Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, Bobzaruni said:

Is the weather that big a deal in the UK Box Office? It seems like it can make-or-break certain totals.

Definitely is. Same as Germany and other European countries. 

Generally during hot and sunny periods of weather cinemas are quieter, especially the first few hot spells of summer. During rainy and cooler periods cinemas do very well. Obviously this is only a summer phenomenon. The rest of the year the weather has little to no impact.

47 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Flash is looking terrible locally to me. Like, worse than Transformers. I'm sure it won't turn out that way, but it is odd

Same near me for what it’s worth, the 550 seat IMAX is about a quarter full for the 19:50 showing on Wednesday, but standard shows are a ghost town, although my Cineworld doesn’t seem to have any standard showings between 19:20 and 21:10, seemingly in an effort to push people to the PLF’s which doesn’t really seem to be working beyond Wednesday night.

I’m sure it’ll do much better than Transformers, but it’s definitely muted. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it below Across the Spider-Verse’s OW.

8 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Same near me for what it’s worth, the 550 seat IMAX is about a quarter full for the 19:50 showing on Wednesday, but standard shows are a ghost town, although my Cineworld doesn’t seem to have any standard showings between 19:20 and 21:10, seemingly in an effort to push people to the PLF’s which doesn’t really seem to be working beyond Wednesday night.

I’m sure it’ll do much better than Transformers, but it’s definitely muted. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it below Across the Spider-Verse’s OW.

That's the Cineworld way these days, do everything possible to squeeze money from the consumer. I do wonder how long they have until they fully collapse. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Flash is looking terrible locally to me. Like, worse than Transformers. I'm sure it won't turn out that way, but it is odd

Same here, just checked tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Same at mine. I’m going to the 19.50 imax which is the busiest of the bunch, but still only 1/4 full. 

Cineworld keep doing this with the peak showtimes. Glad it’s IMAX 2D though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heretic said:

What are we thinking for The Flash 5 day opening? 

Pre-sales don’t look great, but also not terrible. Maybe it can get close to £10m for the 5 day. 

I think it’ll be closer to £5m than £10m by the look of my local. And this weather. 

2 hours ago, Bobzaruni said:

Visiting the UK this week and was planning to watch The Flash here, Odeon 8PM IMAX on Wed in Greenwich is 50/280 full (18%~). Seems kinda low.

Be mindful, that's a pretty small IMAX. The Super Screen at Cineworld 02 nearby would be better value

2 hours ago, Bobzaruni said:

Visiting the UK this week and was planning to watch The Flash here, Odeon 8PM IMAX on Wed in Greenwich is 50/280 full (18%~). Seems kinda low.

Be mindful, that's a pretty small IMAX. The Super Screen at Cineworld 02 nearby would be better value

On 6/13/2023 at 8:40 AM, Krissykins said:

Same here, just checked tomorrow. 

Same at mine. I’m going to the 19.50 imax which is the busiest of the bunch, but still only 1/4 full. 

Cineworld keep doing this with the peak showtimes. Glad it’s IMAX 2D though. 

Flash definitely got a bit busier here overnight. Will check again closer to showtimes. 

edit: yes, the 18.10 and 19.20 showtimes have filled out a fair bit, the 19.50 IMAX has filled up nicely too since this morning. Still just under 3 hours to go. 

Seeing the film tonight, haven’t had any spoilers thankfully. 

Edited by Krissykins

The 19:50 IMAX near me doesn’t seem to have filled up too much with walk ups, I’d say it’s about a third full. Not to be overly negative, but it definitely feels like an underperformance is on the cards here if that’s the best it can do for opening night.

Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1 now has a Monday release which now means it has a 7 Day opening, guessing they want to maximise the IMAX showings before Oppenheimer takes them.

I think the weekend of Oppenheimer and Barbie will be busy. 

• Like 1