efialtes76

Monday Numbers: OUATIH 4.63M

43 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Because it's not 1st place. Which is usually where "smashes" go. 

It's a success, sure. It's not a "smash." If it costs 90mil to make and best case scenario is clearing $120mil DOM,  nobody would call that a "smash." 

It's a smash for record OW for a director who never had more than 30m+ opener. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tawasal said:

It's a smash for record OW for a director who never had more than 30m+ opener. 

That's a lot of qualifications for something that will barely break even by standards everyone else gets measured by, and will likely lose money if it doesn't approach $400mil WW....

I'm not criticizing the performance so much as I'm criticizing lazy writing...

• Like 3

Ugh, bad drop for TLK. The raw amount of money for it is still big (before everyone jumps on me defending it) but it's safe to say this thing isn't going to have the epic legs we all thought it would. No excuses.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Because it's not 1st place. Which is usually where "smashes" go. 

So if it would have made 70M, have over 3.15x multi with a 35/65 dbo/intl split it would not have been a smashes because it was not 1st place on it's OW ?

Focus on weekend ranking in this franchise world make not much sense anymore (I feel like this is why Colin Ferrell got so overrated, because he was opening movies number 1 has if it was still a relevant metric)

It's a success, sure. It's not a "smash." If it costs 90mil to make and best case scenario is clearing $120mil DOM,  nobody would call that a "smash." 

Will see how much of a success it end up to be (if one at all), but it will have absolutely nothing to do with the movie not being able to beat Lion King second weekend (come-on now you know that is just ridiculous).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

I agree with this (to an extent) but that's unrelated to weekly ranking. 

ASIB was a smash even though Venom doubled its opening weekend. 

Huh? Budget was 36 million made 215 domestically. Vs 90m budget with expectations of 120 (maybe) domestic. Not in the same stratosphere.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

$3m bigger o/w than a movie he directed in 2009.   What an impressive next level jump for him.

So, should his movies underperform instead? Any uptick is better than nothing. It might not be as big as some would have liked or even he would have liked, but it still become his number 1 opener. 

19 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Ugh, bad drop for TLK. The raw amount of money for it is still big (before everyone jumps on me defending it) but it's safe to say this thing isn't going to have the epic legs we all thought it would. No excuses.

Seriously who thought it was gonna have epic legs after the bad critic reviews and wom not near as good as Aladdin? All of that on top of an OW 3 day weekend double that of Aladdin. 

• ...wtf 1

22 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

That's a lot of qualifications for something that will barely break even by standards everyone else gets measured by, and will likely lose money if it doesn't approach $400mil WW....

I'm not criticizing the performance so much as I'm criticizing lazy writing...

Forget what it's going to make in total, nobody for sure knows that. The OW is a smash considering it's just become his highest earner for the first 3 days. 

6 minutes ago, tawasal said:

So, should his movies underperform instead? Any uptick is better than nothing. It might not be as big as some would have liked or even he would have liked, but it still become his number 1 opener. 

But it's not bigger in admissions.  Then there's Django which opened to $63m over a 6 day (Tues- Sun) Christmas week.

Edited by TalismanRing

25 minutes ago, JB33 said:

...nobody said that?

21 minutes ago, Barnack said:

So if it would have made 70M, have over 3.15x multi with a 35/65 dbo/intl split it would not have been a smashes because it was not 1st place on it's OW ?

But it made just over half of 70m, and likely won't make $150 either. 2nd Place isn't really the point aside from the idea that a writer chose to use the term "smash" in 2019, during a summer where "smashes" routinely clear $125mil OW.... in reference to a movie that barely made $40 mil and opened in 2nd place.... It's a criticism of the writing, not of the film. I wouldn't call this movie a "smash" by any metric. But it's still a success so far. 

The amount of qualifiers you have to add in order to start describing it as a "smash" is too many, for me... It's hyperbolic at best...

If this were any other R-rated feature that cost $90 mil and ended with $120mil DOM, would you describe that to people here as "a smash hit" by normal standards? I gotta imagine the answer is no. It'd be considered a mild success or a decent earner. "It's a smash hit compared to how little money he normally earns" is kind of a backhanded compliment...

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Seriously who thought it was gonna have epic legs after the bad critic reviews and wom not near as good as Aladdin? All of that on top of an OW 3 day weekend double that of Aladdin. 

I guess I was just holding out hope. I knew - and understood - the lukewarm reception but I figured maybe it still had the base for typical summer legs.

27 minutes ago, JB33 said:

People have been trained to wait til Tuesday....

My brother and his family being the perfect example. The use to go on Mondays since he has a half day off work..now he makes it fit on Tuesday. They are going to see LK again today.

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

...nobody said that?

Are you kidding me? Remember, I'm going back to before the film released. There was talk about it possibly being #1 every weekend until It Chapter Two.

• Like 1

Just now, JB33 said:

I guess I was just holding out hope. I knew - and understood - the lukewarm reception but I figured maybe it still had the base for typical summer legs.

Nah the repeat value is close to zero. I'd rather watch a montage of all the most depressing scenes in EG by themselves than see it again in theaters and I'm a massive TLK fan. 

• Like 1

I don't think the Lion King drop is bad considering it had a pretty small drop on Sunday (much better than TS4 and Aladdin). Incredibles 2's second Monday was down 56% from its first Monday, and this will be about on par with that drop. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocho said:

People have been trained to wait til Tuesday....

My brother and his family being the perfect example. The use to go on Mondays since he has a half day off work..now he makes it fit on Tuesday. They are going to see LK again today.

True, so the Wednesday gross will be telling.