Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

It took CJohn about 2 minutes to come up with a Google translation. Terrible english but understandable. But it is also a nice way to study a language. You can compare the Google translated text with the original phrase by phrase (you should be able to read kyrillic in this case). You find that the Russian word for weekend is uikend, clearly borrowed from the English. The French also borrowed it (ne ce pas?). The German word is Wochenende as we can very easily form compound nouns.

I didn't think about this, I always translate sentences in English or Spanish, so...But I could use it for Asian languages I guess.

I know my English is far from perfect but I never use google to translate something to Russian. French or Spanish to Russian translation is too ugly and often uncomprehensible. French or Spanish to English work much better.

I tryed to use Google to translate text into a language I know and correct it afterwards. It turns out to be more work that translating it from scratch. Best way to use it: translate from a language you are not fluent enough into your native language and then guess what it really means.

I know my English is far from perfect but I never use google to translate something to Russian. French or Spanish to Russian translation is too ugly and often uncomprehensible. French or Spanish to English work much better.

Exactly, Russian is too different..Latin languages have a very different grammar.Russian is pretty close of German about this.

Exactly, Russian is too different..Latin languages have a very different grammar.Russian is pretty close of German about this.

The Russians have 6 cases and only 3 tenses, we have 6 tenses and 4 cases. ;)German is also very particular about the order of words. Edited by Rudolf

In this article http://boxofficeintouchables.unblog.fr/2012/03/23/box-office-russie-%E2%80%93-un-triste-record-pour-intouchables/ they say that the French movie Intouchables is the most illegaly watched foreign movie in Russia at the moment. Studios should have learned their lesson and become quicker to release these movies.

In this article http://boxofficeinto...r-intouchables/ they say that the French movie Intouchables is the most illegaly watched foreign movie in Russia at the moment. Studios should have learned their lesson and become quicker to release these movies.

It is all very complicated. There is a common stereotype that russians like french movies but that is mostly for broad comedies and some hard action movies. Young people mostly watch movies in theaters while the old generation is quite happy with TV.

Our distibutors are mostly lazy and incompetent. They can provide decent marketing only for action blockbasters and some comedies with huge TV support from prime channels.

And piracy is rampant. It is killing everything.

Also number of screens is not very high for such population so it is always hard enough to find screens and shows for such releases.

Distributors and theaters do not trust foreign films without big stars, they do not know what to do with them, they do not know how to advertise them. And some of them simply do not care.

Many such film were dumped without any advertising or even proper information. It is really hurt to see that. Rien à déclarer and Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis grossed 300k both put together. Le Petit Nicolas was released on 1 screen two years after France.

Edited by juni78ukr

Oh, and The Raven is a flop :o

That's another funny part of russian film market. This particular distributor Top Film since last December doesn't provide box office numbers anymore. Some of our box office analytics in the past accused Top Film in stealing money by underreporting grosses. Maybe they just got tired and angry. Now since last December box office grosses for their releases are never to be found. Most of them bombed terribly by the way.

Updated estimates:

1. Titanic 3,121,149 (-39%) 10,363,118

2. American Reunion 2,453,020 (-54%) 9,650,017

3. 21 Jump Street 2,377,624 on 473 screens

4. Wrath of the Titans 1,174,497 (-71%) 21,870,702

5. The Spy 1,033,557 (-54%) 3,819,232

6. The Cabin in The Woods 1,024,685 on 358 screens

7. Project X 570,470 (-53%) 3,092,683

8. Dark Tide 402,685 on 404 screens

9. The Lion King 3D 236,613 (-63%) 6,384,537

10. The Muppets 187,920 on 384 screens

11. The Hunger Games 154,520 (-77%) 13,323,060

12. Act of Valor 144,295 on 200 screens

13. Bel Ami 104,027 (-83%) 3,068,033

14. Lorax 60,403 (-77%) 15,953,914

15. Raid 49,010 (-60%) 220,610

Numbers in bold are actuals.

Edited by juni78ukr

Some thoughts before I'm finally going to sleep. A tough day tomorrow with US and Russian box office reports ahead. Titanic is doing pretty good. Partly it's because our major theater chains slightly increased number of shows compared to first week. Might gross around $14-14.5m at least. American Reunion drop is expected, but still nothing to be ashamed of. Probably wiil finish with around $12.5m total. Obviously a very good start for 21 Jump Street. Not great but still okay for The Cabin in the Woods.Wrath of Titans after a better start further fell behind after Clash of Titans. 636m vs 663m in RUB. Won't reach even 2 multiplyer. Around $23-23.5 total. Dark Tide and Act of Valor both expectedly bombed. There was no need to bring them to big screens here. Poor Muppets. A pretty dumb decision to wait 5 months and then dump a movie. The Lion King still doing great for a re-release. School holidays also helped though. The Hunger Games and Lorax are nearly finished their run. Bel Ami dropped like a rock. Have no idea about The Raven. Still anything much above $2000 per screen will greatly surprise me

Some thoughts before I'm finally going to sleep. A tough day tomorrow with US and Russian box office reports ahead.Titanic is doing pretty good. Partly it's because our major theater chains slightly increased number of shows compared to first week.Might gross around $14-14.5m at least.American Reunion drop is expected, but still nothing to be ashamed of. Probably wiil finish with around $12.5m total.Obviously a very good start for 21 Jump Street. Not great but still okay for The Cabin in the Woods.Wrath of Titans after a better start further fell behind after Clash of Titans. 636m vs 663m in RUB. Won't reach even 2 multiplyer. Around $23-23.5 total.Dark Tide and Act of Valor both expectedly bombed. There was no need to bring them to big screens here. Poor Muppets. A pretty dumb decision to wait 5 months and then dump a movie.The Lion King still doing great for a re-release. School holidays also helped though.The Hunger Games and Lorax are nearly finished their run. Bel Ami dropped like a rock. Have no idea about The Raven. Still anything much above $2000 per screen will greatly surprise me

We could expect more for Titanic given its China's performance, but it's way better than in 1998 after all.American Reunion did great for a comedy.