Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

NOVEMBER PREVIEW

1st November

Thor 2 will have it's first proper weekend in November though that was reviewed in the last preview. The weekend is pretty quiet otherwise though I have a feeling that Judi Dench's Philomena is going to break out in wide release. Acclaimed film Short Term 12 is also opening in wide but will not make a big splash at the box office. Drinking Buddies also opens.

8th November

Houston, we've got a problem, there's a release called Gravity opening here, we need to move our films NOW. There was about 4 films scheduled here. Drinking Buddies has moved forward while Last Vegas has moved back. Gravity is now the sole release on this date and it's major buzz, must see 3D event status and IMAX should translate to a big opening. [GOT IMAX TICKETS FOR OPENING SUNDAY]

15th November

Another weekend looking quite small box office wise but there are loads of films. Ridley Scott's The Counsellor should do quite well but it will not be the film that makes load in it's OW. The Butler is another film that won't be frontloaded, though it will not earn much, see maybe a bit smaller gross than The Help. It's box office also depends on how wide it is released. Then North American bomb Battle Of The Year hits cinema though it will earn very little, so will non-marketed Dom Hemingway and In Fear which will probably not get a big release. Don Jon also debuts but do not expect it to do great business here.

21 November

THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE. MAJOR OPENING/MASSIVE GROSSES. BIGGEST FILM OF THE MONTH. DONE

22 November

Again, films that will not be that wide. Controversial film Blue Is The Warmest Colour will most likely get a limited release and not earn that much. The Family is the kind of film that doesn't earn much here and Parkland will be killed by dreadful reviews. Weak weekend which I can only see THG:CF and Gravity topping £1M

29 November

The Best Man Holiday opens and will not earn that much. I predict you should watch out for Leviathan which will be in limited release- I think it will have a great theatre average. Then you have 3 very high profile films. Free Birds should open well but hold on great with the festive holidays, Saving Mr Banks should do great business here and Carrie looks like it will do solid business for a horror.

Though there is no Skyfall holdover, November looks great on quality seeing I want to see Philomena, Gravity, The Butler, Catching Fire, Saving Mr Banks and Free Birds. Also their are 3 18's in 2 weeks as the counsellor, don jon and blue is the warmest colour have all earned that certificate.

• Like 1

Thor 2, like the first (£5.4m OW), has a 5 day opening. Something like £8m for the 5 day seems doable.

Then onto CF... THG opened with £4.9m. I expect CF to at the very least double this. It also has a 4 day opening, so £10m should happen quite easily. Twilight opened to £2.5m, and NM then opened to £11.7m. Obviously the increase won't be as big for CF, but an opening in the low to mid teens (£13-15m) isn't totally out of the question. 

• Like 1

Thor 2, like the first (£5.4m OW), has a 5 day opening. Something like £8m for the 5 day seems doable.

Then onto CF... THG opened with £4.9m. I expect CF to at the very least double this. It also has a 4 day opening, so £10m should happen quite easily. Twilight opened to £2.5m, and NM then opened to £11.7m. Obviously the increase won't be as big for CF, but an opening in the low to mid teens (£13-15m) isn't totally out of the question. 

What do you think on the other November Releases

What do you think on the other November Releases

Gravity I think will have a moderate opening (£3-4m), with strong legs throughout November and the Christmas period to take it to a big total.

The Counsellor could surprise, and Saving Mr Banks will be a very leggy film throughout December.

£8m five days would be great for Thor and in line with other sequels like Star Trek into Darkness and Fast and Furious 6. Gravity I hope for £5m but £3-4m would be fine, it'll likely be number 1 for two weeks. 

Saving Mr Banks I think could do very well but with Disney releasing Frozen only a week later, it may not get as much marketing but it'll be a hit with older audiences.

Gotta disagree with films on Blue is the Warmest Colour. It's had smashing reviews, got the palme d'or this year, and was a Bitch to get tickets for at LFF. It will crack a million, in the same way that Intouchables did in the end last year.

Im not sure on a million. More 850-900 I think but i don't think it will open that well but it will hold up great. 230/870