The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

9 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

1 million for every minute. If this works critically and commercially then good for the director else she will be lambasted and become persona non grata among fanboy community. This honestly needed a better director. Her candy man remake wasn't all that interesting.

Nope, this is a budget of just 2 months of filming (from August 2021 to September 30, 2021); filming and post-production of the movie continued for another 12 months. The final budget would be higher than this.

3 hours ago, Willowra said:

“for women-led superhero films, as long as the quality stays up, that’s what’s gonna keep the audience coming back.”

Nia seems very confident about The Marvels quality

As opposed to...what, saying "my film is shit, butchered in editing because it was an unsalvageable mess?"

Considering most people have no idea who Kamala Khan even is, a short runtime is concerning because it means either character work will suffer, pacing will be off (Venom 2 was like that - it just got to the third act and it honestly felt like 20 pages of the script were missing or condensed), set pieces are smaller, etc. There are definitely reasons to be concerned.

That said, if it isn't a complete train wreck, and it's still got a coherent story and characters, the short runtime might be seen as a positive by critics.

Meh...think I'll stay away from this thread till it comes out. There will be too much exhausting back and forth. Not long to go now and we'll see what turns out.

• Like 4

Whether it's under 2 hrs or not. 

But is it good or be well received that's what matters because this doesn't have much going for it.

Nov is also not a good month for legs 

due to really low and muted weekdays

WF with A CS even with boosted holidays still did only 2.5*.

Guardians  3 situation can happen too if OW is really muted and reception is very strong.

5 hours ago, Squire said:

Good or bad, I still don’t see how this movie makes less than $600M WW. 

Maybe it captures that female audience again and pulls through but I think the rebrand of 'Captain Marvel' to 'The Marvels' is going to seriously hurt its BO numbers. Its just a bizarre decision that I hope they correct before it releases.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sckathian said:

Maybe it captures that female audience again and pulls through but I think the rebrand of 'Captain Marvel' to 'The Marvels' is going to seriously hurt its BO numbers. Its just a bizarre decision that I hope they correct before it releases.

Captain marvel was never really a female driven film in the first place . The ratio was 55-45% in favor of men.

Both the first movie and the  marvels trailer have just failed to market it that way and emphasize that hook.

36 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Captain marvel was never really a female driven film in the first place . The ratio was 55-45% in favor of men.

Both the first movie and the  marvels trailer have just failed to market it that way and emphasize that hook.

Ppl bring this up as if the female share is something to sneeze at. Due to how big Captain Marvel was, the number of women who watched it WW was more than Wonder Woman despite the latter being more female-driven.

Also, Nick Fury is still playing a prominent role in this like he did in the first. If he's not enough then maybe the men not coming back wouldn't have related to CM anyway and just watched the first one because it was mandatory viewing for Endgame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:
5 hours ago, Willowra said:

As opposed to...what, saying "my film is shit, butchered in editing because it was an unsalvageable mess?"

Considering most people have no idea who Kamala Khan even is, a short runtime is concerning because it means either character work will suffer, pacing will be off (Venom 2 was like that - it just got to the third act and it honestly felt like 20 pages of the script were missing or condensed), set pieces are smaller, etc. There are definitely reasons to be concerned

As hard as it is for people to realize, there are movies where zero people know who the characters are before the movie releases. It's called "most movies ever released"

A short runtime is hardly a death sentence. The first Deadpool is a similar length.

Edited by SpiderByte

58 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Ppl bring this up as if the female share is something to sneeze at. Due to how big Captain Marvel was, the number of women who watched it WW was more than Wonder Woman despite the latter being more female-driven.

Also, Nick Fury is still playing a prominent role in this like he did in the first. If he's not enough then maybe the men not coming back wouldn't have related to CM anyway and just watched the first one because it was mandatory viewing for Endgame.

Males don't have to relate to the woman that turns into a living missile. They will be there for the cool MCU action movie.

Bonus points for three female leads to attract a bigger female audience. If it's good it should get some good legs.

Meanwhile the sexist trolls failed to tank the first CM, and they failed to stop Barbie from being a hit. They are jokes at this point.

Edited by Mojoguy

None of this is confirmed, yet, officially. some of you are really working yourselves into tizzy, over things that you don’t know, are true, and things that you cannot control.

• Like 2

Cap
This post was recognized by Cap!

Mojoguy was awarded the badge 'Great Content'

14 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

How long till one of these Critical Drinker types makes a thing like "Marvel cut down The Marvels from 3 hours because it was THE WORST MOVIE OF ALL TIME" type shit 

Best to just ignore those sexist losers and not give them clicks.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

As hard as it is for people to realize, there are movies where zero people know who the characters are before the movie releases. It's called "most movies ever released"

A short runtime is hardly a death sentence. The first Deadpool is a similar length.

Cool. How bout you work on your reading comprehension? My point is that no one knows Kamala and if the movie is short there is a good chance they won't have time to develop her. You giving Deadpool as an example isn't reassuring, because that's incredibly shallow and weak story-telling, held up by its "a joke every ten second" approach and hard R action (which works well with the comedy). It's definitely a fun movie, but not the standard I'd be aiming for. As I said though, it's not NECESSARILY indicative of anything bad, but the chances are high of it missing ingredients to make it good (good pacing, character development, satisfying action in good balance with story and dialogue etc). Maybe they will have this be far more a comedy then, in which case a breezy pace and tone will not be an issue. That's why I said I'm happy to wait and see - but maybe you shouldn't be so dismissive of people who point out realistic concerns. You're no better by simply ignoring any  concerns and lumping everyone in as sexist.

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Cool. How bout you work on your reading comprehension? My point is that no one knows Kamala and if the movie is short there is a good chance they won't have time to develop her.

I don't really know why you think there's not enough time. Kamala doesnt need a ludicrously convoluted plot in order to be important. She's a superhero fangirl who became a superhero and is meeting her idol for the first time. There, you're caught up on everything important about her backstory that's related to this movie.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Cool. How bout you work on your reading comprehension? My point is that no one knows Kamala and if the movie is short there is a good chance they won't have time to develop her. You giving Deadpool as an example isn't reassuring, because that's incredibly shallow and weak story-telling, held up by its "a joke every ten second" approach and hard R action (which works well with the comedy). It's definitely a fun movie, but not the standard I'd be aiming for. As I said though, it's not NECESSARILY indicative of anything bad, but the chances are high of it missing ingredients to make it good (good pacing, character development, satisfying action in good balance with story and dialogue etc). Maybe they will have this be far more a comedy then, in which case a breezy pace and tone will not be an issue. That's why I said I'm happy to wait and see - but maybe you shouldn't be so dismissive of people who point out realistic concerns. You're no better by simply ignoring any  concerns and lumping everyone in as sexist.

The character that actually needs development is Carol Danvers; Kamala had a 5-hour-long TV series in phase 4.

Edited by Willowra

7 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Also, I haven't seen Morbius but from what everyone says, it's INCREDIBLY clear that film was significantly meddled with in an attempt to solve the film's  poor reception/execution.

Studios would clearly rather try and salvage/sell a new slimed down bad 100 minute movie than a bad 135 minute movie they already "know" is bad. 

Yes, there is a scene in Morbius that jumps so far to the next, it's like WTF?  They obviously cut a bunch between the 2.

Going on what Cap said, the best comedy of all time is 1 hour 36 minutes, so if they've gone full comedy, they probably have the right length, if not the right cast (I think Ms Marvel is fine, but the rest for straight comedy - I dunno)...

(And of course, you all knew the best comedy is Clue)...

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't really know why you think there's not enough time. Kamala doesnt need a ludicrously convoluted plot in order to be important. She's a superhero fangirl who became a superhero and is meeting her idol for the first time. There, you're caught up on everything important about her backstory that's related to this movie.

I swear some here think GA just laps up everything always.  Sure maybe SW and jurrassic franchise due to their heavy nostalgia appeal.

But the MCU . Phase 4 was enough to get the  pitchforks  out

Just saying she is a fangirl and meeting her idol is just an oversimplification and that is not enough backstory IMO.

Personally if the movie is short as 90 mins . Best thing I hope they did was focus on the  current chemistry between the three and the movie is fun . Delving too much into backstory with that short runtime will probably just convolute the movie . 

I even don't think getting us caught on everything important about Kamala and Monica is the most paramount but it's making us care about them and even phase 4 and 5 have had  some issues with that.