Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

Just now, PlatnumRoyce said:

I assume they released it because it is attached to Barbie preview showings. 

Is it really? Can anyone confirm that the new trailer has been attached to Barbie? If that's the case, then they're banking more on Barbie audiences than online audiences for trailer views.

4 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I assume they released it because it is attached to Barbie preview showings. 

I heard someone else say this, but has anyone actually seen this trailer before Barbie? I saw Barbie last night and didn’t get it, but I did come a little late, so maybe I just missed it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

Then why are you here? You complain every other day at this point about how this forum is terrible and how everybody thinks every Marvel movie is an epic bomb. If you don’t like this forum, you can go somewhere else. We aren’t the only place on the entire Internet where you can talk about Marvel. So why hang around a place you hate? Either way, this passive aggressive nonsense you’re doing, because people dare to have a different opinion than you over a kids movie you’re excited over, isn’t funny. So stop.

Man, come on. You can't just repeat this screed every single time someone points out how negative this board gets. People on here were declaring this a bomb before the first trailer released and how it'd be under 500 WW.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Sub 500M ww for this is just kneejerking imo, I didn't like captain marvel but it was finely received, no reason for that sort of collapse. Feels more like wishful thinking from some people than anything.

I will say predicting over 1b is just as foolish though, pretty much just adjusting for the upcoming big china drop and taking out russia gets it under a billy even if matches captain marvel everywhere - which won't happen either.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hunger games will flop and will be non factor for this. I mean the gap from og series is 8 years!!! non of the original  cast coming back and the book was just released in 2020. I also don't think it's already as iconic as the novel trilogy. Also no one cares about the history of Hunger Games and it's not unique anymore. The reason why Hunger Games og was successful because it was unique the way they combined the games, politics and dystopian city story. It also consisted of fan favorite character that people become attached. This one has none of that. Feels like cash grab.

So yeah, I think Marvels will have a clear runway path to the holidays season.

Dune 2 will probably move and if it doesn't, I don't think it will hurt too much cause Marvels opens after it not before it so legs will be fine.

Hunger Games will flop.

Napoleon will be too segmented and bring different audience (old people).

Trolls and Wish are counterprogramming and the audience won't overlap (both pg rating).

The real test will be Wonka which will be almost a month after in holiday season where movies can coexist perfectly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Sub 500M ww for this is just kneejerking imo, I didn't like captain marvel but it was finely received, no reason for that sort of collapse. Feels more like wishful thinking from some people than anything.

I will say predicting over 1b is just as foolish though, pretty much just adjusting for the upcoming big china drop and taking out russia gets it under a billy even if matches captain marvel everywhere - which won't happen either.

Endgame really did set ludicrous expectations imo. Strange is a flop at 950+, Thors seen as "a failure" despite a relatively small drop WW from Ragnarok (and an increase from it DOM!). People just need more realistic expectations 

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Endgame really did set ludicrous expectations imo. Strange is a flop at 950+, Thors seen as "a failure" despite a relatively small drop WW from Ragnarok (and an increase from it DOM!). People just need more realistic expectations 

Strange and Thor aren't failures in terms of actual money and I don't think anyone says that, they are poor runs though, big opening into shit IM and legs make for runs that kind of leave a sour taste on people since it's rather obvious money was left on the table if the films were well received atleast (I'll say I liked Strange though, didn't even bother with Thor, me and Taika just don't mix).

Marvels will probably come out to a much more contained OW than either of those but as long as it doesn't have that sort of stinker run legging out more decently I think people will be left more content with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Thor is seen as a failure due to mediocre WOM but no one here really dismissed the box office performance as it was solid and Strange though the total was disappointed because it collapsed after OW similarly to BvS having a clear gateway but failed due to mediocre WOM, Strange 2 doing 950m WW though is a huge success. I believe we've had this conversation before.

49 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Is it really? Can anyone confirm that the new trailer has been attached to Barbie? If that's the case, then they're banking more on Barbie audiences than online audiences for trailer views.

48 minutes ago, deniima said:

I heard someone else say this, but has anyone actually seen this trailer before Barbie? I saw Barbie last night and didn’t get it, but I did come a little late, so maybe I just missed it. 

To clarify, I don't know. I also just heard someone say this and it just made a lot of conceptual sense. 

Honestly, even if people initially claimed this was lying, I really do suspect it's timed for barbie. Otherwise, why not tie it to secret invasion's final or even penultimate episode? 

Marvels biggest roadblock is the Plus factor of having to explain Kamala and Monica’s appearances to the GA without it having to feel like homework. So far Phase 4/5 didn’t really have that problem, as Quantumania fell apart due to being an awful movie but Strange 2 WOM problems seems to partially be how they handled Wanda but that was primarily from uberfans and not so much the GA. If Kamala and Monica are able to mesh without confusing the GA, it’ll be fine.

40 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Hunger games will flop and will be non factor for this. I mean the gap from og series is 8 years!!! non of the original  cast coming back and the book was just released in 2020. I also don't think it's already as iconic as the novel trilogy. Also no one cares about the history of Hunger Games and it's not unique anymore. The reason why Hunger Games og was successful because it was unique the way they combined the games, politics and dystopian city story. It also consisted of fan favorite character that people become attached. This one has none of that. Feels like cash grab.

So yeah, I think Marvels will have a clear runway path to the holidays season.

Dune 2 will probably move and if it doesn't, I don't think it will hurt too much cause Marvels opens after it not before it so legs will be fine.

Hunger Games will flop.

Napoleon will be too segmented and bring different audience (old people).

Trolls and Wish are counterprogramming and the audience won't overlap (both pg rating).

The real test will be Wonka which will be almost a month after in holiday season where movies can coexist perfectly.

I was feeling big on Hunger Games a few months ago as the books were huge in my generation. Every middle schooler knows the YA book movie craze of 2011-15. However, the trailer hasn’t been catching on fire on social media and seems most likely to get the short end of the stick. The biggest issue from Dune 2 and Hunger Games is the PLF and screen space issues. Pretty sure Dune 2 is hogging IMAX until Hunger Games, but we could get a NWH/Matrix situation in which Matrix just got imax and NWH got the other big screens.

I did not get the trailer before my show of Barbie.  Not sure if it will be on the regular shows starting today or not, but it does seem weird to not include it.  Although, maybe they didn't want any cape competition with the Blue Beetle trailer they did attach lmao.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, YM! said:

Marvels biggest roadblock is the Plus factor of having to explain Kamala and Monica’s appearances to the GA without it having to feel like homework.

Monica was in the first movie. It's not that crazy she'd be in the second.

With Kamala it takes literally two seconds. She's a superhero fan who got superpowers. Donezo. Idk why people think the trailers need to explain every detail that happens between for people to go to the theater 

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Then this confirms that they really want to sabotage this movie lol, as why would anyone release a trailer when everyone was sleeping?

Just stop.  There are a hundred different ways to actually sabotage the movie if they really wanted to.  Actually releasing another trailer is literally not one of them.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, YM! said:

Marvels biggest roadblock is the Plus factor of having to explain Kamala and Monica’s appearances to the GA without it having to feel like homework. So far Phase 4/5 didn’t really have that problem, as Quantumania fell apart due to being an awful movie but Strange 2 WOM problems seems to partially be how they handled Wanda but that was primarily from uberfans and not so much the GA. If Kamala and Monica are able to mesh without confusing the GA, it’ll be fine.

I was feeling big on Hunger Games a few months ago as the books were huge in my generation. Every middle schooler knows the YA book movie craze of 2011-15. However, the trailer hasn’t been catching on fire on social media and seems most likely to get the short end of the stick. The biggest issue from Dune 2 and Hunger Games is the PLF and screen space issues. Pretty sure Dune 2 is hogging IMAX until Hunger Games, but we could get a NWH/Matrix situation in which Matrix just got imax and NWH got the other big screens.

Is GA even a factor for Marvel movies anymore? They are 32 films deep at this point.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Is GA even a factor for Marvel movies anymore? They are 32 films deep at this point.

It’s also been going on for a decade, and has seeped into all aspects, good and bad, of pop culture. I know a bunch of folks who just go cause “it’s the new Marvel movie”, and not like they know the whole backstory or characters. 

And I am anecdotally talking about people folks would consider GA

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cap said:

It’s also been going on for a decade, and has seeped into all aspects, good and bad, of pop culture. I know a bunch of folks who just go cause “it’s the new Marvel movie”, and not like they know the whole backstory or characters. 

And I am anecdotally talking about people folks would consider GA

I just feel like, at this point, you’re either on board for a new Marvel movie or you’re not. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chaz said:

I just feel like, at this point, you’re either on board for a new Marvel movie or you’re not. 🤷‍♂️

If only everyone else felt that way and didn’t fight about if you are on board or not 🤭

• Like 1