AndyLL

2019 Derby Leagues Rules, Teams, Information & Help

2019 Summer Version

Rules

• There is no cost to play the Derby League.  You just have to be a forum member.
  • Each League will contain 10 members.
  • Each week you will be pitted against a fellow league member.
  • Your weekly Derby % score determines the winner.
  • 1st 9 weeks will be a round robin format against each league member.
  • Last 3 weeks will be the playoff. ( 6 teams... 1st & 2nd receive a 1st round bye )
  • The middle weeks will be ranked competitions ( 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, 5th vs 6th, 7th vs 8th, 9th vs 10th )
  • For ties in number of wins... Total % over the league will be the tie-breaker
  • Late entries - I've been generous in accepting entries PMed to me after, but close, to the deadline.  To win a league match YOU MUST have your entries in by the deadline.  For those of you that wait until the last few minutes to enter you picks you might want to change you strategy.  Put in your picks earlier and only attempt to make edits late.  The only exception is multiple people report website issues near the deadline in which case I'll extend the deadline.

1st-3rd place in each league will receive prizes:

1st place: 3 Months in the 'League Champion' winner group ( gold account equivalent )

2nd place: 2 Months of premium ( $20 account credit )

3rd place: 1 Month of premium ( $10 account credit )

How To Play The Derby

If you've never played the Derby you need to go to the BOT website and make sure you can sign in.  You use your normal Forum email/password.  If you have always used facebook/twitter to sign into the forums you might have to create a website login. (there is a link for that on the login screen) If you do that use your current display name and send me a PM.

https://derby.boxofficetheory.com

All the Derby links are under the 'Box Office Derby' menu item.  Every week on Tuesday or Wednesday I will create the next weekends game. I always post a pinned topic in the Derby forum letting you know it's open and I post a link to the prediction page.

1st week thread:

Predictions are due Friday at 9:59am PDT. 

Late predictions will not be accepted for league matches unless I determine there were website issues in which case I'll extend it 24 hours.

Many players like to wait until Thursday late to put in your predictions.  This is a bad habit.  Put in your picks as soon as the game opens then edit if needed Thursday night.

YOU MUST PICK ALL 10 movies.  When you hit save all predictions should be green and at the top it'll say 10 of 10 picked.  Not picking a movie gives a zero for the week.

More information on how to pick

• Like 2

Please give me feedback on anything that you think can be improved on from last year.

The following need to be decided on:

• Derby Prediction end time.  In a lot of ways I like it on Friday morning because it cut down on the issues of International users having issues hitting the deadline. So:
  1. Leave it at 10:00 am PDT Friday  ( current )
  2. Midnight Thursday ( old )
  3. Keep it on Friday but move up the time.

• How to handle people missing games.  Last year it was an automatic win.  However we had 2-3 people in every league that rarely showed up. ( I'll try to reduce that this year) Once the round robin rounds were over it wasn't that big of deal because the high seeds play each other but during the 1st 3rd of the season it gave everyone a bye or 2.
  1. Leave it like last year.  Automatic win if your opponent doesn't play ( I'm probably in favor of this option this year... don't like to penalize people that show up every week)
  2. Automatic tie point but to get the actual win you have to beat the derby average
  3. Have to beat the Derby average for a win otherwise it's a loss

I'd like to hear any other ideas to improve the  leagues

• Like 1

2.  Thursday night deadline.  Too much info published on Friday turning predictions into projections

1. Leave like last year.  Derby average is often tough to beat and most likely tougher than a bottom seed which are usually the no shows. It would be penalizing the 8th or 9th seed making it harder to crawl out of the basement in middle weeks.

How about a playoff for the league winners? Super Derby!

I agree the Thur night deadline is better b/c by Friday morning not only do we have preview numbers but also estimates for other top films and often Thur numbers.  If we keep it Friday for O/S players then it should be earlier like  8 or 9am EST

A win vs a no show is the right way to got since it doesn't penalize those who play.  

As for dealing with no shows, my suggestion is if someone misses two or three weeks they should be eliminated from the tourney.  If it's uneven numbers then the previous weeks highest avg could have a bye

I'll put forward the idea for playoffs to be inter league for a grand champion of sorts and the original leagues are more like conferences. 

Put all the top 2 placements in one playoff set up

3rd and 4ths in another and the 5th and 6ths in another.  

Or something

On 3/30/2019 at 6:16 AM, POTUS 2020 said:

2.  Thursday night deadline.  Too much info published on Friday turning predictions into projections

I'll likely move it back to Thursday.  I will say that it seems since it has been Fridays that the winners have been spread out a little.... Perhaps the top players are adjusting their picks based on Thursday  night estimates?

17 hours ago, chasmmi said:

I'll put forward the idea for playoffs to be inter league for a grand champion of sorts and the original leagues are more like conferences. 

Put all the top 2 placements in one playoff set up

3rd and 4ths in another and the 5th and 6ths in another.  

Or something

Perhaps the winners of the leagues could be put into a single league for the fall?

11 hours ago, AndyLL said:

I'll likely move it back to Thursday.  I will say that it seems since it has been Fridays that the winners have been spread out a little.... Perhaps the top players are adjusting their picks based on Thursday  night estimates?

Perhaps the winners of the leagues could be put into a single league for the fall?

Well if its making it more competitive then I guess Friday is better. Boring with @Sheikh @Bates @TalismanRing and the former matrix4u winning all the time and occasionally me.  I think the top tier players are better at analyzing pre market data in the buzz thread and fandango on thursday. With preview numbers for new releases on friday the next tier is doing better and levels the field a bit I guess. I'm doing the same either way.  My wins are usually when I nail the derby killer.

inter league championship sounds good

It would be nice to do a bracket again sometime

Edited by POTUS 2020

Несколько фактов обо мне и мысли о дерби    

1. Теперь крайний срок для меня пятница 7 утра (тихоокеанское время)

2. Через месяц мое расписание изменится, я точно не знаю как.

3. Я привыкну к любому сроку.

4. Я согласен, что поздний срок дает меньше шансов неопытным игрокам.

5. Один главный победитель в лиге - хорошая идея.

PS Я с удовольствием приму приз за прошлый год (если это возможно)

Edited by Bates

On 3/29/2019 at 4:07 PM, AndyLL said:

2019 Summer Version

Rules

• There is no cost to play the Derby League.  You just have to be a forum member.
    • Each League will contain 10 members.
    • Each week you will be pitted against a fellow league member.
    • Your weekly Derby % score determines the winner.
    • 1st 9 weeks will be a round robin format against each league member.
    • Last 3 weeks will be the playoff. ( 6 teams... 1st & 2nd receive a 1st round bye )
    • The middle weeks will be ranked competitions ( 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, 5th vs 6th, 7th vs 8th, 9th vs 10th )
    • For ties in number of wins... Total % over the league will be the tie-breaker
    • Late entries - I've been generous in accepting entries PMed to me after, but close, to the deadline.  To win a league match YOU MUST have your entries in by the deadline.  For those of you that wait until the last few minutes to enter you picks you might want to change you strategy.  Put in your picks earlier and only attempt to make edits late.  The only exception is multiple people report website issues near the deadline in which case I'll extend the deadline.

1st-3rd place in each league will receive prizes:

1st place: 3 Months in the 'League Champion' winner group ( gold account equivalent )

2nd place: 2 Months of premium ( $20 account credit )

3rd place: 1 Month of premium ( $10 account credit )

How To Play The Derby

If you've never played the Derby you need to go to the BOT website and make sure you can sign in.  You use your normal Forum email/password.  If you have always used facebook/twitter to sign into the forums you might have to create a website login. (there is a link for that on the login screen) If you do that use your current display name and send me a PM.

https://derby.boxofficetheory.com

All the Derby links are under the 'Box Office Derby' menu item.  Every week on Tuesday or Wednesday I will create the next weekends game. I always post a pinned topic in the Derby forum letting you know it's open and I post a link to the prediction page.

1st week thread:

Predictions are due Friday at 9:59am PDT. 

Late predictions will not be accepted for league matches unless I determine there were website issues in which case I'll extend it 24 hours.

Many players like to wait until Thursday late to put in your predictions.  This is a bad habit.  Put in your picks as soon as the game opens then edit if needed Thursday night.

YOU MUST PICK ALL 10 movies.  When you hit save all predictions should be green and at the top it'll say 10 of 10 picked.  Not picking a movie gives a zero for the week.

More information on how to pick

by the way your first week thread is for last years, confused me a tad

10 hours ago, Keanu said:

How does this above .aspx work?  :yoda:  How do you know who your up against?  :poke:  Am I the only one who has no clue?  :thinking:

tenor.gif?itemid=6165284

Click on your league.  Scroll down.

YORYKHY.jpg

• Thanks 1