Eric the Minion

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

On 10/14/2023 at 10:42 AM, TwoMisfits said:

Blade canceled in full.

Why are people acting like Blade isn't an iconic character with loads of potential? Someone said he's a D character, what the actual fuck? Snipes' Blade is fucking iconic, there's so much potential there!

Also, someone said they wanted less super-connected to the MCU characters, and afaik the Blade story they wanna tell would be in the past, so very disconnected from the rest.

I honestly don't see how The Marvels flopping would affect such project. This is getting made eventually.

On 10/14/2023 at 8:11 PM, Sckathian said:

I think this is a problem for MCU. A lot of directors really don’t want to work with them and you have some intern dictating how a scene should be because the CG team needed to start work before production.

This is not talked about enough! The shitty way they treat their VFX teams with horrible deadlines actually affects the whole process by taking freedom away from their directors.

On 10/14/2023 at 8:48 PM, BOfficeStats said:

I think there are 3 big reasons why.

1.  Expectations were not incredibly high until 2018.  Before the MCU there weren't any previous blockbuster films based on MCU characters (excluding Spider-Man) and there were 0 crossovers with other universes. This helped keep expectations down since people didn't have much to compare it to besides DC films, Fox X-Men films, and Sony live-action Spider-Man films which were all struggling by 2014-2016.  It seemed like the MCU just kept getting better and better while their competition kept disappointing. 

Uhm, your point is interesting but Days of Future Past came out in 2014 and Logan came out in 2017.

3 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Marvel blaming Brie rather than themselves is insane and pathetic. 

This is all really sad, although it wasn't someone connected directly to Marvel who said all that.

2 hours ago, Reed121 said:

A main character of what. A Wanda movie would flop. 
They need to reboot. They’re introducing the Fantastic 4 but they killed T’Challa whose first appearance was in the Fantastic 4 and has a bunch of stories with them. Stupid.
They’ve made poor choices which can only be rectified with a reboot.

Wandavision was a big success and she is a very interesting character. I mean we spent more time on her than in Doctor Strange's movie.

Also what is the general consensus here on why Doctor Strange made so much more money than the previous installment. With better legs it could have done a billion

18 minutes ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

Wandavision was a big success and she is a very interesting character. I mean we spent more time on her than in Doctor Strange's movie. 

Also what is the general consensus here on why Doctor Strange made so much more money than the previous installment. With better legs it could have done a billion

Idk what the consensus is,  but I wouldn't have cared about his sequel at all if it wasn't for Wanda. 

Is it horrible that I think they should just use the Loki show to kill off Kang? The character hasn't done well in the movie it appeared, but has done well in the show, plus the actor is problematic right now, he barely even showed up in the promotional material of Loki S2.

They could literally just kill him off during that show and skip that Avengers movie directly to the next one. Quantumania plus legal trouble has really soured the character.

From what I can see, legal troubles only stick to people who aren't talented. If you're a man and good at what you do, you can likely stay quiet for a bit and pick up where you left off. I suspect there are a decent number of people who would overlook the situation with majors if he's good in season 2 of Loki.

Hell, I think the stuff with Ezra Miller only became a problem for the studio because they just kept doing crazy shit in quick succession. I remember despite them choke slamming someone ON VIDEO, general discourse didn't turn to to "ok we might have a problem" for several months.

6 hours ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

I think Shang chi is the most forgettable movie they released during phase 4 tho

Yes but you still have to build on stuff. What’s the point in creating character dynamics only for them not to appear for 6/7 years? They are missing a main lineup but are also not building on it at all.

2 hours ago, boxoff53 said:

There are people who don't care for her for reasons other than right wing nonsense. For myself, there's just something very lacking in charisma with her.  Can't really put my finger on it.  Sometimes people just rub people the wrong way despite what they actually do... I've met several people who just instantly did not like me despite never speaking to me or interacting with me previously at all. 

I think there was a lot going against her. Brie had to do her Avengers stuff before Captain Marvel was in production - now an actor should be able to manage that but she is still being dropped in and given very stilted lines which leads to a stilted performance.

Shes much better in Captain Marvel but again she’s got a lot to manage, false memories etc. She only really becomes Captain Marvel at the end of the film - which is very unusual in an origin film. So she should be able to perform better but she’s hampered in a way none of the other characters are. 

From what a I understand of this film it’s not going to help in the character department. Marvel just seem a mess.

MCU has wasted all its female characters so far. Black Widow was not given a movie until after she died. Wanda was given the most nonsensical motivations ever in MoM, butchering her character. Captain Marvel is written in the most boring way possible and had a 5-minute screentime nothing burger role in Endgame.

Let's hope they do better with X-Men, as so far the female characters have been handled very badly. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

One of the issues with the movie is it is not clear what the stakes are here. You watch the first trailer of NWH and it's obvious what happening there: Peter screws up the multiverse, bringing in past characters from previous Spidey movies. Even the trailer for Thor 4, Wakanda make it obvious.

I watched both trailers and I still have no idea what the stakes are here, or who's the villain. The only thing being mentioned constantly is the location-swapping ability, which is not nearly enough to carry a movie on it's own. And is not all that interesting TBH.

And bringing in 2 Disney+ sidekicks is one hell of a choice, considering the MCU is feeling very disjointed right now, with no clear characters being focused on. If this was a movie where Captain Marvel teams up with another actual important character it would do a lot better.

• Like 3

Yeah I’m not at the “current MCU is dead, time for reboot” stage. Phase 6 can really turn things around and I’m still expecting big numbers from secret wars (Kang Dysnasty is a bit worrisome though). Phase 1 and 2 weren’t always consistent and phase 3 went on to produce the most impressive 3 year run in box office history. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

One of the issues with the movie is it is not clear what the stakes are here. You watch the first trailer of NWH and it's obvious what happening there: Peter screws up the multiverse, bringing in past characters from previous Spidey movies. Even the trailer for Thor 4, Wakanda make it obvious.

I watched both trailers and I still have no idea what the stakes are here, or who's the villain. The only thing being mentioned constantly is the location-swapping ability, which is not nearly enough to carry a movie on it's own. And is not all that interesting TBH.

And bringing in 2 Disney+ sidekicks is one hell of a choice, considering the MCU is feeling very disjointed right now, with no clear characters being focused on. If this was a movie where Captain Marvel teams up with another actual important character it would do a lot better.

The Marvels has no draw. NWH, MoM and Deadpool have/had the event-cameo draw. Love and thunder had the legacy draw. Guardians of the galaxy had the team as a draw. Antman had the Kang/multiverse war as a draw. 

The Marvels just feels like skippable Disney+ filler  

• Like 1

Problem with Captain Marvel is not Captain Marvel, it's Carol Denvers. Captain Marvel is a persona, Carol Denvers is a person. That's the issue with most of Phase 4.

MCU Infinity Saga was so successful because people used to come for Iron Man or Captain America, but they used to stay for Tony Stark & Steve Rogers.

Same for most of the characters, this is what gives the context to Iron Man or Captain America and all that action & explosions. It was all so personal, and people connected with it.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

That's what makes a person in costume doing action different to another person in costume doing action.

Make people care about the person, then they'll react to even a single punch thrown by the persona.

If people don't care about the person, they won't care if the persona can blow away an army single-handedly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

The Marvels has no draw. NWH, MoM and Deadpool have/had the event-cameo draw. Love and thunder had the legacy draw. Guardians of the galaxy had the team as a draw. Antman had the Kang/multiverse war as a draw. 

The Marvels just feels like skippable Disney+ filler  

I mean, "here's the first sequel to that hit movie you love, let's see more adventures from these characters" is inherently "a draw." That's basically the only draw of the 2019 Jumanji movie.