cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

There's a such thing as "goodwill"  for some critics.  It's not really fair necessarily but people are human. We've seen it with certain franchises.  When MCU was hitting some home runs there were critics who were judging the MCU more as a collective than each individual movie.  When they hit their stride everything,  even movies that you look back at now and think wow that was mid or even bad were getting high grades or passing grades etc.  

Same thing with Star Wars.  There's no question The Last Jedi was a very mixed and divisive movie but you wouldn't think that looking at the RT score with critics. 

Same thing with the Fast series.  There were a lot of Fast movies that got the benefit of the doubt because they were "supposed" to be wild and crazy.  Then people got tired of it.  

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Oh I forgot,  so Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 I think it would have gotten close to 90% if it had come out during Marvel's peak years.  

'Blue Beetle' has a chance to get a decent score but I wonder if critics just in general are like "I'm not caring about this movie unless they show me something different".   Many critics seem to be nearly out on comic book movies as a whole. They are tired of them and it's going to be hard to change that. 

47 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Same thing with Star Wars.  There's no question The Last Jedi was a very mixed and divisive movie but you wouldn't think that looking at the RT score with critics. 

or the posttrak/cinemascore or the poll mashable conducted a few days latter. TLJ was obviously divisive but you weirdly don't see it in high quality audience score metrics, only the film's terrible legs and Disney's followup actions. I agree with your general point but there's a messiness to this stuff that I've yet to seen successfully unraveled.  

Same thing with the Fast series.  There were a lot of Fast movies that got the benefit of the doubt because they were "supposed" to be wild and crazy.  Then people got tired of it.  

The decline in quality also makes people forget that Fast 5 & 6 are genuinely very good films (as was Fast 4 but that didn't even get the benefit of the doubt as a soft reboot of the franchise).  If anything, I'd argue the reverse is happening: declining quality post-Lin retroactively devalues his successes. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

or the posttrak/cinemascore or the poll mashable conducted a few days latter. TLJ was obviously divisive but you weirdly don't see it in high quality audience score metrics, only the film's terrible legs and Disney's followup actions. I agree with your general point but there's a messiness to this stuff that I've yet to seen successfully unraveled.  

The decline in quality also makes people forget that Fast 5 & 6 are genuinely very good films (as was Fast 4 but that didn't even get the benefit of the doubt as a soft reboot of the franchise).  If anything, I'd argue the reverse is happening: declining quality post-Lin retroactively devalues his successes. 

The Star Wars thing is way too complicated to delve into at the moment so I'll just stick to Fast.  So,  I agree with you that Fast Five is a fantastic movie and I'd even argue that 6/7 are also very good,  part 7 of course has a brilliant ending to it..   But where I think they started getting the benefit of the doubt was with The Fate of the Furious because as big as a Fast fan that I am,  I thought that movie stunk for the most part and yet the critic score is I think 67% and then F9 was terrible to me and that was also Fresh for a very long time, it's dipped just below at 59% now.   I'd argue FX was a little more entertaining but at 56% you can see that critics are getting tired.  

Now let me tie this into 'Blue Beetle' because that's what we're here for.   IF Blue Beetle is a good movie with some heart as the reactions are saying,  but also somewhat formulaic and forgettable then I can see the Shazam comparisons but this isn't 2018/2019 anymore during the peak of comic book movies.  Shazam got a huge 91% I think,  I'd have to go check again but I do not think it'd be as high now and if Blue Beetle is of the same quality I could see it getting maybe 76%.  

• Like 2

I mean, there's also just the fact that the more you keep doing the same thing again, the less excited people will be for it and the more it will all feel a rather generic, "already played out" thing - the same film they'd seen 5 times before they've now seen 20 times, and even in a genre that is often inflated by CBM fan blogs (as far as RT is concerned), that's going to weigh at some point

Originality also plays a part in filmmaking, and the feeling of "more of the same" will weigh on scores, and imho, it's fair for it to - the 10th time you do something is going to inherently feel worse even if you did it no differently than prior attempts. People talk about critics but in reality I find that the critic consensus is still playing reasonably close to audiences for MCU films, which, imho, just further proves the point: the genre is quite stale by now, crowded, saturated, played out

There's also the fact that, generally, we're not talking about films that were getting massively raved: the most blatant example is one I've already seen brought up in the thread aka Ant-Man and the Wasp, which sits at 87% - that sounds really high, but in reality its average is just a 7/10 (fwiw, below both wakanda forever and guardians 3's average) - that means a lot of people thought the film was serviceable but just that, a decent flick that got lots of 6 from people, and those 6 can turn into 5 pretty easily if execution is even just a bit worse (or feels worse because it's been seen a billion times already): a 6 is not a world of difference from a 5 as a score, but in terms of RT percentages, there's only "above 6" or "below 6", so just a 1 point (or even half a point)  can weigh quite heavily

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2