kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

I'm just trying to imagine how THG could have a 2.7 plus multiplier in March, without summer midweeks. But I've seen all the tracking and I've never seen a non-sequel track this well into its open. I also wonder if the lack of comp is clearing out its audience and it will be frontloaded, but it's playing so strong right now across demos. My gut feeling is this goes past 400, but it's so crazy to predict that.

Holy fuck, there's some stupid post being made in this thread. Lay off the crack people. THG isn't even one of the top 15-20 box office runs of all time. Too many people are getting caught up in the hype.

Please, name those 15-20 films with more impressive reasons and back it up. <_< A non sequel reaching these numbers in March is definitely top 5.

Holy fuck, there's some stupid post being made in this thread. Lay off the crack people. THG isn't even one of the top 15-20 box office runs of all time. Too many people are getting caught up in the hype.

It's a matter of opinion. What I consider to be the best, you could consider to be the worst.

I'm just trying to imagine how THG could have a 2.7 plus multiplier in March, without summer midweeks. But I've seen all the tracking and I've never seen a non-sequel track this well into its open. I also wonder if the lack of comp is clearing out its audience and it will be frontloaded, but it's playing so strong right now across demos. My gut feeling is this goes past 400, but it's so crazy to predict that.

It has Easter in its third week and some schools get the whole week off.

DH2 had summer weekdays

True, but summer weekdays also lead to harder weekend drops. Alice managed a 2.96 non-midnight multiplier with a March opening. With 155, this needs only a 2.79 to hit 400 million.

The opening is certainly one of the most impressive of all time but the total won't be. That's just going overboard. I don't think we can justify 400M+ predictions yet.

Edited by Magic

Heading for 450m+ I think, as long as the saturday increase and WOM are strong.

I don't want to jump the gun here, but props for your high-end prediction. My gut told me that if you were on to something with this, it would more than likely happen. However, the BOM/BOT community tends to be more conservative with EVERYTHING, and I think that brought out the skeptic in me (though I did predict 142/363).
  • Like 1

The opening is certainly one of the most impressive of all time but the total won't be. That's just going overboard. I don't think we can justify 400M+ predictions yet.

No one's predicting 400M. A guy asked what this would finish with if it opened between 150-160, and we're just answering that. Without Saturday numbers its still hard to tell where this will land, even for the weekend.

Please, name those 15-20 films with more impressive reasons and back it up. <_< A non sequel reaching these numbers in March is definitely top 5.

1. The Dark Knight2. Jaws3. The Lion King4. Batman 895. Star Wars6. Forrest Gump7. Jurassic Park8. Independence Day9. Spiderman10. Avatar11. Raiders of the Lost Ark12. Titanic13. Gone with the Wind14. 101 Dalmatians15. Episode 1:The Phantom MenaceI can go on if you'd like me too.

I don't want to jump the gun here, but props for your high-end prediction. My gut told me that if you were on to something with this, it would more than likely happen. However, the BOM/BOT community tends to be more conservative with EVERYTHING, and I think that brought out the skeptic in me (though I did predict 142/363).

I think that's because 2010 and 2011 were such shitty years everybody started setting expectations lower to not be as disappointed.

True, but summer weekdays also lead to harder weekend drops. Alice managed a 2.96 non-midnight multiplier with a March opening. With 155, this needs only a 2.79 to hit 400 million.

This has been talked about amongst people I know. Squeezing the midweeks funnels audiences into the weekends. The downside of that is usually the comp (death in the summer) But THG, like AIW, doesn't have great comp in the coming weeks. So it makes me think it could play stronger weeks into its run (although admittedly, AIW had a great setup -- Green Zone in wk 2, then Wimpy and BHunter in Wk 3, whereas THG has Wrath and Titanic/Reunion)

It has Easter in its third week and some schools get the whole week off.

And there's still staggered spring break for the second weekend, and possibly for more weekends to help soften the blow.

Your hostile attitude kinda sucks man. Can you possibly cut the swearing out of your posts?
  • Like 1

1. The Dark Knight2. Jaws3. The Lion King4. Batman 895. Star Wars6. Forrest Gump7. Jurassic Park8. Independence Day9. Spiderman10. Avatar11. Raiders of the Lost Ark12. Titanic13. Gone with the Wind14. 101 Dalmatians15. Episode 1:The Phantom MenaceI can go on if you'd like me too.

We don't know THG's total yet so we can't compare that but THG's opening weekend is far more impressive than most movies on that list. I'd say it's tied with Spider-Man as the most impressive OW.