Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

5 hours ago, M37 said:

Bumblebee made $127M Dom / ~$300M WW(-C) against Aquaman - that should be the approximate floor the Aqua2, and IMO it goes higher because there just isn’t much in way of competition 

Idk if I’d say that’s the “floor”, but it’s probably likely. It should be a mega bomb like this, but yeah I think some underestimate how low a movie like that can go over Xmas when there’s really nothing else as it’s direct comp. It’s getting very lucky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Feige actually compared the characters in this movie teaming up to The Avengers being on screen for the first time!

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a42969726/the-marvels-movie-avengers-comparison/#

maybe It’s time to admit all his ideas aren’t genius 

what you say is about how ignorant he was about how popular are the three characters, not about his ideas 

• Like 1

Feige actually compared the characters in this movie teaming up to The Avengers being on screen for the first time!

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a42969726/the-marvels-movie-avengers-comparison/#

I mean he's just marketing his movie, yeah he's gonna be hyperbolic. Wouldn't take this as much of anything.

And he's right. They are fundamentally very similar. 

• They are both team-up films where the team is composed of pre-existing characters who initially had their own things going on.
  • They are both the first iteration of the team.
  • They are all tied together by Nick Fury
  • They are both mostly characters who were not previously A-listers
  • They Both combine fairly well received projects.  
    • Average audience RT of pre-avengers films was 76.5
    • Average audience RT of Captain Marvel, WandaVision, and Ms. Marvel was 71 (and that's with the obvious Review Bombing of Captain Marvel)
  • They Both have ~49 million pre-team up views per teammate
    • estimating Film viewership via Box Office / average ticket cost that year.
    • estimating Show viewership via median Nielson Millions of minutes watched each week (during runtime) / length of episode that week. 
    • Gives us 300.9 million views for The Avengers. Divided by 6, 50 million.
    • Gives us 145 million views for The Marvels. Divided by 3, 48 million.
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

I don't believe for a second Feige actually believed that an underwritten character like Captain Marvel, a side character in Wandavision who has one of the most embarrassing lines in the MCU and a character from a show that nobody watched was really going to be the equivalent of a mini Avengers event. Like, I believe that he is goofy sometimes and actually thought that Eternals was Disney's Dune 2021 but I believe The Marvels is another Avengers like thing is just him hyping up the project but that he doesn't really believing that.

22 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

Hey, I just saw this on r/boxoffice

https://x.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1721204091928670456?s=20

Wouldn't this counter the perception a lot of people have the Marvel Studios has no faith in this film anymore? 

I mean, even if studios don't have expectatives, they would try to recover as much money as possible. Also, cinemas would also try to gey the most amount of money possible.

People say Marvel Studios don't have faith in The Marvels, because they seem to have abandoned the movie when they have to invest.

Edited by Kon

12 minutes ago, Kon said:

People say Marvel Studios don't have faith in The Marvels, because they seem to have abandoned the movie when they have to invest

People keep saying this but there's...no evidence of them giving up on the movies promotion. Blue Beetle is something that was abandoned, where they just stopped promoting it.

Edited by SpiderByte

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

People keep saying this but there's...no evidence of them giving up on the movies promotion. Blue Beetle is something that was abandoned, where they just stopped promoting it.

Them not pushing back the release date, Quantumania and Secret Invasion's failure, plus their first trailer being disliked bombed should be a huge indicator that they started to lose hope in the project. I really don't know why you're dying on this hill so much that the movie is gonna be anything but a bomb

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicson said:

Them not pushing back the release date, Quantumania and Secret Invasion's failure, plus their first trailer being disliked bombed should be a huge indicator that they started to lose hope in the project. I really don't know why you're dying on this hill so much that the movie is gonna be anything but a bomb

First, they already delayed the movie twice.

Second... Quantumania and Secret Invasions reception isn't evidence that theyve given up on marketing for The Marvels? At all? How?

Third: the "dislike bomb" was because people on YouTube have a cottage industry about hating Brie Larson. It would have been bombed no matter what

Edited by SpiderByte

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

I find blindness about Ms Marvel flopping astounding not only on Feige's part but on the part of some fans. I hear see "If Iman could only go on talk shows" and think "But she was all over talk shows and Ms Marvel flopped!". Some people here think Ms Marvel has Spiderman potential but when was the last time Spiderman flopped? Not in live action, not in animation, not as Peter Parker, not as Miles Morales. All of them were hits, various degrees of hit but undisputed hits nonetheless. OTOH, Ms Marvel show flopped on D+ and then on ABC in an attempt to build the hype for The Marvels and now The Marvels will flop. That's not your Next Spidey. 

I identified the show flopping as potential stumbling block in The Marvels team when I made Yes We KEN Club and I wasn't wrong so how the heck studio bosses and bean counters couldn't see that?

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Nicson said:

1. Why would they take dislike bombing as a bad sign? Bombings have nothing to do with general audience reception. More importantly I don't think we actually know how many dislikes it got. All those browser extensions that claim to show dislikes are wildly inaccurate

2. The whole thing about pushing back the release date gives me big horoscope vibes. Like you just see what you want. If they did push it back, people would say "oh, well they must not have faith that it's good enough to make money without actors promoting it". The way it is right now we could just as easily say they didn't push it back because they *do* have faith in it. 

3. Quantumania and secret invasion are different projects entirely. Sure maybe they aren't as complacent as they were before, but there's no reason the failure of those projects would make them think The Marvels is suddenly bad

20 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I wish Variety still published weekly tv ad tracking data for upcoming films. It was far from perfect but you'd at least have a ballpark estimate.

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

It preceded Flashs release by one day. It's not like they were instantly blindsided by that point.

Muschietti got a project that ran through directors and writers for just shy of a decade over the line. That counts for something.

It wasn't obvious that he had directed a movie that audiences around the globe completely despised until after it came out though. They knew it would bomb at that point, but they didn't know it would be hated.

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

It wasn't obvious that he had directed a movie that audiences around the globe completely despised until after it came out though. They knew it would bomb at that point, but they didn't know it would be hated.

You seriously think they had zero idea what the reception would be one day before release? Not even one day counting previews 

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hypercortical said:

Hey, I just saw this on r/boxoffice

https://x.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1721204091928670456?s=20

Wouldn't this counter the perception a lot of people have the Marvel Studios has no faith in this film anymore? 

That is more so because IMAX hasn't had a true smash hit movie since Oppenheimer. The number of screens doesn't matter if the demand to fill those screens is not there. Indy 5 had one of the widest releases for a movie ever, doesn't mean it did anything for it.

It is obvious Disney has no confidence in the movie as they haven't released social embargo yet or done early fan screenings as was done with Guardians.

• Like 2

I can't stop getting ads for The Marvels while watching YouTube. It is obvious that Disney has spent over a 100M marketing the film, people just don't give a damn right now. People who say that Disney aren't marketing this film are not telling the truth. I've seen both haters and supporters claim that the film isn't being marketed. That's just not factual. There's this weird trend of people claiming that every film that flops or is going to flop wasn't marketed and 9 times out of 10 that is a bold faced lie. I don't know why people persist in telling that lie. If the studios didn't market any of their big movies then they wouldn't be spending $100 million on marketing. Blue Beetle's marketing campaign was horrible (it still would have flopped even if it were good) but Indiana Jones 5 had a huge marketing campaign. People just didn't want to see it. I know this hurts fans feelings but sometimes the public just doesn't want to see a movie. 

Rant Over. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 6
  • Knock It Off 1