Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Following the like in the tweets, there are some additional numbers, but I got told to not quote whole articles, that one is rather filled with details (and maybe gets some updates still, see remarks at the beginning of the article)

Ian Sandwell ‏@ian_sandwell 18 mins

Into the Storm whips up £1.12m, as Deliver Us from Evil takes £630k and What If grosses £594k - http://www.screendaily.com/news/luc-bessons-lucy-tops-uk-box-office/5076620.article?blocktitle=MORE-TOP-NEWS&contentID=40294 …

Flops, flops everywhere. 

Universal’s action sci-fi scores excellent $5.1m (£3.1m) bow to dethrone The Inbetweeners 2.Further distributor results to come…The UK and Ireland love(s) Lucy.Universal’s action sci-fi debuted top of the UK box office with a superb $5.1m (£3.08m) bow at a site average of $10,534 (£6,353). That marks director Luc Besson’s best-ever UK opening and the distributor’s fourth number one opening of 2014.As of Bank Holiday Monday [Aug 25], Lucy stands at $6.9m (£4.17m) and generally strong reviews and word-of-mouth should see it shoot past £10m at least.Also for Universal, Secret Cinema’s production of Back to the Future added $862,000 (£520,000) for $4.7m (£2.81m) so far, while Boyhood has reached $4.4m (£2.66m) after seven weeks in play.ENTERTAINMENTDespite being prevented from a third week at the top of the chart, The Inbetweeners 2 still enjoyed a prosperous Bank Holiday weekend as it grossed a further $5.3m (£3.2m) over Fri-Mon.Entertainment’s comedy sequel is now up to a strong $47.2m (£28.5m) and will shortly become only the third 2014 release in the UK to cross the £30m mark, following The Lego Movie and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. If it continues to hold well, it could even challenge The Lego Movie’s position as the year’s highest grosser with $56.8m (£34.3m).WARNER BROSWhipping up $1.9m (£1.12m) on its UK bow, including $716,000 (£432,000) in previews, from its 432 sites was Warner Bros’ Into the Storm.As of yesterday, the disaster thriller has grossed $2.4m (£1.45m) in its attempt to chase down Final Destination 5’s $8.9m (£5.4m) tally to become director Steven Quale’s best-ever UK performer.Also for Warner Bros, The Nut Job has amassed $5.6m (£3.35m) after four weeks in play.SONYPossessing 302 sites through Sony, Deliver Us from Evil scared up $1m (£630,000) on its UK debut, including $368,000 (£222,000) in previews.That marks the lowest ever UK opening for director Scott Derrickson, some way behind his previous lowest, The Exorcism of Emily Rose’s $2.2m (£1.3m) from 359 sites.EONERom-com What If got off to a soft start in the UK through eOne, opening with $984,000 (£593,735) from its 376 sites, including $426,000 (£256,819) in previews. That’s down on the $1.2m (£728,286) debut from 358 sites of director Michael Dowse’s best-ever opening, Goon.Also for eOne, The Rover stands at $244,000 (£147,000) after ten days in play and won’t catch Animal Kingdom’s $807,000 (£487,000) UK tally, while Earth to Echo has amassed $4.3m (£2.6m).LIONSGATEDropping around 60% in its second weekend (excluding previews), The Expendables 3 shot its way to a further $850,000 (£512,611) for $5.2m (£3.1m) as of Sunday [Aug 24]. Barring a late surge, it’s likely to end up as the lowest grosser of the trilogy in the UK, currently The Expendables 2’s $9.9m (£6m).Also for Lionsgate, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For opened in two West End sites for a Fri-Sun tally of $20,000 (£12,117). It started its nationwide previews yesterday [Aug 25], taking $370,000 (£223,480), and opens officially this Friday [Aug 29].ARTIFICIAL EYETwo Days, One Night posted a UK debut of $274,000 (£165,278), including $9,500 (£5,738) in previews, from its 54 sites through Artificial Eye.That marks the Dardenne brothers’ best-ever UK bow and with the film up to $408,000 (£246,387) as of Monday, it’s sure to become the duo’s best-ever UK performer too, topping A Kid With a Bike’s $567,000 (£342,000).METRODOMEGod Help the Girl recorded a UK bow of $202,000 (£121,834) from its 11 sites through Metrodome, the bulk of which came from last Saturday’s [Aug 16] preview with live satellite content.VERTIGO FILMSArgentinian animation The Unbeatables dropped over 50% in its second weekend, taking $126,000 (£75,715) for $948,000 (£571,365) to date through Vertigo Films.PARAMOUNTHercules has now sliced its way to $8.9m (£5.4m) after five weeks in play.UPCOMING RELEASESThis week sees saturation releases for Fox’s Let’s Be Cops (opens Aug 27), Universal’s As Above, So Below and Warner Bros’ If I Stay.Soda Pictures’ Night Moves, eOne’s The Grand Seduction and Disney’s Million Dollar Arm all receive wide releases, while Koch Media’s Obvious Child and Metrodome’s The Guvnors are among the films receiving a limited release.

Nothing from fox yet

And HTTYD2?

see post #9822

(and maybe gets some updates still, see remarks at the beginning of the article)

What I meant was, in the article is this to read. Not all distributors release their numbers on time, if one or two need too long a time till they release their numbers, the articles get updates later on.

Also websites and magazines have their usual release 'rhythm', e.g. me = waiting for another website's updates too

Further distributor results to come…

Nothing from fox yet

I got a few days back a strong hint by the mods to not quote too lengthy parts and to not quote complete articles at all (rules, legal,..)

Only a hint to maybe help to avoid the same for you

I got a few days back a strong hint by the mods to not quote too lengthy parts and to not quote complete articles at all (rules, legal,..) Only a hint to maybe help to avoid the same for you

But this article is always quoted every week in this thread though
  • Like 1

But this article is always quoted every week in this thread though

It was in the US area, but the wording about complete articles sounded very much as generally counting. Maybe they are not the same rules for non US-news outlets? Or no one realised or...

Was only a hint, I do love such articles, hence the reason I posted the link earlier on. No problem by me ;)

Btw, FOX just got updated

OX

Falling a very respectable 37% in its sixth weekend was Fox’s Dawn of the Planet of the Apes as it swung to an additional $983,000 (£592,551) for an excellent $51.9m (£31.3m) as of Monday.

Also for Fox, How to Train Your Dragon 2 has soared to $37.7m (£22.7m) in the UK after it dropped just 32% in its ninth weekend for $729,000 (£439,693).

• Like 1

Rentrak UK & Ireland @Rentrak_UK 12 mins

There's something special about the big screen...Doctor Who #DeepBreath took over £500,000 in cinemas from Saturday's simulcast with BBC One

as far as I know that ~ event was at Monday in some US cinemas too, somthing over $4m

Any numbers for this weekend?

Next weekend seems like a bore with only The Hundred Foot Journey and Sex Tape opening. Unless Sex Tape performs like it did in Portugal and turns into the biggest comedy of the year. 

Any numbers for this weekend?

Next weekend seems like a bore with only The Hundred Foot Journey and Sex Tape opening. Unless Sex Tape performs like it did in Portugal and turns into the biggest comedy of the year. 

I'll add Ian's tweets as he tweets them. Not that he tweets all his findings, especially if an interesting soccer game is too distractive for him ;)

• Like 1