cannastop

How does the relative strength of the Canadian Dollar affect DOM totals?

You might know that DOM totals are USA+Canada.

But the US and Canada do not have the same currency, and even though there have been times when both dollars were at parity, that is not the case now.

So perhaps if the Canadian dollar were stronger, Avengers Endgame might have gotten the all time worldwide record sooner.

Has anyone else considered this?

Pretty sure that DOM totals are tallied in USD.

Edited by cannastop

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

You might know that DOM totals are USA+Canada.

But the US and Canada do not have the same currency, and even though there have been times when both dollars were at parity, that is not the case now.

So perhaps if the Canadian dollar were stronger, Avengers Endgame might have gotten the all time worldwide record sooner.

As anyone else considered this?

Pretty sure that DOM totals are tallied in USD.

It's an interesting point. @Barnack can probably shed more light on this.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It act exactly like any other market in that regard yes, the Can part (around 10% of dom) is fully affected by the exchange rate.

I think there might be a significant amount of box office followers who don't know that Canadian money is incorporated in the DOM total. I didn't know that until a few years ago.

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think there might be a significant amount of box office followers who don't know that Canadian money is incorporated in the DOM total. I didn't know that until a few years ago.

I think it is frequent or they hear it one time, but it get out of the mind in analysis, many end of year down or up of the box office do mention the  exchange rate if it changed but many pundit comments do not.

Was it there even a Forbe collaborator that do not seem to take into account Canadian monday holiday in is Sunday hold prediction ?

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I don't know, was there? How does this work on holidays and weekends?

A bit like US, just smaller, when there is an holiday in Canada usually the days get bigger (and the day before has well)

Except for maybe 6 months a few years ago when the Canadian dollar was at par, or even a little bit stronger than the US dollar, Canadian dollar has always been much much weaker the American dollar. So I don't think it's worth speculating as to which film would have made more money if the exchange rate was better. Go back the last 30 years and you'll see that the Canadian dollar has really never been that strong in comparison to the US dollar.

• Like 1

I didn't even realise Canada had its own currency.  Do you use both? As in, do shops accept USD? Or do people only use CAD?

Similar to Switzerland is not the euro but you can pay with euros everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I didn't even realise Canada had its own currency.  Do you use both? As in, do shops accept USD? Or do people only use CAD?

There is pretty much no US dollar used here.

But it is a constant subject of conversation, because pro Hockey player are paid in USD.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

You didn't realize that Canada was a separate country from the US?

Of course we have our own currency. Our money is different colors and yes we accept US dollars but nobody uses them here. The entire country uses our own currency.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avatree said:

Wow.

Uh no. You generally switch out your money at the border.Do you try to use Pounds in Germany?

I get that Switzerland is a special situation though.

Edited by cannastop

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Of course we have our own currency. Our money is different colors and yes we accept US dollars but nobody uses them here. The entire country uses our own currency.

Pretty sure no one in the USA accepts Canadian money though.

32 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yes we do have our own currency. We also live in igloos.

To be fair too, most only during stay in there igloo during the time the suns never rise in Canada, 5th season called Canadadark.

Seriously I think there is many people from Europe that think that we live below the surface has a way to survive winter (in part because of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_City,_Montreal).

5 hours ago, baumer said:

I guess somebody never got the word back in 1775 that attempt to make Canada the 14th Colony failed...

6 hours ago, baumer said:

This. I usually exchange my US dollars for Canadian dollars when I visit Canada for convience's sake,, but have never had US dollars refused.

But I am sure the difference between US and Canadian curreny is factored in when they give the North American totals.

Edited by dudalb