Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

I can totally vouch for what PhilipJ2001 has said. I mean I don't run a cinema chain or anything but I've been living in London for the past few years and I go to the cinema a lot. Usually I go to the Vue Finchley Road one if I'm seeing a movie by myself, it's not a particularly busy place, for example when WWZ came out each of the two screenings I attended (both during the weekend) there had like 10 people or so. I watched DM2 last Saturday at 3:30pm and not only was that show practically sold out when I bought the ticket using one of the machines (very handy because you can check out how well/bad the films are doing) at 1pm (aka almost sold out two and half hours before the show which is ridiculous for any film let alone an animation) but also every other screening that day from 3pm onwards were close to being sold out. It was completely ridiculous, which is why I wasn't surprised at all when reading that DM2 had grossed more in 2 days than WWZ did in its proper debut weekend. And the audience loved it, yes there's less (but still some) 'heart' in it but as mass entertainment it is absolutely fantastic and superb fun for all age groups, the jokes and gags are there almost non-stop, and the minions were universally loved and adored, quite often even the ADULT ladies/guys around me were also laughing hysterically, and there were quite a lot of them too. Quite a few people clapped at the end. At the end of that screening my impression was quite simple: we have a monster hit in our hands. Guys, this seriously resembles far more towards Shrek than KFP.

Then I checked out a few cinemas today as well, again at both Vue Westfield White City (Londoners will know how big that one is) and Vue Finchley Road every single show from 1pm onwards were either sold out or close to sold out, even the Sunday afternoon shows were like 2/3 booked already. For a comparison: I watched MoS with a friend at Vue Islington at 1:40pm on its release day, and there was like 15 people there. If you consider how ridiculously expensive cinema tickets are in the UK these days (a standard 2D ticket with a 'student discount' cost me 10.95GBP for crying out loud!) DM2 really is performing at a level I've never seen during my years in the UK. Thanks for reading the post, by the way.

Edited by mcneil039
  • Like 5

My god. Could be around £9m for the 3 day, £13.8m with previews, which would top IM3 as biggest opening of the year. I can't believe this.

Baumer's club is looking more and more like a real possibility with every passing day, if the UK performance translates to the US it will be really, properly massive.

Edited by mcneil039

My god. Could be around £9m for the 3 day, £13.8m with previews, which would top IM3 as biggest opening of the year. I can't believe this.

mmm unless Sunday falls over ...well over 9m most likely more in the slightly over/under 10 range and seeing how Sat ends up of cause.

Edited by Rth
  • Like 3

If it followed the 10% rule without previews it would beat Transformers 2 and TDK 5-day... If we included previews it would near 300m for the 5-day. I know that won't happen, but holy shit is UK over performing!