The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I like Brie Larson in dramas. She's great in dramas. I like her period actually. She seems like she is at least trying to be a good and thoughtful person. So far I haven't liked her in action films though and that should be okay. 

I remember a while back the lady from "The Vikings" was a runner-up for the role, but I assume she does not have that Oscar Winner attache. And was a bit older than Brie. 

Katheryn Winnick borned to the role, she would be better than Brie Larson :  r/Fancast 

You could replace Brie Larson with an old cabbage in any of her blockbusters - be it Kong, CM or Fast X - and the difference would be negligible. In fact, it would probable generate more interest.

She can act, but she comes across terribly in any blockbuster role. It's not a fit for every A-lister, and that's got nothing to do with misogynism. I hope she finds peace and can shine in some smaller movies after this trainwreck.

giphy

• Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I like Brie Larson in dramas. She's great in dramas. I like her period actually. She seems like she is at least trying to be a good and thoughtful person. So far I haven't liked her in action films though and that should be okay. 

She was great in Scott Pilgrim.

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

You could replace Brie Larson with an old cabbage in any of her blockbusters - be it Kong, CM or Fast X - and the difference would be negligible. In fact, it would probable generate more interest.

She can act, but she comes across terribly in any blockbuster role. It's not a fit for every A-lister, and that's got nothing to do with misogynism. I hope she finds peace and can shine in some smaller movies after this trainwreck.

giphy

Floo recognize flop? Fail of a meme considering one was in endgame and he other in Avatar.

Just now, eddyxx said:

Floo recognize flop? Fail of a meme considering one was in endgame and he other in Avatar.

Ah yes, the famous engines that drove the box office for those two movies.

And it's about Fast X. You know, one of the biggest flops of the year, despite it earning twice what this disaster will?

3 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

I remember a while back the lady from "The Vikings" was a runner-up for the role, but I assume she does not have that Oscar Winner attache. And was a bit older than Brie. 

Katheryn Winnick borned to the role, she would be better than Brie Larson :  r/Fancast 

Yeah. I suspect they wanted to cast really young like they did with Black Widow. A beautiful young blond Oscar winner playing your big lead female hero is just perfect on paper. I totally get why Marvel cast Larson.

11 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yeah. I suspect they wanted to cast really young like they did with Black Widow. A beautiful young blond Oscar winner playing your big lead female hero is just perfect on paper. I totally get why Marvel cast Larson.

Maybe if Katheryn was 10 years younger, it could've happened. 

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Ah yes, the famous engines that drove the box office for those two movies.

And it's about Fast X. You know, one of the biggest flops of the year, despite it earning twice what this disaster will?

This is way off topic but based on how the year has gone since Fast X, is it really one of the biggest flops? It has to compete in that category now with The Flash, Dial of Destiny, RotB, Ant 3, Mission Impossible, almost certainly The Marvels, and maybe Aquaman 2. Probably something else I'm forgetting as well. It really has been a year!

The issue is the character. Like Superman shes basically unphased by anything. Like the final 'fight' CM1 is a decent gag but it also means she gets nothing more to build her character.

Whose her family? Whose her friends? This is also a problem with amnesia characters in general. This film is an attempt to fix some of this but they've already lost the audience, reduce run time to 90 minutes and made it into a team up movie.

Theres just nothing to the character. Whats Brie supposed to do with that?

Theres three characters in CM1;

- Starforce Captain.

- Oh no wait am really a military pilot!

- Oh no am actually Captain fucking America, let me remove this chip.

"Why didn't people connect with Captain Marvel?"

Mother GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

18 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

This is way off topic but based on how the year has gone since Fast X, is it really one of the biggest flops? It has to compete in that category now with The Flash, Dial of Destiny, RotB, Ant 3, Mission Impossible, almost certainly The Marvels, and maybe Aquaman 2. Probably something else I'm forgetting as well. It really has been a year!

With that budget and 140 million of the box office being China - ya, it 100% is a massive black hole. As you say, it's quite a competition for biggest disaster this year.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

They’re trying really hard to make Ms Marvel another Spider-Man and they are failing miserably. In the trailers for this she looks insufferable 

I don't understand this at all.  How exactly do you think they are "trying really hard to make Ms. Marvel another Spider-Man??"   By just existing in this universe and being young or something??  

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

This. No matter what some people here personally think of the character and actress, such as that they are great, audience is rejecting this character. How many times a property (show, movie) with the same character needs to flop for the message to sink in? Spiderman didn't flop with either PP or MM which shows that the character is popular with audience. OTOH, Ms Marvel show didn't attract new teen girl audience it was supposed to, while the base audience skipped it. Now CM team with this character is tracking worse than any Marvel movie. 

mean-girls-regina-george.gif

Yes, you've been saying this for a while(or maybe it was someone else?) but like if you just deleted all characters that were in flops, we wouldn't have the Hulk anymore because he got 2 solo movies that did nothing, but he works pretty great in support. 

You're also trying to compress time and space by saying they shouldn't have put her in this movie because her show flopped either ignoring or forgetting that the show came out after them movie finished filming.

• Like 4

We live in a time where audiences love anti heros and flawed heroes.

A character that really has no flaws or questionable morality and has seemingly unlimited power gets a bit boring.

Even Black Panther had to overcome a lot of moral grey areas to develop himself as a hero. 

Like captain marvel was this eccentric alcholic air force pilot it been ten times more interesting. 

Edited by Torontofan

4 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

A character that really has no flaws or questionable morality and has seemingly unlimited power gets a bit boring.

Even Black Panther had to overcome a lot of moral grey areas to develop himself as a hero. 

Like captain marvel was this eccentric alcholic air force pilot it been ten times more interesting. 

How are you gonna say "no flaws or questionable morality" when every single trailer makes a big deal about carol being "The Annihilator"? She's clearly done some grey things

14 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Marvel already did the eccentric alcoholic thing with Tony. Find her some unique flaws.

• Haha 1