Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

32 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Is there any reason why you're choosing now to draw the line? Has the MCU done something since the great GOTG3 to drive you away? Seems odd to do it now.

Because as I said, pretty much all the films since endgame have been weak. Black Widow, Eternals, Thor 4, Ant Man, Black Panther 2, Doctor Strange 2, have all been utterly uninteresting. I have been putting up with these films getting progressively worse and after Quantumania I decided I was finally done with the MCU. I love my Guardians so I watched GOTG3 and left thinking, "That was great, a great way to end the MCU for me." I feel like I can move on from MCU after GOTG ended.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

The Scorsese discourse combined with the "anti-woke" Brie Larson antis means no matter what the reviews or box office is this will be the worst online discourse probably since The Last Jedi

I mean, if that happens, this would be a box office train wreck. It already has enough going against it, TLJ level discourse on the movie would probably give us like a 2x multi or worse. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean, if that happens, this would be a box office train wreck. It already has enough going against it, TLJ level discourse on the movie would probably give us like a 2x multi or worse. 

...do you think TLJ didn't make money? People are already bitching now, people getting randomly outraged will not change that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

...do you think TLJ didn't make money? People are already bitching now, people getting randomly outraged will not change that.

Lol, it had the second biggest OW of all time, of course it made money. The WOM and legs are a well known train wreck for a prime holiday blockbuster. Marvels is already struggling to get any kind of respectable OW as it is. TLJ WOM might give us a sub 100 DOM disaster. 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, SpiderByte said:

One thing has been consistent recently and it's over-indexing female audiences.

This really has not been the case. The only recent female audience-based movie that broke out hugely was Barbie. We saw earlier this year, TLM did lower than most predicted, as it is the lowest-grossing Renaissance live-action remake.

Barbie was fresh, creative, isn't a copy and paste of a superior movie, and isn't the 40th entry in some franchise (ie no homework required), which is why it became the biggest cultural event movie for women this century.

You can't expect any movie to repeat the phenomenon, particularly one that is just more of the same.

i do think there´ll be a sizeable drop for a lot of different factors, including some things that isn´t even about this movie and more about the genre 

but beyond that the expectations for a disaster of colossal proportions are completely based on nothing ... trailer stats seems normal, not rumours of a quality disaster, less competition now + IMAX without Dune, and a totally common marketing campaign ... literally nothing suggesting a drop from 1.1B to 250M 

and it´s hard to argue this will have a worse WOM than something like Quantumania that was selled as a very relevant chapter of something bigger, while The Marvels is being promoted as a standard movie without huge expectations about setting up the future 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

This really has not been the case. The only recent female audience-based movie that broke out hugely was Barbie. We saw earlier this year, TLM did lower than most predicted, as it is the lowest-grossing Renaissance live-action remake.

Barbie was fresh, creative, isn't a copy and paste of a superior movie, and isn't the 40th entry in some franchise (ie no homework required), which is why it became the biggest cultural event movie for women this century.

You can't expect any movie to repeat the phenomenon, particularly one that is just more of the same.

Have you just....have you just not seen any of the news about Taylor Swift? The concert movie that will have an opening comparable to the exact movie you are describing now?

Edit: also, saying there's never been a Barbie movie before now is...proof you don't have sisters or daughters. Especially since you said there aren't 40+...when the live action one is the 42nd.

Edit: 43rd actually, another one came out this year two months before the live action one.

Edited by SpiderByte

5 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

TLM did lower than most predicted, as it is the lowest-grossing Renaissance 

that´s also the case for the animated movie which was also DOM heavy

we´ll never know but it´s quite possible the room for a much bigger gross for the remake simply wasn´t there from the beginning 

there´s no correlation between The Marvels and Little Mermaid 

Edited by ThomasNicole

54 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Because as I said, pretty much all the films since endgame have been weak. Black Widow, Eternals, Thor 4, Ant Man, Black Panther 2, Doctor Strange 2, have all been utterly uninteresting. I have been putting up with these films getting progressively worse and after Quantumania I decided I was finally done with the MCU. I love my Guardians so I watched GOTG3 and left thinking, "That was great, a great way to end the MCU for me." I feel like I can move on from MCU after GOTG ended.

But why even see Quantumania then? You didn't like 6 films in a row and still decided to see it. Just weird that NOW is when you're choosing to drop out.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

We can ease up on this movie being a "TLJ situation" or whatever, because that is literally impossible. 

Based on ya'll's rules, it can't be divisive if nobody cares about it right?

It can be bad and do a Quantumania though.

Lol I was gonna say TLJ can’t really happen though since you need a huge audience for that situation… 

41 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

Dude, presales haven’t started. 

Pre sales are unlikely to tell us a lot given the core fan rush for MCU. People were predicting QM could touch Multiverse of Madness OW based on pre-sales (lmao) and we know how that turned out. The only thing pre-sales might tell us is if they’re outright bad, then we know for sure this is headed to an absolutely disaster OW.