Eric Deetz

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 | December 20, 2024

20 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Apparently, the new Knuckles series mostly focuses on Adam Pally's character, and the ending doesn't tie into Sonic 3 in any major way (ie. No keanu tease).

For what it's worth, the reviews themselves seem pretty positive so far. It's just that Adam Pally has a bigger role than fans would like, and Kotaku running with a headline today about how Knuckles is "barely" in it isn't helping at all.

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

For what it's worth, the reviews themselves seem pretty positive so far. It's just that Adam Pally has a bigger role than fans would like, and Kotaku running with a headline today about how Knuckles is "barely" in it isn't helping at all.

What was the Kotaku review? I got this info from the Gamespot review.

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

It would have been kind of early.

At this point, having a Sonic 3 trailer would have really helped IF because IF needs all the help it can get.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

It would have been kind of early.

They probably didn't have enough CGI rendered or record Keanu's lines just yet. It hasn't even been two months since filming wrapped.

I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to shift it to either Geoff Keighley's Summer Games Fest, or Sega's own Sonic Central stream, both in June. It'd be thematically appropiate, and they'd get to directly market it to gamers without the middle men of exhibition. Saving it for June would also allow them to put it in front of Inside Out 2, which is a lot better than trying to use it to salvage a doomed sinking ship like IF.

That being said, considering that Sonic 2 only had a 4-month marketing window, I also wouldn't be surprised to see them hold off until Transformers's release in September to give us a first look.

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

They probably didn't have enough CGI rendered or record Keanu's lines just yet. It hasn't even been two months since filming wrapped.

I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to shift it to either Geoff Keighley's Summer Games Fest, or Sega's own Sonic Central stream, both in June. It'd be thematically appropiate, and they'd get to directly market it to gamers without the middle men of exhibition. Saving it for June would also allow them to put it in front of Inside Out 2, which is a lot better than trying to use it to salvage a doomed sinking ship like IF.

That being said, considering that Sonic 2 only had a 4-month marketing window, I also wouldn't be surprised to see them hold off until Transformers's release in September to give us a first look.

Also, Knuckles didn't really make a dent when it landed, so starting the marketing this early doesn't make sense. Better to start in September or late August.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

My guess is we’ll get a trailer next week so it can play in front of DM4. 

Actually, the latest word on the street is pointing to a late July launch. So presumably they think the Comic-Con hype will get more eyes on their product than if it was attached to these kids' movies. Not a bad idea considering how big the Sonic fanbase is. Marketing it directly to that crowd might work out better for them too.

3 hours ago, Morieris said:

So happy 33rd birthday, Sonic!

If you expected a trailer, maybe tomorrow?

If there was, then we'd have gotten an announcement today.

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Actually, the latest word on the street is pointing to a late July launch. So presumably they think the Comic-Con hype will get more eyes on their product than if it was attached to these kids' movies. Not a bad idea considering how big the Sonic fanbase is. Marketing it directly to that crowd might work out better for them too.

If there was, then we'd have gotten an announcement today.

So they’re gonna treat this like a superhero event movie then? Interesting. 

13 minutes ago, sonichedgehog12345 said:

Does anyone know if Amy or Rouge are gonna be in this?

Still no word on it to my knowledge. A lot of people assumed Krysten Ritter would be playing Rouge, but she was supposedly cast as a human character. 

Just heads up, Regal is selling tickets for Sonic 2 rerelease this Tuesday and Wednesday for $1 as part of their summer movie express.

Already rewatch Sonic at Regal last week for a $1, but forget to mention that here. Might as well as Sonic 3 is coming this Dec. It was fun, felt like lots of kids seeing for the first time, lots of cheers at Tails at the end. lol

They are doing Panda 3 next week than Minions 2 after that for the same price.

Edited by Mojoguy

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

Is there really no word about this being at SDCC?

Looks like the only Sonic presence there is going to be through a themed pop-up restaurant, so I wouldn't expect any news there.

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up waiting until Transformers One, the next family tentpole from Paramount, to get our first look. They might even make it a theatrical exclusive to screenings of that movie for the opening weekend, as some distributors are bringing that tradition back, like Focus and Neon. 3 months might seem like cutting it short, but seeing as this is one of those rare movies that will market itself, I imagine Paramount will deem it enough. They lost enough money running around like headless chickens during the Skydance drama, so I'd expect marketing cuts across the board for a while, at least until Ellison's safety net is installed.

• Like 1