Eric Deetz

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

Just now, SpiderByte said:

True but especially so specifically after this past weekend

Oh sure, but that will happen when there is a club pitting the two against each other. 

I watched and enjoyed Barbie and I'm going to watch and hopefully enjoy The Marvels 🤷‍♂️

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

CGI on she hulk was terrible though just not CW terrible. With a 225m budget it should have looked way better considering it had less action scenes and she hulk was used sparingly . 

TSS was made on 200m budget and looks great. Just look at king shark.

She-Hulk is around 4.5 hours, over twice as long as TSS. As far as I can remember, She-Hulk was in every episode. Action is pointless to bring up as it's not like action CGI costs more than regular CGI. There's a reason CW Arrowverse shows would put in a big CGI character but limit them to 1, maybe 2 episodes. And even then, they rarely looked anything but laughable (trust me, I ACTUALLY watched all the shows). 

I get people complaints about CGI, yes most of these movies are rushing VFX artists and we don't get CGI as good as it can possibly be. But also, there's only so much you can do when you're doing completely unreal things. It might ALWAYS look a little weird, because it IS a little weird. (Even Avatar 2 had its moments of... underwhelming CGI)

• Thanks 1

Just now, ChipDerby said:

She-Hulk is around 4.5 hours, over twice as long as TSS. As far as I can remember, She-Hulk was in every episode. Action is pointless to bring up as it's not like action CGI costs more than regular CGI. There's a reason CW Arrowverse shows would put in a big CGI character but limit them to 1, maybe 2 episodes. And even then, they rarely looked anything but laughable (trust me, I ACTUALLY watched all the shows). 

I get people complaints about CGI, yes most of these movies are rushing VFX artists and we don't get CGI as good as it can possibly be. But also, there's only so much you can do when you're doing completely unreal things. It might ALWAYS look a little weird, because it IS a little weird. (Even Avatar 2 had its moments of... underwhelming CGI)

I think that She-Hulk’s and Hulk’s VFX on the She-Hulk show are some of the most impressive shit they did at a technical level with the MCU shows. I don’t know what people are talking about, that it’s as good as the best VFX on the blockbuster genre. I don’t understand people seeing uncanny valley with that and not with Avatar for example. It doesn’t make sense to me.

Yeah, She-Hulk is a show that had multiple motion capture animated CGI characters. Most shows have...zero of those. And there were far fewer complaints about Bruce's CGI, mainly probably because of his design. Hulk is more monstrous in proportion where She-Hulk is much closer to a regular person who's just 8 feet tall. I think that was a bigger factor, because in a technical sense it wasn't any different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah, She-Hulk is a show that had multiple motion capture animated CGI characters. Most shows have...zero of those. And there were far fewer complaints about Bruce's CGI, mainly probably because of his design. Hulk is more monstrous in proportion where She-Hulk is much closer to a regular person who's just 8 feet tall. I think that was a bigger factor, because in a technical sense it wasn't any different.

As a long time fan of her from the comics (also my og child crush) I couldn’t be more pleased.

2 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Oh sure, but that will happen when there is a club pitting the two against each other. 

That club is pointless now considering Barbie DOM looks to beat EVERY MCU MOVIE other than 3 Avengers films*, BP and NWH.

*with a miniscule chance of beating even the 2012 film

• Like 2

She hulk vfx ranges from acceptable to plain bad, the fact that it's long and she has to appear often is an explanation of why it is such but it doesn't make the quality of the effects any better.

Avatar2 is on such a different league visually that I don't even know why it gets brought up here, the time and care put into that film is not something an MCU film can reach regardless since no MCU film will get that level of post-production and no director the MCU can hire will know as much about CGI and how to film around it as Cameron anyway.

I think the MCU largely needs their vfx culture to reduce reliance on cgi when possible, stuff like AntMan 3 doing scenes where the vfx artists end up having to make scott move a certain way because they didn't film the scene properly is unacceptable for example.

That said I think this film looks more on the acceptable side of things, it doesn't look as bad as antman.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

I watched and enjoyed Barbie and I'm going to watch and hopefully enjoy The Marvels 🤷‍♂️

That is why I ignore the clubs here, and think they actually get in the way of intelligent box office discussion.

4 hours ago, JustLurking said:

She hulk vfx ranges from acceptable to plain bad, the fact that it's long and she has to appear often is an explanation of why it is such but it doesn't make the quality of the effects any better.

Avatar2 is on such a different league visually that I don't even know why it gets brought up here, the time and care put into that film is not something an MCU film can reach regardless since no MCU film will get that level of post-production and no director the MCU can hire will know as much about CGI and how to film around it as Cameron anyway.

I think the MCU largely needs their vfx culture to reduce reliance on cgi when possible, stuff like AntMan 3 doing scenes where the vfx artists end up having to make scott move a certain way because they didn't film the scene properly is unacceptable for example.

That said I think this film looks more on the acceptable side of things, it doesn't look as bad as antman.

I wish they had put as much care and effort in the screeplay for Avatar 2 as they did into the visuals.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

There is also that She Hulk has to resemble Jennifer more then the Hulk resembels Bruce Banner and that She Hulk actually has to be attractive. That posed some challenges.

I’ve been thinking about The Marvels release date with all these rumors among other films about delaying to 2024. I think the odds of happening are incredibly slim, but they exist. I kinda agree with this below, other than thinking that if they are moving, the no-brainer new date would be March 8th, 2024. Just like back in 2019 when Captain Marvel was released in March 8th, 2019, International Women’s Day happens on a Friday next year.

Action is pointless to bring up as it's not like action CGI costs more than regular CGI

I'd go the opposite direction: CGI action is completely unavoidable and the show's larger CGI problem is that She-Hulk's normal scenes clearly look off

She-Hulk could have easily been significantly cheaper by reducing non-action CGI by giving Maslani more scenes outside of the uncanny valley CGI body and make it easier to just accept or reject level of CGI without having it being a constant wound that's also hurting the ability to maximize your star's acting talents (imagine nuts and bolts of blocking and acting are different due to knowledge she's going to be warped into an 8 foot tall giant after the fact. 

Cheaper looking effects can look better if you have stronger audience buy-in, 

30 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

This is now being sold as this month’s Happy Meals. Like I know there were likely issues from the last minute delay, but I just saw it while getting my breakfast and I got a chuckle out of it.

Last minute? The delay to November was announced in February.

I wonder if this is also up for a strike delay, or if the new trailer is a sign they're still confident in putting this one in November even with a strike disrupting promotion.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Last minute? The delay to November was announced in February.

Think he meant that the promo for Mc Donalds was already set in stone and couldnt change

Those things are scheluded wayyy ahead of time

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Well after Secret Invasion this has to clear a very low bar in order to be better 

🙏🏿Praying DeCosta does justice to Monica and not pull a FaTWS and SI🙏🏿

Coogler can’t be the only creative in the MCU who can cook with black characters.

3 hours ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

This is now being sold as this month’s Happy Meals. Like I know there were likely issues from the last minute delay, but I just saw it while getting my breakfast and I got a chuckle out of it.

My kids already have 2 of the toys! (Carol and Goose)

• Heart 1