Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

42 minutes ago, DInky said:

As a man, this is so alien to me. "If a man isn't the lead then I'm not watching it." I grew up on stuff like Alias, Buffy, Charmed, La Femme Nikita (the 90s series) and Xena so I've never had an aversion towards female-led series or movies.

yeah, in my mind it's less of a gender demographic issue and more of an age demographic issue. All the people i heard expressing disinterest in Ms. Marvel seemed to think more along the lines of "oh, that's for like teenagers.". But the majority of MCU fans are certainly adults. 

The gender gap in Marvel fandom isn't actually that big. 211206_marvel-fan-demo-makeup-update.png

edit: don't take this graph at face value for Gen Zers. This data is adults only, and most Gen Z were under 18 in 2021 i think

Edited by Hypercortical

8 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I wonder like something like No way Home came out now would still do insane numbers i think ? 

Probably?

It did $1.9B without China, and I don’t think Spider-‘Man is any less popular today than 2021.

Cartoon Spider-Man that isn’t even Peter Parker is the only CBM other than GOTG3 that did good this year.

Edited by Valencia
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, DInky said:

As a man, this is so alien to me. "If a man isn't the lead then I'm not watching it." I grew up on stuff like Alias, Buffy, Charmed, La Femme Nikita (the 90s series) and Xena so I've never had an aversion towards female-led series or movies.

There were some guys in my Marvel work slack channel that were more of less saying the same thing about how Ms Marvel just obviously wasn’t “for them” and it was a hard eye roll from me. It’s an incredibly well made and charming show, no asterisk needed. I don’t see the same adults out there who adore Spidey talking about how it’s not “for them” simply because he’s in high school. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Yeah cuz NWH had an actual draw. I don't know what the draw is here or who the target audience is.

I think the target audience was women but they thought it would draw in the men who always see Marvel movies in droves. Marvel movies have a good female fan base but they're predominantly directed towards men so I think that they should have had another male character in there that wasn't Samuel L Jackson and preferably in the 30-40 year age bracket. Hey I may be a Lefty SJW feminist but I have box office brain so I always think about these things. I know some people are going to hate me for this but I would never make a 200M action movie with an all female team and villain. I think female led action movies are already at a huge disadvantage and adding more disadvantages on there is playing with fire. Again I just think like a studio head when it comes to these things. Sorry. Lol

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 4
  • Knock It Off 2

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think the target audience was women but they thought it would draw in the men who always see Marvel movies in droves. Marvel movies have a good female fan base but they're predominantly directed towards men so I think that they should have had another male character in there that wasn't Samuel L Jackson and preferably in the 30-40 year age bracket. Hey I may be a Lefty SJW feminist but I have box office brain so I always think about these things. I know some people are going to hate me for this but I would never make a 200M action movie with an all female team and villain. I think female led action movies are already at a huge disadvantage in adding more disadvantages on there is playing with fire. Again I just think like a studio head when it comes to these things. Sorry. Lol

And I'll just say what everyone has already said a million times. Blue Marvel should have been on the team. Not only would he add an aspirational male protagonist, but he's had a relationship with Monica in the comics, so we get shipping material. 

Edited by Hypercortical
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I wonder like something like No way Home came out now would still do insane numbers i think ? 

The damage done to the Marvel brand would hurt it for sure, but it'd still likely have done around Age of Ultron numbers, which would've been great too.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think the target audience was women but they thought it would draw in the men who always see Marvel movies in droves. Marvel movies have a good female fan base but they're predominantly directed towards men so I think that they should have had another male character in there that wasn't Samuel L Jackson and preferably in the 30-40 year age bracket. Hey I may be a Lefty SJW feminist but I have box office brain so I always think about these things. I know some people are going to hate me for this but I would never make a 200M action movie with an all female team and villain. I think female led action movies are already at a huge disadvantage and adding more disadvantages on there is playing with fire. Again I just think like a studio head when it comes to these things. Sorry. Lol

If that's the reality we live in then I hate it. It's the same as saying that Ryan Coogler really should have shoved a white co-lead into the Black Panther movies. The fact that he didn't need to do that for white men to show up for those movies is even more depressing somehow. It means that men can look past race but they can't look past gender.

Edited by DInky
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The damage done to the Marvel brand would hurt it for sure, but it'd still likely have done around Age of Ultron numbers, which would've been great too.

Spider-man is immune to any Marvel brand damage similar to Batman. Expecting NWH to drop off by $500M with no pandemic and added Chinese gross is trolling 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Spider-man is immune to any Marvel brand damage similar to Batman. Expecting NWH to drop off by $500M with no pandemic and added Chinese gross is trolling 

Agreed. If anything, NWH cracks $2b due to no COVID and China if released today. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DInky said:

If that's the reality we live in then I hate it. It's the same as saying that Ryan Coogler really should have shoved a white co-lead into the Black Panther movies. The fact that he didn't need to do that for white men to show up for those movies is even more depressing somehow. It means that men can look past race but they can't look past gender.

Black Panther movie has a larger african american audience than any other MCU movi3. That's why it get a so big box office. It was a celebration.

It works a lot better because black men are also pretty interested in the action genre.

However, it isn't even clear if that celebration could be repeated in the sequel.

Edited by Kon