Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

I think aquaman really benefited from Xmas

Looking back many mega blockbusters have overperformed over xmas who likely would not have made as much in other parts of the year i feel.

That why I feel the new Aquaman movie can do 700 million even after a shitty start as a lot of people just want to watch a movie over the holidays and have 4-5 days off. 

11 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Her direction was pretty much all I liked about Candyman. It really is a shame how marvel don't let these creative voices fly unless it's a specific case, but I guess that's just their mo for uniformity. I don't agree with it given its a very TV method but that's their decision, and I highly doubt much is going to sway them from it. 

They cover this topic a bit in the book MCU: The Reign of Marvel Studios that came out a few weeks ago. What's interesting is that they pretty much leave directors alone for all of principal photography. It's during post-production when they get more heavily involved (so no big shock that DaCosta has described post-production as the most difficult part and has maybe stepped back from it at this point). As for the VFX and action stuff, the director can be more or less involved in that part depending on their own preferences and comfort. James Gunn and Chloe Zhao are examples of directors who dived in deep on that side of things. Taiki Waititi was their example of a director with less interest in being involved in those elements.

It is like boarding a moving train though. Marvel usually has a concept in place, some version of a script (probably still in flux), and a lot of visual development done before a director steps on board. It's how they're able to get these movies finished in a timely manner with inexperienced directors.

Edited by ZeroHour
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2023 at 10:23 AM, keysersoze123 said:

Interesting stuff in the article is 250m budget and that June screening in TX had middling reviews. Normally that would have led to further reshoots but there was no time. But they did reedit based on rumors and that is how movie is now shorter than what was originally written. 

I told you all, I attended the June 14th screening in Dallas. The movie received middling reviews because it was very "middle-of-the-road".

AND they only invited people who were big marvel fans because the questionaire we had to fill out asked if we had seen a list of movies that were mostly MCU movies with a few DC movies. when I signed up i got approved for the screening, I opened another account and tried to sign up but only clicked "having seen two" of the movies on the list and i was not approved, so they really were only wanting MCU/CBM fans to attend this screening, and the movie didnt really hit much with anyone save for a few moments here and there

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shindaya said:

I told you all, I attended the June 14th screening in Dallas. The movie received middling reviews because it was very "middle-of-the-road".

AND they only invited people who were big marvel fans because the questionaire we had to fill out asked if we had seen a list of movies that were mostly MCU movies with a few DC movies. when I signed up i got approved for the screening, I opened another account and tried to sign up but only clicked "having seen two" of the movies on the list and i was not approved, so they really were only wanting MCU/CBM fans to attend this screening, and the movie didnt really hit much with anyone save for a few moments here and there

I was skeptical of your claims because people fake things for clout on the interwebs but obviously you were being truthful. Not a good sign when hardcore MCU fans believe that an MCU film is middling. Of course test screenings are just test screenings. The public at large could enjoy it more or they could not. We have to wait and see. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shindaya said:

It couldn't even get good test screening results from MCU superfans? Yikes. Disaster incoming. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

I mean we’ll never know if it’s true, but this member did say they saw the movie in Dallas back in June 2 days before the Variety article dropped the info the Marvel DID a public test screening in Texas back in June

I genuinely don’t see the point in just keep putting this person credibility in check every single time they post something you don’t like

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Yes who could doubt this poster who only recently joined who has only posted about how bad The Marvels is as anything but ironclad trustworthy and not at all just a troll

They didn't say it was bad, just middle of the road/meh. If they were a troll they would have said something more hyperbolic, but they didn't.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean we’ll never know if it’s true, but this member did say they saw the movie in Dallas back in June 2 days before the Variety article dropped the info the Marvel DID a public test screening in Texas back in June

Funny, because I just searched their posts and they definitely didn't mention a specific location of the screening once until after the Variety article said it was Texas.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Funny, because I just searched their posts and they definitely didn't mention a specific location of the screening once until after the Variety article said it was Texas.

Maybe not location, but they did mention it was in June which AFAIK didn't become public knowledge until Variety mentioned it in their article a few days ago.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Shindaya said:

Do you think cutting down the time is just to up the pace or are there threads/scenes that were more damaging than beneficial to the film?

39 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yes who could doubt this poster who only recently joined who has only posted about how bad The Marvels is as anything but ironclad trustworthy and not at all just a troll

the mods already warned you guys about putting that poster through the 3rd degree. FWIW I believe them now because they knew details before it got confirmed later like what month the screening was and who was in the post credit scene.

Edited to add that I won't comment on this any further as I'm just now seeing Eric just posted.

Edited by eddyxx

Just by the nature of a studio choosing who is allowed to see a movie early, I find that positive test screenings usually mean nothing, but negative test screenings are more often than not the sign of a sub-par movie, especially for a mass appeal blockbuster. Obviously not saying The Marvels is guaranteed to be bad but I rarely ever see (reliable) reports of bad test screenings turn out to be completely off the mark.

2 minutes ago, judestar619 said:

Just by the nature of a studio choosing who is allowed to see a movie early, I find that positive test screenings usually mean nothing, but negative test screenings are more often than not the sign of a sub-par movie, especially for a mass appeal blockbuster. Obviously not saying The Marvels is guaranteed to be bad but I rarely ever see (reliable) reports of bad test screenings turn out to be completely off the mark.

Deadpool 2 had bad test screening results and the movie turned out fine.

• Like 2