Eric Duncan

Star Wars: The Bad Batch | Disney+ | Final Season premieres February 21st!

3 hours ago, Cap said:

Lol, I wasn't coming for your girl.  I was just commenting on how dark it got.  🤣

Look, I'm just being an overprotective dad fan, al'ight? j1aUlyv.gif

(I know you weren't. :)  But it was a good launching on post to further refine my thoughts about the Omega/Bad Batch dynamic. 👍)

• Like 1

The Bad Batch made me want to restart SW Rebels, I topped at the end of season 2 years ago but I forgot most of it so I restarted from where I remembered: early S2. I watched 15 episodes so far and I greatly enjoy it, too many episodes for my taste but hey....I also have a better understanding of it than back then as The Bad Batch made me look at the chronology and the show itself made me understand the clone stuff better and why Kanan is so distrustful about them.

Feels like S3 & S4 are gonna be epic :)

• Like 2

Probably the "weakest" of the episodes so far, but still fairly enjoyable.  Far far 'lighter' in tone (and scope) than the last episode.

Most important thing?

Spoiler

ENTER: Fennec Shand.

Also becoming fairly apparent this is one long story broken up into individual episodes.  There might be natural break points here and there, but doesn't seem to be following the 'arc' structure of TCW or the more free-form story of early season Rebels.  Does remind me more of later seasons of Rebels where there was a continuous metaplot being played out.

As such some episodes there won't be as much to say about, and this is one of them.  Though. as I think about it, I do appreciate

Spoiler

the fleshing out of Fennec Shand.  It'd be all too easy to make her a one-note bounty hunter.  That she used "social hacking" to befriend Omega was a nice little change of pace.  Same with not being pissed off with the double crossing hanger manager.  No reason for her to burn a contact who (more or less) operated in good faith.  Yet again it's all too easy to establish someone as a Bad Person by offing them when they've failed.  That Fennec didn't do that gives her a nice little rounding to her character.

Aside from that, not much to say, as I said.

• Like 3

Yeah this episode was mostly just action. Ok for one episode, and it generally worked because the locations and lighting were really nice, but I hope going forward we return to the character focus of the first three. Overall a good episode though. It reminded me of "Lightsaber Lost" from Clone Wars, which had a similar style with the fast-paced chase through cool-looking locations. 

Spoiler

I loved Echo's subplot with the droids. As Porthos said Fennec was well-done. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Menor said:

It reminded me of "Lightsaber Lost" from Clone Wars, which had a similar style with the fast-paced chase through cool-looking locations. 

It's interesting that you mention that as I was struck by the at times Coruscant-ish feel of the episode.  Just being based in a city with cars flying through the air, I suppose.  Though the somewhat girtty nature of the city parts also helped.

• Like 1

A rare public post from Pablo Hidalgo [who has opened up a public alt on Twitter]:

Closer look at image:

E2KGU2hXsAYlNEo?format=jpg&name=small

The date there is 5/23/2019.  Which once again shows the cra-cra lead time for an animation project like The Bad Batch.

(this also means the series was being worked on before TCW S7 aired and also before Mando S1 aired and thus before the positive reception to Fennec Shand/clamoring for more of her character from the fans)

• Like 3

That was a very nice return to form. 👍

Still somewhat, and I do mean somewhat. slow paced, but it felt much more in rhythm and natural. Good to see things from prior episodes being addressed in a small manner

Spoiler

ie the education of one Omega LastCloner.  She even followed the rules set down for her, bless her heart.

As for the episode itself, always, and I do mean ALWAYS, good to see slaver scum get what's coming to them.

Solid 9/10 I think.  Nothing earth shattering,  but a tale well-told, which I'm always down for.

• Like 2

I like the balance the show is having with it not being quite as episodic as Rebels and Mandalorian was while still it's clearly not a movie broken up into 16 parts. 

Maybe it's also cause I'm still impressed by the animation everytime I see the show as well. Technically it's never been better for Star Wars

• Like 2

Omega kinda bothered me in Episode 4 because she really was a weight for the team but episode 5 made me happy as she learned rules and even got her own weapon, they made her grow fast and now she'll be an asset.

Visually The Bad Batch never disappoint!

What's gonna happen to Wrecker is already written...

Spoiler

His headach probably means his chip will activate, he'll turn into a enemy.....I didn't like him in episode 1 as he was just a musclehead but now that he is like a big brother to Omega I like him more.

Edited by Fullbuster

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

What's gonna happen to Wrecker is already written...

Hide contents

His headach probably means his chip will activate, he'll turn into a enemy.....I didn't like him in episode 1 as he was just a musclehead but now that he is like a big brother to Omega I like him more.

Spoiler

Too obvious.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  Something is happening with that chip in his head.  But for him to turn eeeeeeeevil?  If so, it'll be fo-

an ...

episo....

Hmmmm....

Tech is building a scanner, you know. YiBe40t.png

====

I can see this going one of two ways, broadly speaking.

First broad plot path, the scanner is built and used to diagnose Wrecker's headaches, which allows them to figure out how to "cure" Crosshair.  Even something as simple as finding where the chip is in the brain.

Second broad plot path, the chip in Wrecker's head (partially?) activates, so Tech is forced to finish the scanner/use the scanner on Wrecker to cure him.

Either way, Wrecker will be the test subject/trial run to ultimately trying to cure Crosshair.

THAT is how this won't be such an obvious plotline seen coming a mile away.  At most, Wrecker will be "eeeeeevil" for an episode or two (which is what I was about to type) but The Bad Batch will figure out some way to cure him/remove his chip, perhaps with the help of Rex (a major character from TCW who had already been namechecked in this series).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I honestly was thinking about this too but I didn't want to go too deep but now that we're there anyway....yeah, I think it's a better path for the series than Wrecker just getting bad and in the end Crosshair will join them at some point (mid-season? Season finale?) and it'll be interesting becomes he'll feel so terrible about his war atrocities, he'll be depressed for a while and I guess Omega will be the key to make him feel better as she understood him well from the start.

• Like 1

An entertaining episode and the animation never disappoints, but 

Spoiler

I hope we actually see Crosshair's plotline as his part in episode 3 is still my favorite sequence in the show. 

That aside, Echo again got some nice moments. I can see why he would be so against slavery given what the Techno Union did to him. I also liked that Omega actually followed Hunter's instructions in this episode, you can see some growth in her already. The rancor was cute and I liked its fight with the other creature whose name is slipping my mind right now. 

And, of course, the Zygerrians are forever the galaxy's biggest scumbags, so its always good to see them get some comeuppance. 

• Like 1

BTW, if people thought the voice of Cid sounded familiar, that's because...

Here's hoping to a continued presence for Cid, as I really liked her as a character.

(yes, I didn't know I needed Carla Tortelli IN SPAAAAAAACE until now, but dammit I do!)

"Season" finale? ZTvo87j.png

====

Yes, yes, I know the rumors of S2 already being made — I was the one who posted it. :lol:   But he could have just as easily said "finale" or sumthin' similar.  

Looking more and more likely there will be a S2 of Bad Batch is more or less what I am sayin'. 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

"Season" finale? ZTvo87j.png

====

Yes, yes, I know the rumors of S2 already being made — I was the one who posted it. :lol:   But he could have just as easily said "finale" or sumthin' similar.  

Looking more and more likely there will be a S2 of Bad Batch is more or less what I am sayin'. 👍

The slow pace feels like they're doing some world-building so that wouldn't surprise me, if that was a limited series they'd go faster.

Also: going on with that one allows to reuse a lot of assets, which drives costs lower while giving D+ more content :)

• Like 1