Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, UKBoxOffice said:

If you have any particular films in mind to check just let me know and I'll have a look

Thanks 👍 others like Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4 opened during term-time compared to Finding Dory, Toy Story 3 and Inside Out opening at the start of summer holidays? 

21 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Toy Story 3 back in the day when Mon-Thu weren't added to OW as well makes that number insane. 

What do you mean by this. Does the IO2 number include money earned before Fri?

Toy Story 4 and Incredibles 2 are good comparisons as both opened on a Friday not during school holidays

Toy Story 4
Monday £1.41m
Tuesday £1.61m
Wednesday £1.46m
Thursday £943

2nd Weekend £8.3m

Incredibles 2
Monday £1.56m
Tuesday £1.61m
Wednesday £1.55m
Thursday £1.22m

2nd Weekend £6.81m (this was the start of the holidays though)

Edited by UKBoxOffice
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Quigley said:

What do you mean by this. Does the IO2 number include money earned before Fri?

Toy Story 3 opened on a Monday, before pre Friday days were added to the opening weekend total. So that number was after burning 4 days of demand. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Tuesday £1.12m

Down similar to Toy Story 4 second weekend, depending on the weather as temperatures could be the hottest this year to date? 

Presales look very strong for Doctor Who could open #2 just with Friday 11pm show? 

Malta 2023

Rank Title Country Admissions
1 Barbie USA 52,488
2 The Little Mermaid USA 28,017
3 The Super Mario Bros. Movie USA 28001
4 Oppenheimer USA 27,577
5 Avatar: The Way of Water USA 25,660
6 Wonka USA 20,814
7 Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse USA 15,638
8 Fast X USA 15,018
9 Napolean USA 13,849
10 Elemental USA 13,519

The Maltese cinema industry generated total box office receipts of €4.5 million in 2023, a 32 per cent increase over the previous year’s showing helped in part by Barbie’s domination of the cultural zeitgeist upon its much-anticipated release.

That movie alone attracted over 52,000 admissions – 8.8 per cent of all cinema admissions during the year.

Speaking three weeks after its Maltese release, Eden Leisure Group CEO Simon De Cesare said the film was still attracting viewers in their hundreds, with full shows on most days.

He reported that many viewers are coming back to see it a second time, with the film being a thought-provoking and at times controversial experience, not just an entertaining one – not to mention that it presented “an excuse to dress up in pink and take photos.

Mr De Cesare described seeing the “whole area buzzing with excitement” as “amazing”, noting that Barbie lends itself to a “great audience experience before, during and after the film”.

The second- and third-placed The Little Mermaid (28,017 admissions) and The Super Mario Bros. Movie (28,001 admissions) were followed by Oppenheimer (27,577), with viewership much more in line to that registered by films screened in 2022.

Throughout 2023, cinemas in Malta and Gozo projected 385 different film titles and registered a total of 594,087 admissions.

Both the box office total (€4.5 million) and the number of admissions (594,087) represent an improvement in the local cinema industry’s fortunes.

In 2022, it generated €3.4 million from 460,000 admissions.

Last year’s performance is the local cinema industry’s best since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, but remains well below the €4.96 million generated on 735,000 admissions in 2019.

In 2023, Maltese productions, many of which belonged to the short films rather than the feature films category, had 4,884 admissions with a total gross box office of €20,457 in 143 screenings.

On the other hand, foreign productions, which besides the traditional feature films also included event cinema, had 589,203 admissions with a total gross box office of €4,488,290 in 30,599 screenings

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Wednesday Inside Out £1.04m

How did Toy Story 4 and Incredibles 2 do Fri/Sat/Sun? Will Inside Out 2 drop similar and it also has to deal with the first hot sunny weekend of the year.

While Doctor Who tonight from cinemas I've looked at looks very strong will it be #2 for the weekend from one evening showing? 

3 hours ago, GreenbackBoogie said:

How did Toy Story 4 and Incredibles 2 do Fri/Sat/Sun? Will Inside Out 2 drop similar and it also has to deal with the first hot sunny weekend of the year.

While Doctor Who tonight from cinemas I've looked at looks very strong will it be #2 for the weekend from one evening showing? 

This weekend won’t be the first hot sunny one of the year. That was a few weeks ago now. 

I’d say no to Doctor Who being #2 for the whole weekend. 

45 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Thursday £780k

I think it will have quite a large drop this weekend with the weather

I'm not so sure about that. Yesterday was particularly nice and the England game was at 5pm which would have put a real dent in things.

Weather looks fine this weekend but it's been a little rainy where I am tonight and it seems like it's gonna be fairly overcast the next two days. Might drop above average in comparison to other major markets, but I think it will be fine.

1 hour ago, YM! said:

Good weather messing up the box office again?

Being from Mexico and now living in Europe. It was a big surprise when I learnt that people go to the movies when the weather is crap. In Mexico people go to the movies independently of the weather unless there is a hurricane or flood. For me people not going to the movies when there was sun was so weird. After a couple of years living here. I understood that you have to make the most of the good weather days because you never know if it is going to be the last day with sun for the next 3 months :(

Edited by Bob-omb
  • Like 7