cookie

Cookie Does Requests or Whatever (Cookie's Corner Y6) - Unlike Garfield, this thread doesn't hate Mondays

2 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Man you're breaking my heart with these early rewards. :(

I can promise you, however, that if the movie was too chaotic, the comics aren't a whole lot better for that regard. 

I would think it works better on the page than it would as a feature film narrative, at least in how it was translated, since comics have different expectations in regards to exposition and pacing.

Spoiler

And I’m not done breaking your heart just yet. Sorry.

1 minute ago, cookie said:

I would think it works better on the page than it would as a feature film narrative, at least in how it was translated, since comics have different expectations in regards to exposition and pacing.

Reveal hidden contents

Time to start the Razzie campaign for Sp4rk.

10 minutes ago, cookie said:

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly "Scott Pilgrim for kids" was kind of akin to the tone I was going for, so I definitely understand it not being everyone's cup of tea. The cartoonish animation also kind of sets a different expectation. I stand by it kind of gaining a cult following, though.

Please just try not to prolong my heartbreak. :whosad:

I do want to work more on other genres. I understand and accept that Thirsty could’ve been better and I think when 4.0 comes around I’ll get rid of the Scouts, but I’m at least glad for now it has positive reception, meaning I’m capable of telling a story outside my comfort genre. This is a good learning experience as Y7 I am to break out of my mold.

The That'll Do, Pig / Why You Gotta Do Them Like That awards for Best / Worst Use of a Cookie Stan

and the nominees for the worst are:

Letitia Wright in Teyonnah and the Renegades and Rapsittie Street Kids: A Bunny's Tale

Taissa Farmiga in Live2ream

Damien Lewis in XJ9: Rebirth

and the winner is...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Letitia Wright in Teyonnah and the Renegades and Rapsittie Street Kids: A Bunny's Tale

tumblr_p2kgxsItqs1qankmno1_500.gif

So not only did Wright's serious turn in Teyonnah underwhelm but Wright somehow appeared in the demon spawn that is Rapsittie Street Kids: A Bunny's Tale, in a major role no less, for reasons I'm going to assume involve the word "blackmail." Hasn't Tamara been through enough?!

I would've gone with the "I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed" gif, but I've already used it and this was clearly a very deliberate move, so instead you get a:

tenor.gif?itemid=4384164

and the nominees for the best are:

Jake T. Austin in Fiesta Loca

Naomi Scott in Forgiveness

Tessa Thompson in Paradise Island and Plus One

and the winner is:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Tessa Thompson in Paradise Island and Plus One

tenor.gif?itemid=12206920

Most of this award goes to her turn in Paradise Island, which I've already heaped praise for, but as an added bonus she gets to play a charming and quirky protagonist in one of the more likable romantic comedies to come out of the last six years. An Oscar nomination seems to be in safe hands.

Spoiler

I am aware that she technically was in Rapsittie Street Kids: A Bunny's Tale, but she wasn't part of the main cast unlike Letitia Wright, so:

4lRgWbk.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

That's the end of it, right?......right?

Prepare for some FINE redemption in Y8. This I promise.

We have * checks list * three more to go before the top 25, and one more after the main list is posted.

The Passive Bystander award for Lack of Ambition

and the nominees are:

God of War: Kingdom Come - Granted, the first three God of War games were far from storytelling masterpieces, but it seems like Endless Entertainment is resting its laurels on repetitive action scenes and lacking characterization to carry the trilogy limping to the finish line. One would hope that once it's time to adapt the reboot timeline more effort is put into giving it the treatment it deserves.

He-Man IV: The Sons of the Serpent - This isn't really directed at the film itself, though the recurring trend of this series to be more about Skeletor and his antics than He-Man himself is getting a little old, but rather the buzz surrounding the fifth film supposedly going to be an intentional ditch in the mud for reasons that evade me. Letting a fairly consistent franchise end like that, especially since this one had a decent wrap up so it might as well have been the end, is just... wuh?

Pikmin - The main goal of this film that's barely long enough to even qualify as a theatrical release is to bring the game to the silver screen without doing much else with it. Pikmin has never been one of Nintendo's major staples, but it has an interesting lore and storytelling potential that the filmmakers just don't tap into, playing it far too safe for anyone but the most undemanding of audiences to really get much out of.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Pikmin

HorribleUnknownHammerheadshark-size_rest

There's still time for He-Man to change plans and try to end the series on a high note, even if the fourth film did wrap things up in an okay fashion — or if that's unpreferable, maybe just stop here. God of War is still allowed another chance, especially since the Norse Gods arc is far more cinematic than its Greek predecessor.

Pikmin, while its richer sequel could be adapted into a more interesting followup, takes so few chances in its first outing that you wonder why they even bothered. Given how relatively ambitious Pokémon and Super Mario Bros. have been, and how ambitious Star Fox sounds and what I hope to accomplish with ZeldaPikmin proves to be the most literal and in consequence the least interesting Nintendo adaptation in CAYOM so far. One would hope New Journey Pictures, should a sequel get made, takes a hard look at the material and tries to create something more lasting out of it.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, cookie said:

God of War: Kingdom Come - Granted, the first three God of War games were far from storytelling masterpieces, but it seems like Endless Entertainment is resting its laurels on repetitive action scenes and lacking characterization to carry the trilogy limping to the finish line. One would hope that once it's time to adapt the reboot timeline more effort is put into giving it the treatment it deserves.

I wrote it mainly due to the fact it was either Y6 or never, and needing July tentpoles and second half tentpoles in general. I wasn’t that passionate and one could tell.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

The Almost Got 'Em award for You Could've Had it All

This award is reserved solely for those films that were snippets away from greatness (A-/B+ or above) but because of one major flaw each dropped down to a B+.

And the nominees are:

Borrasca - The film’s hard swerve finale just doesn't land with me as much as its creator hoped it would.

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. The Current Hollywood Landscape - A limited scope with the satire prevents the film from living up to its name.

Spark: A Hero's Promise - A bloated structure where newcomers take up too much space leaves limited air for veterans to satisfyingly wrap up their storylines.

Super Mario Bros. - Including an unnecessary extra act where important character arcs are resolved twice.

And the winner is:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Borrasca

giphy.gif

Super Mario Bros. was close to winning this, but I had to give the edge to Borassca. Everything was lining up so well for this to be up there with my favorites of @Rorschach's work, the likes of Bambi and Odyssey 2 in particular, but the ending just didn't do it for me. Rest assured that, even if the ending is underwhelming, Borassca is still a strong piece of work — with some deterring flaws.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

30 minutes ago, cookie said:

Pikmin

HorribleUnknownHammerheadshark-size_rest

Pikmin, while its richer sequel could be adapted into a more interesting followup, takes so few chances in its first outing that you wonder why they even bothered. Given how relatively ambitious Pokémon and Super Mario Bros. have been, and how ambitious Star Fox sounds and what I hope to accomplish with ZeldaPikmin proves to be the most literal and in consequence the least interesting Nintendo adaptation in CAYOM so far. One would hope New Journey Pictures, should a sequel get made, takes a hard look at the material and tries to create something more lasting out of it.

I was very literal... Definitely a valid criticism.