Ezen Baklattan

CAYOM Y6 - Official Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, cookie said:

Let me put it this way:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Tbf, I'd be somewhat concerned if you weren't feeling that way afterwards.

5 minutes ago, Rorschach said:
  Hide contents

Tbf, I'd be somewhat concerned if you weren't feeling that way afterwards.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah, but it kinda went off the rails when it turned into immediate gross-out horror in the last twenty minutes while the investigation stuff and especially the first part with them being kids were way more engaging.

Edited by cookie
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, cookie said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Yeah, but it kinda went off the rails when it turned into immediate gross-out horror in the last twenty minutes while the investigation stuff and especially the first part with them being kids were way more engaging.

Spoiler

tenor.gif?itemid=7833294

@cookie

To be fair I think it works because the slow burn/coming of age nature of the opening while still allowing the terror and uncertainty of the mystery to keep building, unease only growing. In hindsight, I think a bit more could have  be done to lead into he shocking twist (sorry for not thinking if this sooner

@Rorschach) and given its nature, focusing a bit more on the female characters, esp. Kimber (I haven't read the new draft but made this point briefly in my feedback to Rory). The final reveal felt legitimately stomach churning and heartwrenching, but I can see how it falls into the same trap of AFTER PARTY in terms of playing toward the heroic bystanders rather than the victims.

I still think the final gut punch is so effective I had to give it a strong mark.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

@cookie

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yeah, I'm not gonna say anything about it but this is one of those cases where if someone dislikes the ending, I completely 100 percent get it and I won't argue otherwise. Like, I completely get it. I knew from the moment I decided to adapt the original story that this was absolutely not gonna be an easy sit for some people, in terms of the subject matter and the story content. So I'm not at all shocked about the response the ending has been getting (I'm trying to keep this as vague as possible for those who haven't read it yet).

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm not saying the ending makes the movie hot garbage or anything, the first two hours I have no real complaints other than I found it the most engaging when they were kids since it's easier to feel that sense of powerlessness when bad things happen and not being able to understand what all the adults are up to than when they are in their late teens (though I really liked the funeral scene since it was an effective use of texting to build tension). I'm just saying it's those last 20 minutes where I start having real reservations.

I agree with @Spaghetti that more could’ve been done to lead into it, even if I see where it was set up in hindsight. It’s perhaps because the movie sort of heads in a different direction for most of the middle portion so it feels like a bit too sharp of a right hand turn.

And I guess the

Spoiler

downer

end note didn’t really do much to calm those reservations.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

@cookie I have something I want to tell you but I’d rather not share it in here for spoiler reasons.

Send a PM my way if you want to talk.

(I also edited my last post so it doesn't give away direct spoilers)

Edited by cookie

Mass Effect: Ascension is now done.

Still needs a shit-ton of editing, so it won't be posted until tomorrow evening. @Xillix I will tag you when it is fully uploaded so you can note the theater count and everything in the first post of Part 1.

In the course of writing it things went slightly different from my original plan, so 1-2 characters ended up not appearing at all, and a couple other characters got more emphasis.

So here is the cast billing in final form:

Spoiler

Mackenzie Davis

Blair Underwood 

Sean Teale 

Rob McElhenney 

Rosamund Pike

Corey Stoll    Gemma Chan  

Toby Kebbell    Essie Davis 

Charles Dance    Isabela Moner    Kiernan Shipka

Tadanobu Asano    Clark Gregg    Matthew Modine 

with Mandy Patinkin