, but not so much about local grosses. You could take the release's ER to get a local gross and then apply the today's ER. Of course, it is not exact, but it could be a good approximation.

Anyway, I will look at my data and see if I have something beyond Spain and these from Germany (insidekino.com)

GERMANY

The Force Awakens: €102,576,103

Infinity War: €37,919,879

Titanic: There is data just for the 3D re-release - €7,521,301

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, peludo said:

There is a lot of info about European admissions, but not so much about local grosses. You could take the release's ER to get a local gross and then apply the today's ER. Of course, it is not exact, but it could be a good approximation.

Anyway, I will look at my data and see if I have something beyond Spain and these from Germany (insidekino.com)

GERMANY

Germany I got it for Titanic. €126mn. Check sheet. Is that correct?. @peludo

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

22 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Germany I got it for Titanic. €126mn. Check sheet.

Did the links I mailed help?

If you need other countries there, ...

I can imagine it can get confusing, some charts are a bit hidden, especially way past years for some regions.

Insidekino.de / insidekino.com is a great addition, and in some cases far better than BOM and .... IMHO

19 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Thanks @salvador-232. Can you provide other South and Central American countries.

I will try but finding about local currency in South America is hard. Most local sources only report admissions. (And in some cases like Argentina it wouldn't make much sense to count in lc because of the huge inflation)  

Edited by salvador-232

Update so far

Spoiler

Gross: $1.412 Billion

Gross at Current Exchange Rate: $1.127 Billion

Difference: $285 million

Titanic (18 markets)

Spoiler

Gross: $1.105 Billion

Gross at Current Exchange Rate: $1.018 Billion

Difference: $87 million

Avengers: Infinity War (22 markets)

Spoiler

Gross: $1.064 Billion

Gross at Current Exchange Rate: $1.018 Billion

Difference: $46 million

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (22 markets)

Spoiler

Gross: $0.83 Billion

Gross at Current Exchange Rate: $0.824 Billion

Difference: $6 million

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2019 at 10:22 PM, peludo said:

GERMANY

I really wonder how Titanic original gross in EUR was counted when EURO was even officially used until 1999.

I am not too sure if we are too obsessed with the currency factor. 

It is almost a universal fact in economics, when a currency depreciate hugely, the inflation picked up quickly. The currency advantage that some film possess, are always overstated. And, how a film OS gross are hurt by depreciation are too, hugely overstated.

When a currency depreciate, local inflation picked up, supported by many empirical facts.   It is hard to believe when a inflation got hyped up, the movie ticket price didn't go up, which won't be happening when an inflation rate was tamed.

What I am trying to say is, when you think a film hurt by an currency factor, it most probably compensated by a larger than usual inflation rate. 

Check brazil, mexico, russia , and many more countries, when their currencies got worse starting 2015, coincidentally, their inflation during that period was the highest in year too, way beyond usual rate before this. 

• Thanks 1