Eric the Ape

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 | December 20, 2024

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Huh... could this dilute the brand a bit?

I don't think so. If anything, it'll actually help it. Knuckles is actually a popular character who can easily carry his own story, unlike most of the characters Marvel handed spinoffs to like candy. Also unlike the barrage of Dragons TV series it seems to be distinct enough from the main movies to not dilute their value.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Think this will move to February 2025

If they can't get the effects done on time, then they'll likely push it off. Otherwise there's no reason for it to vacate that lucrative holiday slot. Moana 2 will open big but likely lose steam quickly and be pretty much done by the time Sonic 3 arrives. And who honestly sees Mufasa, a prequel no one asked for to a movie no one wanted a followup to, as a serious threat at this point?

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

No way. If it moves out of December, I don't know what they'll do, but I just can't see February being the month they choose. February would show lack of confidence, especially since this is the exact kind of film which would do gangbusters over that Christmas-New Years break.

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

No way. If it moves out of December, I don't know what they'll do, but I just can't see February being the month they choose. February would show lack of confidence, especially since this is the exact kind of film which would do gangbusters over that Christmas-New Years break.

The first movie did well in that window, at least before the apocalypse commenced, so I think that's why he suggested that. The strikes caused filming to start a lot later than they'd wanted it to as well.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

My thought is that it would actually move up in 2024. More of a hunch, but I can't imagine where. Summer would have been good if IO2 wasn't there.

This isn't moving.

Sonic 3 with Jim Carrey back is going to make BANK over the Christmas break.

Paramount will likely reboot to fully animated films like the recent Mario after Sonic 3. Being fully animated would give the next Sonic movie a much much higher boxoffice ceiling, especially in a post Mario film world.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

This isn't moving.

Paramount will likely reboot to fully animated films like the recent Mario after Sonic 3. Being fully animated would give the next Sonic movie a much much higher boxoffice ceiling, especially in a post Mario film world.

That's what I want too. Let this story end on a high note, as a trilogy fondly remembered by the fans for years to come alongside the best of the games. Then, get Marza to do an animated reboot in the style and spirit of the fantastic opening setpiece in Sonic Unleashed. I just hope they don't turn it into an emotionally hollow jukebox like that Mario movie was, and they prioritize actual character work above all.

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

This isn't moving.

Anyone expecting an animated Sonic to do as well as Mario is in for a rude awakening, imo. Mario was novel. It hadn't been done before, and while the story was more generic than I hoped, it looked beautiful. Sonic has a CG show on Netflix. Yeah, a theatrical film would have a bigger budget, but it's not a new experience.

I don't see why this has to make Mario numbers to be considered a success. I see this making closer to half of Mario which would already, in itself, make it the second most successful Video Game movie ever made (and a much needed W for Paramount)

19 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I don't see why this has to make Mario numbers to be considered a success. I see this making closer to half of Mario which would already, in itself, make it the second most successful Video Game movie ever made (and a much needed W for Paramount)

We're discussing a hypothetical all-animated reboot in regard to the Mario comparison. I don't quite understand why Paramount would want to go all-animated when these live-action hybrid films are doing great.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob Train said:

I don't see this having worse legs than Aquaman 2

Valid. So in that case maybe lower opening same total I guess. But I don't see that huge of an increase. If you consider the first one was cut off HARD by COVID the second one probably only increased from like $170M (this is what the first would've done without COVID) to $190M

Edited by HummingLemon496

2 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

https://twitter.com/_callmedante/status/1758465407357190552?s=46&t=j-w_KL5CgNq9XcglMqeW0A

So who is ready for the most awkward theater experience when sonic fans start cheering when a young girl dies on screen? Because if they don't the sonic fandom will be pissed off.

Make that "glorious". Endgame crowds will look like an addiction rehab group compared to us Sonic fans.