Eric is Quiet

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

Pretty sure the biggest hurdle to getting a distribution deal in the US is Coppola's apparent insistence on a major P&A spend and big backend deal for the producers. Which makes sense as starting point, but he likely will settle for less at the end.

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Tree Of Life was also a divisive Cannes release from a long-anticipated master director that plenty of people hated at the time and said was pretentious non-commercial garbage and some said was the great movie of an era. 13 years on, the latter narrative has certainly won out. I'm not saying that this is going to be Tree of Life in terms of quality and long-term reputation, but can absolutely see some parallels. 

Have either narrative really won out? I legitimately haven't heard about or even thought about this film in years. I never see it referenced by anyone online or off, either. I think people seem to agree it's not a bad film, but "the great movie on an era?"

As for this teaser, it looks great, but also it's a series of random shots, so there's really nothing much to work with in this teaser.

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Have either narrative really won out? I legitimately haven't heard about or even thought about this film in years. I never see it referenced by anyone online or off, either. I think people seem to agree it's not a bad film, but "the great movie on an era?"

As for this teaser, it looks great, but also it's a series of random shots, so there's really nothing much to work with in this teaser.

It's usually ranked among the best films of the century on all the big lists? I don't know if I love it personally, but the people who tend to write the canon of film certainly are elevating it to that level. Obviously that isn't reflected in commercial audiences yet, but as we've discussed in this very thread, 20, 30, 40 years down the line, that kind of evaluation absolutely matters to it finding an audience.

It honestly kind of seems to be going for a weird Atlas Shrugged vibe and aesthetic, so Snyder actually kind of tracks given that fascist Randian stuff seems to be his whole deal. Obviously don't think it's going to be a Snyder quality film lol.

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

This looks like a Snyder movie.

ummmmm I agree

though that might not be a bad a thing at the end

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

ummmmm I agree

though that might not be a bad a thing at the end

Not really a bad thing since I think it looks good. Let's hope it doesn't feel like a Snyder movie.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Oh, I don't give a shit at all what movies cost tbh.

Oh yes, but distributors absolutely do, and while the movies actual budget is self financed the 100 marketing price tag attached to this is not.

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It honestly kind of seems to be going for a weird Atlas Shrugged vibe and aesthetic, so Snyder actually kind of tracks given that fascist Randian stuff seems to be his whole deal. Obviously don't think it's going to be a Snyder quality film lol.

Sigh 

I see that narrative’s not going to die out anytime soon. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Sigh 

I see that narrative’s not going to die out anytime soon. 

I don't watch or follow his stuff too closely but I did see 300 and even as a 13 year old it felt mind blowingly....something, which I now recognize is insanely right wing. Can't really speak for his personal beliefs but his fans don't always help his case. But this is the Coppola thread! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh yes, but distributors absolutely do, and while the movies actual budget is self financed the 100 marketing price tag attached to this is not.

Sure, I was just talking about the critical revaluation of Tree of Life and how this has some superficial comparisons as a possible upside.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean he's said he wants to make The Fountainhead into a movie 

He also said that he doesn’t agree with Ayn Rand’s philosophy, and there’s really nothing about his filmography that’s particularly “Randian”. A major theme in his movies is self-sacrifice, which goes completely against Ayn Rand’s ideals.

Snyder said that he likes The Fountainhead specifically for its statements about what it means to be an artist who never compromises. He also said that he no longer intends to make the movie because he believes it’s not the right time for something like that. The idea that he loves Ayn Rand was a narrative that Devin Faraci spread back in 2016. 

That’s all I’ll say on the matter, because I know that derailing this thread with a topic like that is bound to get me in trouble, if it hasn’t already. 

Anyway, this movie looks interesting, but I can see why studios would be hesitant to distribute it. It doesn’t look like something with much mainstream appeal, and I would t expect it to be a big Oscar winner. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Tree Of Life was also a divisive Cannes release from a long-anticipated master director that plenty of people hated at the time and said was pretentious non-commercial garbage and some said was the great movie of an era. 13 years on, the latter narrative has certainly won out. I'm not saying that this is going to be Tree of Life in terms of quality and long-term reputation, but can absolutely see some parallels. 

Thought ToL was delayed purely due to Malick taking a hiatus not due to funding.