cookie

Cookie Does Requests or Whatever (Cookie's Corner Y6) - Unlike Garfield, this thread doesn't hate Mondays

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

I may have miscounted, I think that was the last one.

Frankly....it could have been a lot worse.

.....THAT WAS NOT A CHALLENGE. Just so we're clear.

Did you by chance see my explanation on some of the stuff in this movie? Understandable if it didnt make a huge difference, but I did want to explain my rationale.

9 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Frankly....it could have been a lot worse.

.....THAT WAS NOT A CHALLENGE. Just so we're clear.

Hide contents

Did you by chance see my explanation on some of the stuff in this movie? Understandable if it didnt make a huge difference, but I did want to explain my rationale.

I did. It's nice to see some context, but it didn't change my opinion much if at all.

• Like 1

I'm now going to address one film which has had a very split response among those who have read it so far, including myself. Y'all already know what it is, since I've already reviewed it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

In the Aeroplane over the Sea is still an A.

I stand by the grade I gave this film. I have seen the far more heated assessments of this, and regardless of what they say, I stand by it. This is not a slight against the people making those criticisms, rather that I am just planting my foot where I stand. The review is linked in the OP and it will be until I say otherwise, so if you want to know my exact points, go read it.

Now... when I made my original review, I sorta predicted that the end result wasn't going to please everyone, and was going to leave some people in an awkward place.  It ended up a little more extreme than I anticipated, but I'm not too surprised in the end.

I can see where every side of the issue is coming from, I just happen to find a justification for the elements critisized and had the film resonate with me as an experience more than as a straightforward narrative, even though it's both. A tiny concession I could give would be towards @Ethan Hunt's argument that the film isn't bold enough in certain areas, but that's a really minor gripe and has no effect on my overall opinion.

I’m going to disagree with @Rorschach saying that Mangum's bandmates should've done more to intervene, and I go back to what I said in my review that the impression I got was that his bandmates were either too polite or too unsure of what to make of Jeff's increasing delusions to take action, especially when Jeff didn't stop producing hit after hit until his mental state finally did him in. I personally feel the "if I were there, I would've done this" angle of media criticism is pretty hollow and relies on a context the film isn't built around, but again this is not a slight against anyone's opinion, I'm just responding with my assessment.

I will also vote for this film come Oscar time. I don't know if I'll be alone in doing that, but I will be doing it.

I know @SLAM! has been quick to concede with some of the more negative/polarized responses. I'm not even blaming him for that. This was a risk, and it hasn't paid off for everyone. He's free to take a step back in the future if he so chooses, but there is something to be said about creating a film with this level of polarization in its reception. This isn't a By the Balls or Bambi where there are outlier reviews while everyone else heaps praise, the response has genuinely been all across the board (as of yet) and since at least one other player is posting his list today I'd honestly love to hear his or anyone else's take on the matter.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, cookie said:

I'm now going to address one film which has had a very split response among those who have read it so far, including myself. Y'all already know what it is, since I've already reviewed it.

Reveal hidden contents

tenor.gif?itemid=3553882

Okay @SLAM! I havent re-read the film yet, and it's honestly been a good bit of time since I did, and I'm not sure how extensively you changed it.

I know I liked it a good bit, but knew that reception was going to be all over the place. It's something that, even as I let it wander the recesses of my mind, I still am not certain I was able to pin down.

I will hopefully be able to review it and churn out my Top 25 by next Sunday.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Okay @SLAM! I havent re-read the film yet, and it's honestly been a good bit of time since I did, and I'm not sure how extensively you changed it.

I know I liked it a good bit, but knew that reception was going to be all over the place. It's something that, even as I let it wander the recesses of my mind, I still am not certain I was able to pin down.

I will hopefully be able to review it and churn out my Top 25 by next Sunday.

Thank you Spaghetti! (I'm out of likes atm...)

It's finally time for the list, starting off with:

The Honorable Mentions

Here's the same gif for a third year in a row because I'm lazy:

ac8171a960a4572211f04304fc744474b09cdbbb

Only three honorable mentions this year and they all received a B/B- grade, so if you got a B- and expected to be on here, sorry, you're out of luck.

Spoiler

Green Arrow

Spoiler

Teyonnah and the Renegades

Spoiler

Walking With You

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2019 at 7:44 PM, cookie said:

Hired Guns

It's definitely a movie that relies on its star power to carry itself since I didn't find any of the crew that interesting as individual characters, though some are better than others. It's a pretty solidly crafted western as it is, but could've been more.

B/B-

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

It's finally time for the list, starting off with:

The Honorable Mentions

Here's the same gif for a third year in a row because I'm lazy:

ac8171a960a4572211f04304fc744474b09cdbbb

Only three honorable mentions this year and they all received a B/B- grade, so if you got a B- and expected to be on here, sorry, you're out of luck.

Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

Hmmm

Spoiler

Hired Guns (duh)

Spoiler

XJ9: Rebirth

Spoiler