Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Raya 1.4 Friday (-2% from last week)

Deadline a bit too optimistic with their IMs here imo, but look like a smattering of small increases, near flats, and small decreases. Courier opening around 2M might be enough to increase the overall weekend. 

https://deadline.com/2021/03/weekend-box-office-kelly-marie-tran-los-angeles-raya-and-the-last-dragon-1234718593/

1 hour ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

In addition to CA open, Florida has spring break this week...that's a 2-fer that's good for movies...now, the numbers are still really low (we're going for another Top 10 DOM under $20M), but you gotta hold box office before you can increase it, and this week shows the market can still hold a level, if not still increase it yet...

36 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

In addition to CA open, Florida has spring break this week...that's a 2-fer that's good for movies...now, the numbers are still really low (we're going for another Top 10 DOM under $20M), but you gotta hold box office before you can increase it, and this week shows the market can still hold a level, if not still increase it yet...

How many state will be in spring break by GvK opening?

LA and a bunch of other CA counties reopening this past week has likely contributed to the really good drops this week. In addition to Spring Break in some states.

Kelly Marie Tran made a surprise appearance last night at Disney's El Capitan to introduce the opening of Raya there. In-person appearances like that will definitely help boost the numbers.

Los Angeles Weekend Box Office Booms; Kelly Marie Tran Greets ‘Raya’ Fans At El Capitan – Deadline

• Like 1

Like I said, Deadline’s nums from yesterday clearly weren't properly adjusting for spring break. They had Croods at +45%.   

The actual numbers looks pretty solid though. These last two weekends have been pretty anemic with no notable openers, Nobody into GvK should be a real pick-me-up.

• Like 1

Weekend B.O. for March 19-21:

1.) Raya and the Last Dragon (Dis) 2,261 theaters (+98), 3-day: $5.2M (-9%), Total: $23.4M/Wk 3

2.) Tom & Jerry (WB) 2,508 theaters (+54), 3-day: $3.8M (-7%)/Total: $33.6M/Wk 4

3.) The Courier (RSA) 1,433 theaters, 3-day: $2M/Wk 1

4.) Chaos Walking (Lionsgate) 2,132 theaters (+112), 3-day: $1.925M (-14%)/Total: $9.69M/Wk 3

5.) The Croods: A New Age (Uni) 1,411 theaters (-29), 3-day: $620K (+15%)/Total: $55.2M/Wk 17

6.)Boogie (Focus) 1,184 theaters (-88), 3-day: $600K (-23%) /Total: $3.2M/Wk 3

7.) The Marksman (Open) 1,002 theaters (-103)/3-day: $480K (+6%)/Total: $14.2M/Wk 10

8.) Wonder Woman 1984 (WB) 1,158 theaters (+19)/3-day: $460K (+15%)/Total: $45.5M/Wk 13

9.) The Father (SPC) 937 theaters (+72), 3-day: $355K (-18%) /Total: $1.038M/Wk 4

10.) The Little Things (WB) 1,130 theaters (-173), 3-day: $340K (-15%), Total: $14.7M/Wk 8

11.) Minari (A24) 786 theaters (+504), 3-day: $306K (+131%), Total $1.4M/Wk 6

https://deadline.com/2021/03/weekend-box-office-kelly-marie-tran-los-angeles-raya-and-the-last-dragon-1234718593/

DOM Top 10 a touch under $16M...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Like I said, Deadline’s nums from yesterday clearly weren't properly adjusting for spring break. They had Croods at +45%.   

The actual numbers looks pretty solid though. These last two weekends have been pretty anemic with no notable openers, Nobody into GvK should be a real pick-me-up.

They forgot how to project box office. The market has been down for a year. Or, do they ever know how to?

8 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Showing some more signs of improvement. 

It would be great if Godzilla vs Kong could be the first film to go over $20m. 

Although we know family films are doing best just now. It’ll be interesting. 

I originally thought GvK would have a $25M 5 day, but CA opening before I thought means I think it goes to $30M 5 day...how that breaks down across the days, I'm less certain, but I think we will have our highest Covid-era true opener (hopefully, we don't get a Tenet where WB just rolls all 5 days into a 3 day, and calls it the opening weekend, but we might - in that case, we are certainly over $20M:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Showing some more signs of improvement. 

It would be great if Godzilla vs Kong could be the first film to go over $20m. 

Although we know family films are doing best just now. It’ll be interesting. 

GvK is also kind of family movie with more action sequences and VFX packed. Should have  big screen value